Menu

Go to MD or wait?

Tap

DD11 has  a bruise on her neck about the size of a paper dollar (edited for clarification). It is under her ear, on her neck where it meets her shoulder. I noticed it tonight but I wasn't with her this weekend so I have no idea how long it has been there. She spent the weekend at a wedding at the Oregon Coast.  Hotels, sand, event centers etc. The bruise is almost all brown with some areas that are splotchy red which could be red because she was rubbing it. 

She thinks it is from rubbing her neck too hard.  She has been complaining about a sore neck in the same area for a couple of weeks, but pains are common for her so I didn't think much of it.  (migrating growing pains)

I snapped a picture of it before she went to bed and when I looked at it later, I noticed there is a small dark spot in the middle that looks like a bite mark (single hole).  There is a very, very fine covering of very tiny blister looking spots over the bruise (could be from her irritating it by rubbing it).  She is Native American, so bruises don't show easily.  The hole literally looks like a hole made in a wall from a tack.  Just a tiny hole. Slightly red. No swelling, no hives.  No black, oozing, sign of infection.  Normal looking brown bruise. No bullseye or ring. 

I asked dh if she slept in the car (seat belt bruise?) he said for a little bit, but not too long. 

Now I am left wondering if I should take her to the doctor.  If her neck hurt bad enough that she is rubbing a bruise into it....I should take her in. If is a bruise from a  bug bite...I am inclined to wait a day or so and see if it fades. 

I don't know how to link a picture from my phone without going to a 3rd party website, and am too tired to do that. If anyone knows an easy way from a samsung Galaxy, let me know and I will link a pix.

WWYD? The appt will be free, it is more of a stress/taking her to the doctor issue.  She is autistic/aspergers so it is more effort than a regular kid.

Edited by Tap

A bruise from an unknown origin that is the size of a dollar would concern me. Like a dollar bill? That's pretty big. If I couldn't think of a specific injury, I'd take her in. Actually, because of the location, I'd take her in for an injury, too.

And my perspective was the size of a loonie, so not terribly huge!
  • Like 2

It sounds like it could be a bug bite.  Maybe a spider bite?  Maybe that's why it was hurting.

Does she say it still hurts?

If it seems better this morning, then I'd put some antibiotic cream on it and wait and see a bit.

If it's still bothering her or seems worse, then I'd probably take her in.

• Like 1

So we are talking coin dollar, not dollar bill dollar, correct? Does sound like a bug bite - did you draw around it with a marker to see if it spreads overnight? Or can you compare it with the photo to see if it spread? I am inclined to get her checked out whether it spread or not, with her level of discomfort for so long...what if this is something else that has been going on and is only now working its way to the surface?

Would she put up with a doctor visit for French fires or another rare treat afterwards? My son with autism got through doctor visits and shots to earn fries or two donuts from a local bakery.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

for clarification....it is the size of a paper dollar.  

I agree with you all...I make an appointment.  I was hoping you would say "no biggie, we get bruises like that all the time. 

:001_smile:

A bruise that size without knowing why would concern me, especially if there's what appears to be a blistered bite mark in the middle.  I might even call urgent care and ask if they should take care of it or we should go to the ER.

• Like 1