Menu

Fun summer (non-math) math

Earthmerlin

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for this summer (during break) but I'd like non-math math activities. The idea is to regain a love of math for my 3rd grader, who has had an intense (& sometimes not-so-pleasant) year of public school math. The math has increased in complexity, speed, and pressure this year. So I'd like to keep her (mathematically) engaged over the summer but without worksheets or anything timed. It'd be great to 'sneak' it in--through different disciplines. I already use books and board games. She's arty and enjoyed an arty math camp last year--so any resources on combining the 2 subjects would be appreciated. Anything else creative or a novel approach you have in mind is also welcome.

Amazing Math Projects You Can Build is fun, as is This is Not a Maths Book: A Smart Art Activity Book (they have a second volume and a science/art book too).

Thanks for the response. It's funny you mentioned the second title as I just bought it on Amazon today--too synchronistic! I like the first title you mentioned as it incorporates building stuff--I'll look into today!

How about games? Prime Climb, Zeus on the Loose and others like them.

Also, fun reads like the Sir Cumference Series or The Number Devil or Bedtime Math.

Yes, we have games (including Zeus on the Loose). I will look into Prime Climb. I have eyed it for awhile now but thought it include too advanced math at the time. I'll look at its rules amd objectives again.

We just read Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi for Pi day. We also enjoy Bedtime Math from time to time. I tried the Number Devil before but she didn't go for it then. I can pull it back out this summer. We also have the Horrible Maths series (I believe it's called) but the concept of 'gross humor' doesn't appeal to her (sigh). Books are a great idea overall though!

Usborne has some super fun math books.

I just did a quick search on Amazon and there are plenty of titles. Illustrated dictionaries aren't what I'm after. I see several 'lift the flap' books--is that too primary school? Are you talking about activity books? Can you recommend any specific titles that were super fun at your house?

Edited by Earthmerlin