Menu

What is your elementary aged kids sleep schedule?

lovinmyboys

The first 8 years I was a parent, my kids went to bed between 7 and 8 and couldn’t come out of their rooms until 6:30. It was awesome! Now, they are 6-11 and they get to bed around 10 and are up by 7:30. I really miss the evening hours to get things done. When I look at recommended sleep amounts, 9 hours seems about right for their ages.

If your kids only sleep 9 hours, how do you get enough downtime/sleep/productive time? Or do your kids sleep more? I feel like I became markedly less productive over the last 3 years and I think it is because my “night†is two hours shorter than it used to be.

Edited by lovinmyboys

My kids are older. DD16 has to stay up later, due to ballet and homework demands. But the 13 and 14 year olds go to bed around 9 and get up around 6:30. They don't stay up until 10, even in the summers, except for the oldest.

If you don't want them to stay up until 10, try having them go to bed earlier. They may still sleep until the same time in the morning.

• Like 1

My oldest is just about to turn 9.  He goes to bed at 7:30, is asleep around 8, wakes up between 5:30 and 6, but reads in his room until 6:30.

My 6.5 year old goes to bed at 7, falls asleep very quickly, wakes around 6, and reads in his room until breakfast is served at 7.

I don't know how I will function when they start staying up later.  Their mental health challenges make them very needy and supervision-intensive, so every minute they are awake I need to be "on".

Wendy

Mine have different bedtimes dependjng on their age. 1 year old sleeps roughly 7:30 to 6:30 or 7. 5 yo is 8ish to 6:30 or 7. 7 and 9 yo's, 8:45ish to about 6:30 (it takes them a while to fall asleep so they're probably getting 9 hrs most nights). 12 yo is 9:15ish to whenever I wake her up, ideally 7. I try for 30 mins of down time during quiet time after lunch, which doesn't happen regularly. Productive time...that mostly happens on weekends when my parents come visit, and for a couple hours one afternoon a week when they go to a sitter. I have trouble making myself go to bed early enough because it's so nice having down time after they're finally all in bed.

My 8yo wakes up before 6:00am every day and is a basketcase in the evenings, so he has a pretty strict bedtime of 8:30pm (along with Ds3). Ds10 likes to stay up later, usually until 10:00 or 10:30pm, and wakes up between 7:30 and 8:00am. He's very low-maintenance, so we do get downtime as soon as the two youngest are in bed. 

Dd11 goes to bed at 9pm and due to sleep meds, is asleep in 15min or so. She takes meds at 830 so she doesnt usually linger past 9. If those meds dont work, she gets another dose at 930. She is up at 700-715am and I have to wake her 90% of the time.

Without meds she wakes up multiple times per night and sleeps during school.

Dd goes to bed about 9:30 but doesn't go to sleep until around midnight. She usually only gets up once to go to the bathroom. She wakes between 7 and 10.

If I have energy left, I try to get things done after 10pm. But, to be honest, it is really hard to be productuve at that point. I usually stay behind on everything. I just have to sneak in twenty minutes or work here or there when I can.

Edited by MaeFlowers

Since about age 10, my kids are usually up late because of homework loads.  Their theoretical bedtime has been 9:30 since they were about 6, but it is a rare day when they are actually in bed by then.  Usually it's 10 or 10:30 and sometimes as late as midnight.  They wake around 7am to get ready for school.

I am a night person, so if my kids haven't wiped me out mentally, I will usually be up for a couple/few hours after they go to bed.  I wake up when they wake up.  Occasionally I sneak a nap after they go to school.  (I work at home, so nobody cares as long as the work gets done.)

bedtime was 8pm, up around 7:30.   though it would happen, lights out/asleep by 9, and up by 8.

he's now 13 - lights out by 9pm (I kick him off the computer at 7:30pm as he is more able to actually go to sleep), and he's up after 7:30.

I have a 13yo who can get by with 8 or 9, but does better with 10. I tuck in his 11yo brother first, who needs 10 or 11 hours. DS13 will stay up reading until all hours if not caught; DS11 is asleep within minutes. For a 7 am wake up, we start bedtime at 8, with a goal of reading out loud from 8:30 to 9:00 at the latest.

My kids went to bed early when they were very young and I worked full time and they had to get up to get to pre-school. 

