Menu

Physical science with upcoming 8th grader and advanced 5th grader?

Any recommendations for Physical Science with an 8th grader and advanced 5th grader? I would probably have them read separately, but do experiments as a family. My kids have been taking Apologia science at a homeschool enrichment center the last few years, but we will most likely be doing science at home this next year. I really don't want to do three different sciences, but I'm not sure how I want to combine the kids this coming year. My oldest is finishing up Apologia's General Science and will be ready for Apologia's Physical Science in 8th grade. My middle child is finishing Zoology 3: Land Animals and was going to take Chem/Physics next year for 5th grade. My youngest is taking Zoology 2: Swimming Creature and was going to take Astronomy next year for 3rd grade. 

I think my focus needs to be on my 8th grader and something related to Physical Science. The Apologia topics for Physical Science are some of what she is weakest in and make a good fit, I'm just not sold on Apologia (but my kids seem to enjoy it and never complain about it). She keeps talking about wanting to take Physics, but doesn't have the math to jump into it yet. The topics for Apologia Physical Science: 

• Measurement and Units, The Earth, Atmosphere, Hydrosphere, and Lithosphere, Weather, Introduction to Physics to understand the mechanics of motion, forces, and energy,  Newton’s Laws and the Forces in Creation to understand friction, static and kinetic energy, gravity, electromagnetic forces, and electrical circuits, Solar System, Stars, and Galaxies. An Introduction to Chemistry for a basic introduction to atoms and molecules. 
  •  

It probably makes more sense to combine my advanced upcoming 5th grader with his older sister than with my upcoming 3rd grader.  My middle child is currently in 4th grade and reading at a 9th or 10th grade level and retains most of what he reads in science and history. He may not be able to handle all the written work though, but that's easy to cut back on. He's working above level in History, but I've kept him at grade level in Science at our enrichment center. If I could have my youngest do a WTM recommended approach on these topics, it would keep us all together. 

•  

Someone recommended MasterBooks Applied Engineering. It sounds interesting, but I'm a bit hesitant to not cover Physical Sciences in a tradtional way. Yet, I'd love to do something more delight led. Please send any recommendations my way!

I haven't used it yet, but Hewitt has a Conceptual Physical Science and a Conceptual Physical Science Explorations. The former should be fine for 8th grade, and the latter might work for advanced 5th? I think they're supposed to be pretty similar, with the latter being easier.

Anyway, maybe someone else will chime in. 

I'm getting the Masterbooks Science Starters Chemistry and Physics for my upcoming 5th grader:  

https://www.masterbooks.com/science-starters-elementary-chemistry-physics-pack 

They also have Physical and Earth Science: 

https://www.masterbooks.com/science-starters-elementary-physical-earth-science-pack

I'm planning for this to be as independent as possible for him.  I decided to separate my kids for science because they are interested in different topics and I think they can really do this on their own with the way the Masterbooks programs are laid out. 

Edited to add,

The Chemistry and Physics program is described as 3rd-6th grade and I believe they have different work options for different levels.  There is also an astronomy course in this category rated 3rd-6th.  The physical earth science course is rated 4th-6th.

Edited again to add--

I'm getting the General Science 1 and 2 sets for my 7th grader to do over the next two years.  My kids hated apologia and this seems to be a good balance of a textbook approach with independent activities. 

https://www.masterbooks.com/general-science-1-survey-of-earth-sky-curriculum-pack

Edited by kristin0713