Menu

Vent: There are no magic weight loss cures

Soror

Airbonne, Beachbody, Plexus,  and "Super Coffee" blech.

People join one and RAVE then they are on to the next. 

There are no short-cuts or miracle cures. The real test is if the weight stays off.

I'm so tired of seeing the sales pitches and people taking advantage of desperate people with one scheme after the next.

Edited by soror
  • Like 25

I am so tired of this, plus all the MLM programs out there that get mentioned whenever you ask for advice (and explicitly specify no MLMs.)  I was asking a local moms group about local gentle yoga options for people with injuries and foot/ankle problems.  I got a slew of responses from people trying to sell me something like you mentioned.  Then there was the crossfit coach who told me that the only way I would lose weight was to do crossfit and "no pain, no gain, blah blah blah."  Umm .... no.  Nothing gentle about crossfit.  Heck, every single person I know who has done it has had a significant injury.  I never did an answer to my original question.  

• Like 8

There should be a magic pill.

I am not a fan of the mlm people pushing their weight loss products.

Need to lose weight? There's an oil for that.

Summers coming-beach body (news flash- every body is a beach body/

Keto-you need to buy my keto productsbfor weight loss.

So annoying. Bottom line is- the secret to weight loss- count your calories and eat mostly plants.

• Like 4

The way I figure it is this: if Oprah hasn't figured out the secret to weight loss, with all her personal chefs and trainers, what chance do the rest of us mere mortals have? I resorted to gastric bypass which, two months in, has been nothing short of miraculous for me. But, as we all know, keeping it off is the hardest part.

• Like 22

Airbonne, Beachbody, Plexus,  and "Super Coffee" blech.

People join one and RAVE then they are on to the next. 

There are no short-cuts or miracle cures. The real test is if the weight stays off.

I'm so tired of seeing the sales pitches and people taking advantage of desperate people with one scheme after the next.

Beachbody may not be your cup of tea but describing an hour-long workout and a low-sugar, low/no alcohol diet for the rest of your life as "magic" is a bit unfair IMO.

Unless you're talking about Shakeology... which definitely belongs in this list.

• Like 1

I am so tired of this, plus all the MLM programs out there that get mentioned whenever you ask for advice (and explicitly specify no MLMs.)  I was asking a local moms group about local gentle yoga options for people with injuries and foot/ankle problems.  I got a slew of responses from people trying to sell me something like you mentioned.  Then there was the crossfit coach who told me that the only way I would lose weight was to do crossfit and "no pain, no gain, blah blah blah."  Umm .... no.  Nothing gentle about crossfit.  Heck, every single person I know who has done it has had a significant injury.  I never did an answer to my original question.  

I'd see if there are any aerial yoga classes near you.  They have these long sheets of 6' wide hammock silk that hook into the ceiling, and you do yoga swinging in the slings.  One local weather guy, who I'd guess is at least 6'4" and 350 pounds, maybe 400, tried it on camera and loved it.  He mentioned something about a bunch of old football injuries that usually made him hate yoga.  I was nervous he was just too big for it, and while it did seem to be a bit more challenging for him than for the skinny anchors that also tried with him, he handled it just fine, and pain free.

Here's a video (not the local weather guy) to give you an idea:

https://youtu.be/IhvHFxg_U60?t=19s

• Like 1

ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s also no such thing as spot weight loss which is a shame. I wish some parts of my body had stuck around. Instead, they volunteered first and the weight IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d really rather not have stuck around would have taken itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s place.

• Like 13

Beachbody may not be your cup of tea but describing an hour-long workout and a low-sugar, low/no alcohol diet for the rest of your life as "magic" is a bit unfair IMO.

Unless you're talking about Shakeology... which definitely belongs in this list.

whaaa? 

beachbody from what I see in my social media feeds is just another MLM, shilling program after program, challenge after challenge and yeah, supplement after supplement. 

they were also fined almost $4 million last year for automatically renewing & billing people's credit cards... 

