Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW12 and BW13: March Equinox

Robin M

Some bookish posts ~

Here's a horrible question that I can not begin to answer: 

If You Could Only Read One Author for the Rest of Your Life, Who Would it Be? by Deepali Agarwal

Georgette Heyer. But even so I would be sad about it.

What an awful question! JRR Tolkien.

Also thanks to aggieamy (I think!) I picked up Editor-Proof Your Writing. This looks like a book I'm going to enjoy using this spring and summer with my completed novel that I'm querying and later with the sequel that is still in first draft stage right now.

You're welcome. It is a great book for editing!

• Like 9

Kareni, that is a horrible question. I will bite and answer. The very first name that popped in my head without even thinking was Jane Austen. 

I agree it's a horrible question. I like your answer though and while there are a few other authors that come to mind (Steinbeck, Cather) I think I'd have to go with Jane Austen too.

• Like 10

if-you-could-only-read-one-author-for-the-rest-of-your-life

Regards,

Kareni

Oh my! I just can’t imagine being stuck with one, but if so, it would have to be one who writes prolifically. Only one I can think of is Nora Roberts. Lots of variety with her books. Close second would be Dean Koontz or James Rollins Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

I've got my second book on my abandoned list this yeah. Sigh. I had high hopes for it. On to the next in the stack.

ETA:  :hurray: I already like the next one. I suspect I'll devour it in a day. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 11

Some bookish posts ~

If You Could Only Read One Author for the Rest of Your Life, Who Would it Be? by Deepali Agarwal

What a hard question! At first I thought Agatha Christie, more because her list is long than for a great love. But.....I'm on my second or third time through currently and suspect the reason I am loving them is good narration because I know who did it. I can't imagine being on my tenth read in quick succession! Gaaaaah!

I have been thinking about this all night (I did sleep) and have decided it can't be something from the mystery genre. Ditto romance. Maybe more comedy aka Jeeves......if I had to pick now I think I would go with Tolkien because in terms of pages probably equal to Christie but with the possibility of seeing something new each time I read a section.

• Like 11

One author to read - that is a tough one.  I might pick George Orwell.  I've always enjoyed how precise he is with his use of language.  Jane Austen is also tempting.  

I finished two children's books last week:

Pax by Sara Pennypacker: a beautifully written story about a 12 year old boy and his pet fox. Due to separation, Pax has to learn how to survive in the wild. The inner world of the animals was my favorite part of the book. Chapters alternate boy-fox POV. It is a bit tricky to know whether or not to recommend it, though. It is a melancholy book and set against a backdrop of war. But I loved it :)

I feel like you are describing one of the books I finished reading to the kids this week.  There's a fox, there's a backdrop of war, the girl turns into the fox so we get a sort of alternating girl/fox POV even though it's the same character, it's melancholy.  I'm not sure I loved it though.

So, books finished in the last week include The Old Country by Mordicai Gerstein, the afore-mentioned melancholy fox/war/fairy tale book.  It was not to my taste and seemed too slight, even though it was longer than a traditional fairy tale might be.  Although I'm not a fan of fairy tales in general, so perhaps that's why it left me cold. This was from The Shelf and will be leaving the house.

Also finished A Cat Abroad by Peter Gethers - enjoyed this more than his first book about his cat, but there's still a rather cloying preciousness and obnoxious rich person name-dropping aspect (from a person who doesn't think he is rich) to it.  The cat is very cute and sweet though.  Also from The Shelf, also won't be keeping it.

I also made it to the end of Ordinary Magic by Meeka Walsh, another one that will be exiting the house.  It was nothing special in the memoir/journal genre.  

I feel like I'm getting too excited when I finish  a book and feel that it's not good enough to keep it in the house.  Shouldn't I be excited about finding books that are good enough to keep?  

Randomly picked up a few graphic novels from the adult section of the library for the kids and one of them was Going Into Town by Roz Chast - it is a sweet little book that began as a little guide to Manhattan for the author's daughter when said daughter moved there for college.  Chast had grown up in Brooklyn and then lived in Manhattan and wanted to impart her love for the island to her daughter in the form of this book.  I enjoyed it and so did the kids.

Started reading Swedish Death Cleaning and it is helping me want to get rid of even more things and making me think I really need to have a conversation with my parents (seriously, do they need to have 40 empty margarine containers? what about the 1000s of books they are keeping for my brother who moved halfway across the country 20 years ago and is never coming back?   never mind the 1000s more books that they own - and the puzzles, oh the puzzles, and the fact that they both have supplies for hobbies they don't do anymore).

