Menu

Teaching the Classics

Roseto27

I'm considering purchasing Teaching the Classics DVDs and workbook, but want to hear btdt advice first. If you've used it, please give your honest feedback. What did you love about it? What do you feel could have been done better?

Is it geared more for the classroom? The description in the iew catalog makes me wonder if it is a good fit for a homeschool classroom or if there are better resources for literary analysis and/or Socratic dicusssion geared toward homeschoolers.

I own this and have watched it a couple of times, the second time last year over a couple of weeks with my 8th grader.  I don't think this is geared toward the classroom, unless you prefer to have several students for a literature discussion.  It is really meant to teach you, the teacher, to do literature analysis with your students, so the DVDs are walking you through the method.  It is similar to the IEW TWSS DVDs in that its training you to teach.   I don't know of any other material that approaches literary analysis for homeschoolers in the same way.  

What I like most is that I enjoy Adam Andrews as a presenter, and the engaging way he teaches the method.  I wish the training was longer, with more analysis done on video that I could reproduce with my students.  

Edited by monalisa
  • Like 3

The DVDs are the teacher prep which you probably don't need if you were an English major or had a great lit class in college. It's still a good review. The manual with the questions is the real heart. I base all my lit discussions with my middle schoolers using the list and supplement my high schoolers program with them. They are excellent and flexible.

It is not a course that tells you exactly how to discuss each book. It's more like a program that shows you what can be covered and how to do it. It's teacher training but in a pretty easy to use style. If you read the book, you can just pick questions you want to discuss and then discuss.

• Like 3

I just went to GHC last weekend and talked to Ian Andrews about the difference between first and second. He said if you own the first, you do NOT need to upgrade to the second. He said the second is of course more updated in look and the only real content difference would be Andrew addressing more of the issues/questions parents had as they’ve used the program since first edition was released, but he pretty much discouraged me upgrading and said it was unnecessary. I found that refreshingly honest, although they’d have had an easy sale because I had money burning a hole in my pocket. :)

Same here. Same discussion with Ian. The only thing I'd add is that they mentioned that since Adam is clearly older now and wiser, with more experience, that will show up a bit in the new version. They still said I didn't need the updated one. Nevertheless, I bought it. I'm going to watch it over the summer so can't say what the differences might be. But I, also, respected that they weren't trying to get me to purchase something I didn't really need.

• Like 1

I sold my old version and bought the new because when I asked they said it contained new content. Based on my notes from last time, there are a few new things, but nothing super significant. I am only into about disc 3 though (out of 6? 8?)  

Honestly I would use the old version if you can get it cheaper. I kind of wish I hadn't sold mine. 

• Like 2