• Like 2

ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s also no such thing as spot weight loss which is a shame. I wish some parts of my body had stuck around. Instead, they volunteered first and the weight IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d really rather not have stuck around would have taken itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s place.

I lose weight like a candle - from the top first. My face and collar bones look all gaunt while my butt is still super padded.

And the saggy skin kind of pools around the middle like on a candle too...

• Like 8

I lose weight like a candle - from the top first. My face and collar bones look all gaunt while my butt is still super padded.

And the saggy skin kind of pools around the middle like on a candle too...

Me too, I've turned into a pear shape, I miss my hourglass, oh well, it is what it is!

I'd see if there are any aerial yoga classes near you.  They have these long sheets of 6' wide hammock silk that hook into the ceiling, and you do yoga swinging in the slings.  One local weather guy, who I'd guess is at least 6'4" and 350 pounds, maybe 400, tried it on camera and loved it.  He mentioned something about a bunch of old football injuries that usually made him hate yoga.  I was nervous he was just too big for it, and while it did seem to be a bit more challenging for him than for the skinny anchors that also tried with him, he handled it just fine, and pain free.

Aerial yoga can also be very challenging, I'd call first. 

BB bothers me for few different reasons.

1- Shakeology stuff- is not that special

2- It is MLM

3-I don't think it is (1) sustainable for 99% of people and (2) the intensity level in most of the programs is too high for the beginners

I actually did p90x many years ago and I got in great shape but I was late 20s/early 30s then, normal weight, no injuires, and already in decent shape. I don't think most of their programs are a good idea for those just starting out. I see people hopping on the bandwagon over and over again but it is so extreme they can't keep with it. 

LOL!!! The body can have a mind of its own :)

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I've had some luck this month with "upper respiratory virus". Good for 3 or 4 pounds anyway. It works by taking away your sense of smell and interest in food.

:lol:

That's the usual silver lining with illness. 

Ulcers too.  I can't take all the credit for working hard all the time when trying to lose weight the past year.  Having an ulcer really kills the appetite (and one's will to live).

• Like 4

I'd see if there are any aerial yoga classes near you. They have these long sheets of 6' wide hammock silk that hook into the ceiling, and you do yoga swinging in the slings. One local weather guy, who I'd guess is at least 6'4" and 350 pounds, maybe 400, tried it on camera and loved it. He mentioned something about a bunch of old football injuries that usually made him hate yoga. I was nervous he was just too big for it, and while it did seem to be a bit more challenging for him than for the skinny anchors that also tried with him, he handled it just fine, and pain free.

I love the idea of aerial yoga, but I'm not as agile as I used to be, not is my balance the same. I'm worried I'd get stuck in a position or fall over. The studio in town charges an arm and a leg for this class.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, what is UP with the boobs volunteering as tribute thing?  Waaaaah!

Also, re. Beachbody, I have a friend who leads one of these, and she is fantastic.  She sets a good example but she is not pushy. 

I don't have an MLM personally, but I know that not all MLMs are of the devil.  And of even the ones that are, there are good folks doing them.  I have two friends who sell Lilla Rose hair clips and such, who are great.  And several friends who sell Amway, ditto.  It's really important, I think, not to tar all MLMs with the same brush.  

• Like 4

FWIW -- A couple of months ago I signed up for monthly streaming of Classical Stretch/Essentrics. It's $14.95 a month. It's kind of a mish mash combination of yoga, tai chi and her own stuff. For the most part I like it. She can drive me nuts with her constant talking and not-very-clear instructions, but I have to say that I'm feeling a LOT looser and less stiff since I started. She does quite a bit of ankle/foot stretching and flexibility work. Can be canceled at any time. But if you like very precise instructions and someone who always does the exact same number of repetitions on each side she may not be for you. :lol:

• Like 2

re: MLM's I don't think they are all the "devil" but I do fundamentally disagree with the business model.

