Menu

Colonoscopy prep preference

Kassia

Anything unflavoured.  It was the fake lemon flavoring that almost did me in. 

That's my big issue now.  I was supposed to do the GoLytely without the flavor packet but, apparently, my pharmacy only carries it with the lemon flavoring already mixed in and I didn't know it until I got home with it so they won't take it back.  I am SO upset.  I don't know if I can get it down with the flavoring.  

This whole thing has been such an ordeal and just one problem after another - I'm thinking about just canceling the darn procedure.  

That's my big issue now.  I was supposed to do the GoLytely without the flavor packet but, apparently, my pharmacy only carries it with the lemon flavoring already mixed in and I didn't know it until I got home with it so they won't take it back.  I am SO upset.  I don't know if I can get it down with the flavoring.  

This whole thing has been such an ordeal and just one problem after another - I'm thinking about just canceling the darn procedure.  

Have you tried it with the flavoring yet? I was going to go unflavored when I did it but it was pretty yuck so I ended up adding the flavoring and it was still yuck but easier for me. I think the key is to have it really, really cold. I would take it out of the fridge just long enough to pour a glass and then put it back in to keep it really cold. Also chugging it was the only way I could do it. I just got the glass and glugged it down every 30 mins or however often it was. Mine worked really well in terms of prepping for the procedure.

• Like 1

I can't remember which I had, but I couldn't keep it down. I don't think it was the flavor packet's fault. I think I started around 2 pm with the procedure scheduled for the next morning. After many attempts and much barfing, at about 7 pm I called the on-call doc to find out what to do. He tried calling in a different prescription (suprep sounds familiar) but the pharmacy didn't have it in stock. The pharmacist was the one who told me about mixing Miralax and Gatorade (I'm thinking it was 237 gm jar and 64 oz Gatorade), and I was able to keep that down and it cleaned me out. I asked the doctor after my procedure if it was good enough and he said it was fine. So that is what I will in 8 years when I need to do it again.

Coldness is your friend.  It disables taste buds.  This is why it is stupid that restaurants give you ice water.  Good restaurants don't.

Chugging is a life skill.  Chugging is the reason companies that make bad beer stay in business.  I don't recall whether the Suprep had any flavor because I wasn't sipping at it.  It was just ... gone.  

I will also add that I know you have more issues all around in this subject area, and so I know this is hard for you.  (((K)))

Thanks. I plan on keeping it cold and will focus on chugging.  I'm just afraid chugging will result in vomiting.  

Yes, it's been hard.  I've been in tears all day.  Getting a screening colonoscopy shouldn't be this hard.  Thanks for the hugs.  :)

I can't remember which I had, but I couldn't keep it down. I don't think it was the flavor packet's fault. I think I started around 2 pm with the procedure scheduled for the next morning. After many attempts and much barfing, at about 7 pm I called the on-call doc to find out what to do. He tried calling in a different prescription (suprep sounds familiar) but the pharmacy didn't have it in stock. The pharmacist was the one who told me about mixing Miralax and Gatorade (I'm thinking it was 237 gm jar and 64 oz Gatorade), and I was able to keep that down and it cleaned me out. I asked the doctor after my procedure if it was good enough and he said it was fine. So that is what I will in 8 years when I need to do it again.

I used Miralax a few weeks ago and it didn't work for me.  It's too bad because I tolerated it well and I would feel a lot better about doing that again.  

I did it last week. I had Mag Citrate (not sure of the brand name) that was a yucky lemon flavor. I used a lot of crushed ice and a straw. I put the straw fairly far back in my mouth to try to limit the amount on my tongue. That helped a little. And I did it as fast as I could. 

I did it last week. I had Mag Citrate (not sure of the brand name) that was a yucky lemon flavor. I used a lot of crushed ice and a straw. I put the straw fairly far back in my mouth to try to limit the amount on my tongue. That helped a little. And I did it as fast as I could. 

Thanks.  I have to have two bottles of that, too.  I will have to remember to put the straw in the back of my mouth - going to make a note of that now.  

You may have more going for you than I did.  I was used to doing a salt water flush, which is drinking a quart of water with (I think?) a tablespoon of sea salt in it all within 10 minutes or so.  I did that here and there for a couple of years before the colonoscopy, for different reasons.  So drinking the colonoscopy prep drink wasn't that hard for me -- I chug like Patty Joanna says --  it was the last lemon-flavored swallow at the end of the long chug that made me gag; I didn't taste the lemon while chugging. But what I am meaning to say is that since you probably don't have a history of drinking a large amount of a salty drink in a short time like I did, the lemon may not bother you as much.