Menu

Dry Needling or Acupuncture for Lower Back Pain? BTDT?

Tammi K

I have not, but DH has had acupuncture for lower back pain and it made a big difference.  We recently had a relative who was in tears with back pain, DH suggested she see the acupuncturist and she called the day after her appointment saying that she already was seeing a huge difference.  She did said that DH lied when he said it didn't hurt to have it done because she did hurt during the procedure--but she said it was well worth it and immediately scheduled two more visits.  

The acupuncturist DH has seen is also an MD and teaches at a medical school.  His father was an acupuncturist and he is well-trained in both eastern and western approaches to medicine.

• Like 2

The only time I've ever been to the acupuncturist was for sudden-onset lower back pain.  It hurt to stand up, it hurt to walk, it just hurt.  After a couple of days of this, I went to the acupuncturist, who worked on it for about an hour.  It wasn't significantly better when I walked out, but over the next two hours, I sat still and felt the pain ebbing away.  I was 80% better within two hours and 100% by the next day.  Everyone else in my family has been to this acupuncturist for various ailments, so I was kind of happy to have a reason to go.  I would definitely do it again.  It doesn't hurt.  My now-17 yo daughter is notoriously (in our family) not one to suffer in silence, yet even she falls asleep with the needles in her.

• Like 1

My grandmother, who was not woo woo at all, tried acupuncture for chronic lower back pain.  It took three sessions but then she was cured.

I've had it for mild vertigo and for persistent knee pain.  It cured the vertigo in one session, and it freed up the knee pain to gradually recover in one session.  It's quite remarkable when it works.  OTOH, I tried it for plantar fascitis, and it didn't help at all.  However, I don't think that was as good a practitioner.  I'd tried it again with a good one if I could just find the time.

Yes, acupuncture was very helpful for my lower back pain. Didn't make a herniated disc go away, though! 

Also very helpful for stress, cough/cold, and female hormone-related issues. 

My acupuncturist is not anti-western medicine, but rather wants to work with whatever conventional treatment the person is pursuing. 

Dd plays soccer and injured her back through overuse. Her hips were very tight and weak causing other muscles to work too hard.  We went to a chiropractor and he said her muscles were completely locked up, beyond the point of stretching or physical therapy.  She did dry needling weekly for several months.  The chiropractor gave her stretches and hip and core exercises to do on her own.  She gradually reduced the frequency of needling, and is now going once a month.  She still does the stretching and exercises almost every day.

When she started needling she couldn't walk or sleep without pain.  She's been pain free for a couple of weeks now, but the chiropractor warned her to keep up with the stretching and exercises or it could return.

I was skeptical at first, but it has made a huge difference.