I'm rather tired of the guilt trips from the sellers that you aren't a good friend if you don't buy their overpriced stuff, which is not fundamentally different from anything else out there, no matter what they say.

I'm tired of people using friendships as a way to sell stuff.

Even better I love the line that all these sellers just want to help people. No, the primary goal is to make money. If you want to just help people there are a ton of ways to do so that are free-

• Like 6

I've had some luck this month with "upper respiratory virus". Good for 3 or 4 pounds anyway. It works by taking away your sense of smell and interest in food.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Norovirus works even "better".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can also try "Fox Family Boot Camp" which is any extended stay at my mom's, where she works you to exhaustion and feeds you as little as possible.  DD lost 10 pounds in the week she spent there last year.

My mother also offers the kids a yearly "intensive" survival camping course. :glare: 

• Like 3

I am so tired of this, plus all the MLM programs out there that get mentioned whenever you ask for advice (and explicitly specify no MLMs.) I was asking a local moms group about local gentle yoga options for people with injuries and foot/ankle problems. I got a slew of responses from people trying to sell me something like you mentioned. Then there was the crossfit coach who told me that the only way I would lose weight was to do crossfit and "no pain, no gain, blah blah blah." Umm .... no. Nothing gentle about crossfit. Heck, every single person I know who has done it has had a significant injury. I never did an answer to my original question.

Try asking at your local senior center. Those ladies know how to stay active without injuring themselves. I found a gentle yoga at my gym. Most people there were 70 or pregnant, but I really needed that deep stretch. It was awesome.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

I know someone who totally reshaped her body using P90X from BeachBody. She did join a gym at some point but those P90X workouts are no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Norovirus works even "better".

Not for me! I weighed myself as soon as I was feeling human again after being sick with a stomach bug last week, and I was sitting at the same weight as the last time I'd weighed in. So not fair!

• Like 4

Not for me! I weighed myself as soon as I was feeling human again after being sick with a stomach bug last week, and I was sitting at the same weight as the last time I'd weighed in. So not fair!

I lost 5 or 6 lbs, but most of it came back so quickly that it must've been dehydration. Maybe you're better at staying hydrated while sick?

• Like 1

Metformin is the closest I've ever come to finding a magic pill. But that just fixed my insulin resistance and made me the same as everyone else. At the time though, not having a burning need to eat every carb on the planet felt like magic. ;) 

And MLMs are the devil. 

• Like 7

I have plexus people on my Facebook. I should just unfriend them all. I looked up someone I lost contact with and she was such a sweetheart and now she's a plexus zombie. It's literally ALL she's posted about in months. One person is in great shape and does Crossfit and eats a super healthy diet, but gives plexus all the credit for how great she feels. :confused1:

But yeah, there are no short cuts. :( Wish there were.

• Like 1

I have plexus people on my Facebook. I should just unfriend them all. I looked up someone I lost contact with and she was such a sweetheart and now she's a plexus zombie. It's literally ALL she's posted about in months. One person is in great shape and does Crossfit and eats a super healthy diet, but gives plexus all the credit for how great she feels. :confused1:

But yeah, there are no short cuts. :( Wish there were.

Oh, yes, again I see another Arbonne lady spouting how it was the key for her, but she is literally an exercise instructor, no amount of Arbonne products will make you look like that!!! What drives me even crazier is all the post about how wonderful their skincare stuff is but they use pictures with filters on them, I'm not sure how their Christian conscience excuses that.

Metformin is the closest I've ever come to finding a magic pill. But that just fixed my insulin resistance and made me the same as everyone else. At the time though, not having a burning need to eat every carb on the planet felt like magic. ;)

And MLMs are the devil. 

