Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Butter

Can anyone explain this (pleco fish)?

A few months ago we got an albino pleco (suckerfish).  A few weeks ago my oldest son was looking at the tank and there were now two albino plecos.  The one we bought is obviously a female and the new one (full grown) is a male.  Today my middle son was looking at the back corner of the tank for some reason and discover 4 very small baby albino plecos.

So I can understand how having an adult male and an adult female would give us babies, but can anyone explain how we got the second pleco in the first place???

I know nothing about fish, but found this and thought it was hilarious:

“Breeding common plecos is incredibly difficult and only a small number of hobbyists have ever successfully bred them.â€

• Like 10

Oh, do you have another tank nearby?  Apparently they can jump tanks:

• Like 1

Maybe it was hidden in a plant?

No plants.  Well, we have plastic plants, but no real ones.

“Breeding common plecos is incredibly difficult and only a small number of hobbyists have ever successfully bred them.â€

Well, then...  :lol:

Oh, do you have another tank nearby?  Apparently they can jump tanks:

Nope, just one big tank.  Since it's a turtle tank, the water isn't even all the way to the top (it's a 55 gallon with 25-30 gallons in it).

Ancistrus, the bristle noses plecos, are actually extremely easy to breed in captivity. They’re kind of like guppies ;)

It really depends on the species, but many of the Loricariids are easy breeders.

Edited by Arctic Mama

You probably had a tiny hitchhiker on the original pleco when you bought it.  

That or a fertilized egg on her when we got is the only thing we could come up with.  A hitchhiker would've had to have been holding on tight.  It took the girl at the pet store a solid 5 minutes of chasing the plecos to capture the one we ended up with.  Those things are *fast* (which is actually why we got that particular type because our red-eared sliders - the turtles who own the tank - would eat them if they weren't - and they did eat the big, black pleco we got).

Are they bristlenose plecos?

I don't know, but I looked at pictures and they definitely do not have anything in front like the pictures show.  They are all smooth.