And for Brit Tripping I picked up England's Green and Pleasant Land by J.W. Robertson Scott from one of my bookshelves.  So far the first few little essays, written in the 1920s seem to be decrying the state of both the village cottagers and the fox hunting gentry, making England into a not very pleasant land.  

• Like 10

I've been enjoying reading the answers to this admittedly horrible question. 

After thinking on it, I have an answer.

My author has a large backlist of books and is still writing.  My author has written in many genres ~ poetry, fiction, non-fiction, and biography to name a few.  Admittedly, my author has written a lot of works of questionable literary value, but I suspect that there are enough gems there to keep me going for quite some time.  I give you

Anonymous

who has written The Epic of Gilgamesh and  Beowulf

and more recently Primary Colors: A Novel of Politics and Alcoholics Anonymous

S/he has thousands of entries on Amazon.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 14

I've been enjoying reading the answers to this admittedly horrible question. 

After thinking on it, I have an answer.

My author has a large backlist of books and is still writing.  My author has written in many genres ~ poetry, fiction, non-fiction, and biography to name a few.  Admittedly, my author has written a lot of works of questionable literary value, but I suspect that there are enough gems there to keep me going for quite some time.  I give you

Anonymous

who has written The Epic of Gilgamesh and  Beowulf

and more recently Primary Colors: A Novel of Politics and Alcoholics Anonymous

S/he has thousands of entries on Amazon.

Regards,

Kareni

Clever girl!

• Like 9

Finished: Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie - I really need to pay better attention while I'm reading to location. They were definitely in London for part of the time and they mentioned taking the train to ... ? I think part of the problem is I'm listening to these so I get lost in the story and forget to pay attention. The other problem is when they mention a name of a place it's usually the house name not the town. A good mystery. I'd recommend it!

Here's my current Brit Trip list. As it stands right now I'm on the Mystery Bus but in multiple locations because I just started another Christie that's set in Essex and I didn't realize it.

London (Scotland Yard) – Now You See Me

Cambridgeshire – Dead Scared

Huntingdonshire – The Children of Green Knowe

Bedfordshire – Cambridge Blue

Northamptonshire and Rutland – The Red House Mystery (Wild Card)

Nottinghamshire – Miss Silver Comes to Stay

East and West Riding of Yorkshire – Dying in the Wool

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 7

I don't have an answer to that horrible, one author only, question.     

Interesting to see the answers given, especially Kareni's clever one   :thumbup:

Updating on books I've added to my being read pile.  This sounds fickle but it's true; sometimes I'm just not in the frame of mind for anything I'm currently reading, and then one of the books mentioned by another BaW poster becomes available at the library.....   :tongue_smilie:

Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death: Bk1 ~ James Runcie (Cambridgeshire) 

And being a devout Heyer fan, it's never any hardship to relisten to The Talisman Ring  (Sussex) I think Sarah Thane must be one of my most liked Heyer 'heroines'

ETA: Georgette Heyer’s Regency World ~ Jennifer Kloester N/F (wild card)

I've got to the place where I'm not really aiming to have read for each, or most, of the counties but am just selecting out books to read for enjoyment.  

I think I prefer the just- for- fun things on the mystery bus more than those listed for the rebel's bus.    What is not to like about Belgian chocolates, knitting, and gourmet food  :drool5:   I guess there is a price to pay for being a rebel  :laugh:

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 7

Oh my! Looks like we'll be spending the majority of week 13 offline. So I'm sure Amy and Mum won't mind me posting the next leg of the brit trip. Double your pleasure, double your fun! Jump on the bus to York.

"We end the first leg of our trip in historic wonderful York! Famous for its walls, Roman history, Viking history, and War of the Roses."

Rabbit trails: A Walk Through York Other York Attractions Sculptures at Harrogate

I am on facebook so if you want to chat that's where you can find me next week. I'll still put up the 52 books weekly post on The 52 books blog Sunday as usual and you can start a conversation in the comments as well. Text me on my cell if you're in the mood to chat. I'll be spending the off time doing taxes. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 12

Oh my! Looks like we'll be spending the majority of week 13 offline. So I'm sure Amy and Mum won't mind me posting the next leg of the brit trip. Double your pleasure, double your fun! Jump on the bus to York.

"We end the first leg of our trip in historic wonderful York! Famous for its walls, Roman history, Viking history, and War of the Roses."