I agree with that, some people's bodies are wonky and need some help. Gastric Bypass is the answer for some. Some need some help with insulin resistance and some have hormone or thyroid issues. My insulin levels started to climb after my last baby but are back to normal now. I remember some crazy cravings when I was really out of whack- crazy hormones and thyroid, oh vey. I have to take thyroid meds too because I have Hashimoto's and my weight certainly climbs when I get out of whack, I've had a hard time getting and keeping my levels good, partly because I don't like taking medication! Thankfully, for me, I've not put on a crazy amount, even when my numbers were in the absolute toilet (TSH of 39) I just put on not quite 20 lbs. But even my thyroid pills aren't magic. I still track what I eat and exercise. I did have one friend that lost 10 lbs without even thinking of it when she adjusted thyroid meds but it doesn't work like that for most people

I know a couple people that sell stuff like that. One posts about it but never singled me out. One I attended a fb party I think? I read some stuff that implied it wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t tested enough to have much feedback but at the same time the reps were pushing the while healthy, natural, safe for pregnant/nursing moms thing. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t delve further into it but was asked recently if I had any friends I could invite to the recent fb party. That made me feel icky. I said no. ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s another mom that only paid attention to me really when she was trying to sell me books. I miss when people wanted to actually hang out just because. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t imagine how they get people to every party. I mean you have to add up points per person for prizes. Nightmare. Lol at least that is how one was.

Yes, my relative that sells Arbonne did that to me. Called me to tell me I needed to have a party for all my HS friends. Arbonne is GF and super healthy and she could teach us all about it. Hmmpf. I'm not into GF just for fun and I've been at this for 10+ years, I've got this covered. My close friends and I have vast experience cooking real foods for many, many years, it is not some new thing for us and we share with each other all for free, crazy concept.

• Like 1

I just finished listening to this as an audiobook:

https://smile.amazon.com/Economists-Diet-Surprising-Formula-Keeping/dp/1501160702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521548604&sr=8-1&keywords=economist's+diet

I've been doing my own lifestyle change over the last year using many of their ideas and I've lost 25 pounds at a pace of about 2 pounds a month. It took a long time to see any change but I just kept chugging. The book is a lot of fun to listen to if you like behavioral economics and the advice is sound. Basically, they say to eat less, doh! But they give some good tips on how to actually do this in a modern office job with lots of temptation.

My own regimen, the Chiguirre Diet, involves a strictish calorie budget of 2000/day (this is for a 5'10", currently 212 lb. rodent, you'll have to adjust if you're a lot smaller or bigger than me) and a goal of walking 5000 steps a day. The Economists are anti strict calorie counting, but I find the slightly looser version I do (I round numbers, measure stuff until I can eyeball it, check restaurant menus online and preplan my order, take package nutrition labels at face value) easy to incorporate into my day. I also don't weigh daily because I do fluctuate a lot (as I suspect women tend to do more than men) and if I just weigh in every week I'm almost sure to see progress if I stick to my calorie budget. I don't really have a goal weight. When I plateau, I'll see where I stand and if I'm happy with that or if I need to cut the calories. I like to eat so if I manage to make it safely into just overweight, I'll probably hold at 2000 calories. I'm already pretty happy with how I look in jeans.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 1

I love the idea of aerial yoga, but I'm not as agile as I used to be, not is my balance the same. I'm worried I'd get stuck in a position or fall over. The studio in town charges an arm and a leg for this class.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

An arm and a leg. How much weight do you lose when you hand over your arm and leg? (Har har.) ... (Sorry.)

• Like 4

And MLMs are the devil. 

I've tried that one and the extended release - both made me stuck in the bathroom for a week with constant GI issues.  I've always wondered if people who find it a magic bullet are immune to the side effects, or if you just suddenly get over them.

• Like 1

whaaa? 

beachbody from what I see in my social media feeds is just another MLM, shilling program after program, challenge after challenge and yeah, supplement after supplement. 

they were also fined almost $4 million last year for automatically renewing & billing people's credit cards... 

It's definitely not cool that their auto-recharge was set up unfairly, but Farmers Insurance and the University of Washington also did that to me so, I dunno, that doesn't strike me as evil. Bad, definitely. But $4m suggests that the court found them to be bad and not purposefully evil--they could have fined much more. $4m would probably cover financial damages and legal fees only, no punitive.

