Menu

Ideas for extended family dinners

swimmermom3

With the death of my sister, I am trying to make sure we have an extended family dinner at least once if not a couple of times a month.

The numbers can really vary - four of us if it's only my BIL, ten if my nieces and nephew bring boyfriends/friends.

This Tuesday, I'd like to do enchiladas and maybe a taco bar. I want to have enough leftovers to send home with everyone. My nephew is 19 and got his first apartment just a few weeks before his mom was hospitalized. I am not really brilliant at stuff like this and would appreciate other menu ideas or recipes that you all would like to share.

Thanks so much.

Baked pasta — so easy to make a large portion so there are leftovers.

Turkey dinner doesn’t just have to be for Thanksgiving!

Ham, baked Mac and cheese, green beans

If you have an Aldi, I highly recommend their Indian style simmer sauces— add chicken, rice, frozen green beans. . . Not hard to make a lot.

Nachos/tacos are always a hit, and it’s easy to suggest that everyone bring a topping or two.

We love the Tuscan chicken stew from South Your Mouth, plus her skillet cornbread. You could add a salad and an additional vegetable.

In the right family, a breakfast for dinner night with waffles or pancakes, sausage or bacon, and an egg quiche could go over very well because it’s casual comfort food.

I think you are starting a lovely custom. A friend of mine said, after her mother died, that one thing she remembered most fondly was family meals, especially at holidays. Her mother celebrated every possible holiday. My friend said she thought at the time that the decorations were corny, but now she does exactly the same thing herself, lol, and loves it.

So, in that spirit, I'd suggest taking some time to decorate your table, however simply. I've been taking a bit of extra trouble (just a few minutes really) to make our table pretty, because I realize my children are growing up fast and I want them to have nice memories.

• Like 3

Jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, all good for a crowd. 

Jambalaya you can serve with green salad or coleslaw. 

Gumbo needs potato salad and bread. 

Red beans and rice is usually on its own, but you can add green salad and bread. 

Why, yes, I do live in bayou country, lol. 

• Like 1

Jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, all good for a crowd. 

Jambalaya you can serve with green salad or coleslaw. 

Gumbo needs potato salad and bread. 

Red beans and rice is usually on its own, but you can add green salad and bread. 

Why, yes, I do live in bayou country, lol. 

Well, now, I am hungry.  I think I need to add jambalaya and gumbo to my cooking repertoire.