Once we moved and I stopped working, it was a free for all and we ALL went to bed much later.  

I still remember sitting in a scout meeting, my 10 and 8 year old in cub scouts, and my 4 year old in the pre-school program.  A woman came up to me and asked me if I would take her son home because her EIGHT year old (girl) had an early bedtime and scouts went way too late.  And I was sitting there with my FOUR year old and waiting for my 8 year old to finish.  

I took her son one time and that was it.  She lived too far out of my way and so she said to just meet her at the CVS but it took her 20 min. to get there and it was after 10pm.  I told her no more.

I don't care when my kids fall asleep, but they'll be in their quarters by 8pm in elementary and 9pm in high school.  We've called the last of the evening for ourselves, for quiet time for parents.  I'm not going to share that with my kids.  DS19 still mostly follows the same pattern when he comes home.  He leaves the living room and goes to do his thing by 9.  He knows the days get hectic and the rule was put in place to keep happy parents, lol, so it's a small sacrifice. 

• Like 2

I don't care when my kids fall asleep, but they'll be in their quarters by 8pm in elementary and 9pm in high school. We've called the last of the evening for ourselves, for quiet time for parents. I'm not going to share that with my kids. DS19 still mostly follows the same pattern when he comes home. He leaves the living room and goes to do his thing by 9. He knows the days get hectic and the rule was put in place to keep happy parents, lol, so it's a small sacrifice.

I might add that it’s totally okay for parents to do this and frame it that way to their kids. Nobody ever died from reading quietly in their room for 45 minutes before bed. It will help them wind down too. (No screens) but yes your kids will probably complain and it’s fine for you to set it up that way for your own needs. Parents have needs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They go to bed between 8 and 9.  Ds8 usually wakes up by 7, dd10 by 8.

Actually, dd13 is in bed around the same time most nights and wakes up at 6:65 - 7:30 depending on whether she wants a shower.  She thinks she should be up later as most of her friends aren't in bed until 10, but since she still has a hard time getting up before school, I am not so inclined to really extend it much.

My kids are 10 and 12, turning 11 and 13 in the summer. They both sleep lots lately, but it can be hard to get them into bed on time. Ds has been a morning person since birth, but pre-teen hormone/growth phase is changing his pattern

We aim for 9pm til 7am right now, but we have regular activties 3 evenings and one early morning each week. They get t

I am trying to get Dh to cooperate in our sleep routine, but he often visits with the kids after they are in bed, keeping them up 30 minutes or so later than necessary. 

• 2 weeks later...

kids ages 2-12

Bedtime is anytime btwn 7:45-9pm depending on what activities we have going that night.  A rare time is past 9pm when we have dance shows or are traveling. 

I am not sure what time they wake up.  They play or do school work in the morning until I wake up.   Sometimes they are up at 6:30 and sometimes some are still in bed after 8am. 

But I like my down time at night so they need to go to bed. 

DS is up at 6 AM on weekdays to get ready for school, and usually within an hour of that on weekends. He goes to bed between 8 and 9, a little later on weekends than weekdays. Sometimes he'll be up as late as 10 if we're out doing something, and will sleep a little later the next day.

My answer changed over the course of parenting kids with different ages.

All my kids went to bed by &7:30 or 8 until the oldest was 11.  He could read until 8:30 or 9 (I don't remember) in his room.

Now, my 8 year old listens to books on tape in her room from 8:00-8:30 and then comes and reads in my bed with me from 8:30-9 and then goes to bed.  The other's aren't elementary age now, so I'll leave their schedule off.

It is harder to get downtime now in the evening, for sure.  One thing I do if I realize I"m frazzled is tell everyone that I am going to read now and want to be left alone.  But it's harder with questions about college applications and making time for teens who might want to talk.

I also try to pace my days so I get quiet time then.

But, I am not a great help, bc I miss my long evenings too and am trying to see this time as a season.  At least I don't have anyone waking me up all night or at 5 in the morning!

It's gotten pretty late here but it works for us.  They go to their rooms at 9:30 they sleep when they want and wake up more or less when they want between 7& 9.  I am a night person so I get plenty of downtime and sleep from about 12 to about 8.  They don't bother me if they get up first and they make their own breakfast.  If you want more evening time I would just set a room time where they can do quiet activities in there if they bug you it becomes bed time.