I still think the new programs are great and I don't sell it. You don't want to do the same intense workout again and again. The reason they keep developing new programs is that people get bored of the old ones. 

And again, if an hour long high-intensity workout six days a week with a low-sugar diet is considered "magic", then I guess I believe in magic. :)

I used it to train for a major fitness/outdoors rite of passage here in the PNW and when people heard the program I was using they said "oh, you'll be totally fine".

Here is the (free) Insanity nutrition guide:

https://vidweb.aws.marketlive.com/beachbody_vid/images/pdf/insanity-xbox-nutrition-guide.pdf

It's not easy and nobody says it's easy. I have literally never seen any doctor contradict this eating plan which does not forbid anything but highly processed foods. To wit, my partner and I were relieved when we saw it. "Oh good, it's what we already ate without the occasional crap."

Again, I get your point about Shakeology and MLM, totally, but I really, truly do not think anyone at Beachbody is selling magic. They are selling a complete program of hard work, self-restraint, and a community for motivation. Literally the three points any doctor will tell you that you need.

If this were a post about MLM I guess I'd be more on board, but if you do all of Insanity or P90X and follow the dietary guidelines (which are, again, eminently reasonable), it is impossible that you don't lose weight and keep it off for the duration of the program. "It works!" because great nutrition and exercise "works". If that doesn't work for you, at the end, you have legitimate proof to bring to your doctor of the workouts you did and meals you ate, and absolute worst case outcome, they will see that you are taking health seriously with a 40 - 120 workout daily and great nutrition.

• Like 2

I think on Beachbody, to some extent, the issue may not be if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a quality program for someone who adheres to it.

It is more, is this really a good choice for everyone?

And if it is not, is it ethical to hard-sell it?

I think the issue is more with the marketing and appropriateness.

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the same with a lot of things that are selling a fantasy they know is unrealistic for many of the people being targeted.

And then if there are certain sales tactics being used, that is an issue.

Because for someone who is trying to sell Beachbody products, even if they are true believers, they arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t out to help someone find the best and most appropriate plan for them.

They are out to sell Beachbody products.

If somebody is really helpful, only recommends Beachbody to people they think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s truly a good fit for, etc, then I think that is a different situation.

When I have had people try to sell me a supplement (I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember the name) it was really more of a hard sell to anybody.

If I had found the same product by doing research it could be good.

It could be the same product but the context matters if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s good or bad for a person, and if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s really a good choice or someone is using sales tactics.

• Like 4

How is that description of Beachbody any different from Weight Watchers or any other program?  I feel sorry for my honest, kind friends who are involved with MLMs they truly believe in, who are not pushy, and who offer but don't shove, if people dislike them just because they are MLM folks.  

And MLMs are the devil. 

I've tried that one and the extended release - both made me stuck in the bathroom for a week with constant GI issues.  I've always wondered if people who find it a magic bullet are immune to the side effects, or if you just suddenly get over them.

I didn't have the same effects with Metformin. It did not stop any cravings but it didn't cause any additional GI issues.  I wish it helped with the cravings, quitting sweets was freaking hard and is still a daily battle.  I mean I had an english muffin, egg, and avocado this morning, I was stuffed really, but I was still craving a donut.

I think on Beachbody, to some extent, the issue may not be if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a quality program for someone who adheres to it.

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the same with a lot of things that are selling a fantasy they know is unrealistic for many of the people being targeted.

And then if there are certain sales tactics being used, that is an issue.

Because for someone who is trying to sell Beachbody products, even if they are true believers, they arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t out to help someone find the best and most appropriate plan for them.

They are out to sell Beachbody products.

If somebody is really helpful, only recommends Beachbody to people they think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s truly a good fit for, etc, then I think that is a different situation.

When I have had people try to sell me a supplement (I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember the name) it was really more of a hard sell to anybody.

If I had found the same product by doing research it could be good.

It could be the same product but the context matters if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s good or bad for a person, and if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s really a good choice or someone is using sales tactics.

ITA with everything above.

How is that description of Beachbody any different from Weight Watchers or any other program?  I feel sorry for my honest, kind friends who are involved with MLMs they truly believe in, who are not pushy, and who offer but don't shove, if people dislike them just because they are MLM folks.  

I don't dislike people just b/c they sell MLM. I have some friends that sell various things, none of my close friends have tried to hard sell me anything. I do lose respect for people that drink too much cool-aid and push their product on everyone. I lose respect when someone tells me their MLM of choice cures cancer and everything else out there. 

But there are scores, literally scores of videos to choose from. How is "eat less processed food" not for everyone? You don't have to do Insanity. There are so many choices, from gentle yoga, to ChaLean Extreme, there are modifiers... I dunno, I get that disabled people are going to be unable to do the extreme videos even with mods but frankly our schools use Beachbody (Insanity, P90X, etc.) to train kids and it works.  It's push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups, running in place, jumping jacks, and eating salmon with greens. And if you do the mods, it's just the movements without jumping. 

There is nothing that is for everyone. But I don't think it's unethical to say "oh my gosh, this is the best thing ever, it really works, it's hard core, try it." Especially not when you are talking about something that has a lot of levels, choices, and is eminently basic advice, exercise more, eat better so you can make calories count.

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the same with a lot of things that are selling a fantasy they know is unrealistic for many of the people being targeted....

I don't think that "more exercise, regular exercise, and a well-balanced, low-processed-food diet" is in any way only appropriate to a few individuals. I think that is the only way to maintain fitness for a lifetime. The only way. Whether you use the Beachbody or Weight Watchers or other program for community support is up to you, but I don't think you can get around it. For some very overweight people, you may only be able to do modified exercises until you lose a lot of weight, and you might need surgery for that. But nobody's stopping you from combining them. In fact my Beachbody coach had weight loss surgery and she fully claimed it. She said she wanted to ramp up intensity and needed to lose weight, got the surgery, and committed to this for life. She's still slim. She works out all the time. That's how you do it. Move all the time. 

The supplements and Shakeology are indeed more of a "magic" cure which I've said.

I do get what you guys are saying about pushy. However, just as I wouldn't turn anyone away from Weight Watchers, I wouldn't turn anyone away from Beachbody. Ultimately, you're going to lose weight and stay fit (how much depends on your genes and persistence) by moving more and eating less. Eating a varied diet and fresh foods + a daily plan for accountability are the best ways to do that.

That is not magic.

I can't think of a lot of things I've gotten via direct marketing that I loved, but Beachbody and Girl Scout cookies are two reasons I don't dismiss them out of hand (and YES, Scouts have to buy their cookies up front :/ ).

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

I do get what you guys are saying about pushy. However, just as I wouldn't turn anyone away from Weight Watchers, I wouldn't turn anyone away from Beachbody. Ultimately, you're going to lose weight and stay fit (how much depends on your genes and persistence) by moving more and eating less. Eating a varied diet and fresh foods + a daily plan for accountability are the best ways to do that.

That is not magic.

I can't think of a lot of things I've gotten via direct marketing that I loved, but Beachbody and Girl Scout cookies are two reasons I don't dismiss them out of hand (and YES, Scouts have to buy their cookies up front :/ ).

So if it is that simple, why would anyone need to pay that kind of money for it?  I can find someone for free on-line to talk to and get my own fresh foods.  And then when I screw that up at least I won't be broke on top of it.

:laugh:

• Like 3

The girls don't buy cookies up front, they take orders door to door or online (or at mom and dad's office). The troops can choose to buy cookies up front to set up cookie booths using troop money. In our council, troops can borrow cookies to sell at booths if they don't have the cash up front from the cookie cupboard. Girl Scout cookies are addictive little buggers, but they're not a MLM scheme.

• Like 2