Rabbit trails:

Other York Attractions Sculptures at Harrogate

I am on facebook so if you want to chat that's where you can find me next week. I'll still put up the 52 books weekly post on The 52 books blog Sunday as usual and you can start a conversation in the comments as well. Text me on my cell if you're in the mood to chat. I'll be spending the off time doing taxes. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you!

Since I won't be able to highlight these books on Sunday for Brit Trippers and others I will now! First there are a couple of good read alongs for those with children or who enjoy YA.

The Eagle of the Ninth https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/149405.The_Eagle_of_the_Ninth I plan to read this one....need to find my copy. We never got around to it but an adult male friend who is a serious bibliophile considers it to be one of his favorites for York because he has heard the ghosts. .https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/treasurers-house-york/features/head-to-the-basement-at-treasurers-house http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/features/8935109.True_story_of____lost____Roman_legion/

One of my favorite read alouds was A Murder for Her Majesty https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/606250.A_Murder_for_Her_Majesty?ac=1&from_search=true which is the story of a young orphan with royal connections who joins the York Minster Choir School to hide from her pursuer. The key word hered is HER. Loved it. We read it at the same time as our move and had a great time walking her routes around York.

I'm off to figure out my adult picks! ;)

• Like 8

Some currently free books for Kindle readers ~ 

a number of books by L.M. Montgomery can be found here

mystery: Spirits, Stilettos, and a Silver Bustier (Pyper Rayne Book 1)  by Deanna Chase

LGBT fantasy romance:  The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania Book 1)  by TJ Klune

romance:  Stranded with the SEAL (HERO Force Book 1)  by Amy Gamet

ETA:  recommended by the authors writing as Ilona Andrews ~  The Black Parade by Kyoko M

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Yesterday I finished listening to The Serpent's Tale by Arianna Franklin https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2436462.The_Serpent_s_Tale. These are so good! The main character is a 12th century female forensic doctor from Salerno on loan to King Henry. In this book she is asked to solve the murder of the King's mistress near Oxford. Queen Elenore is busy raising an army to fight her husband throughout this book also. I definitely hopped of the bus. I am waiting for the next!

I am also reading Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey and doubt that it will be finished before we go offline. It was rated in the top 100 mystery books at one time so probably deserves a mention and based on a historical case from the 1880's. No idea where it is set, a village not too far from London is all i have figured out. In the book a young woman accuses the lawyer's clients of having kidnapped her and holding her hostage. Her proof is a series of common things that most would have in their homes and a positive ID of the women who recently inherited a manor house when she was introduced to them. No line ups. ;) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/243401.The_Franchise_Affair

My planned York reading.....

Sovereign by CJ Sansom https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/138684.Sovereign?ac=1&from_search=true

Hangman's Blind by Cassandra Clark https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4320305-hangman-blind?ac=1&from_search=true

The Eagle of the Ninth by Sutcliff

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

Books finished this week:

Imager-Modesitt (very good)

Enchantment-Orson Scott Card (like all Card, really good at the start, and not as good at the end but still good)

Unfinished

Breath of Earth-Beth Cato (couldn't get into it, didn't connect with the main character or the world)

• Like 8

Due to the shutdown, I am combining book week 12 and 13 and will start a new thread with the beginning of week 14 on April 1st. When forum is up and running again Thursday, the 29th (hopefully) just continue to post on this thread until March 31st. 

Lots of rain the past three weeks. Looking forward to sunny weather next week. 

I'm immersed in Kit Colbana's world in J.C. Daniels 4th book in the series with Edged Blade.  

Links from internet wanderings:

The Irish Times is the new home of the Hennessy New Irish Writers award.  Winners poems and short stories published on the site. 

The 2018 Whiting Award 

Man Booker International Longlist announced

20 Must see literary destinations around the world

Modern Mrs. Darcy's 9 much-anticipated new works from authors working outside their typical genres

• Like 8

I feel like you are describing one of the books I finished reading to the kids this week.  There's a fox, there's a backdrop of war, the girl turns into the fox so we get a sort of alternating girl/fox POV even though it's the same character, it's melancholy.  I'm not sure I loved it though.

Would this by any chance be "The Taken" by Inbali Iserles?  I was looking at that possibly for DD the younger ( who loves the Warrior series.)

• Like 7

Some recent reads here ~

-- I quite enjoyed A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers)  by Becky Chambers which is the second in a series and plan to continue reading more by this author.  I found this book to be very different than the first book; it had a far less complex storyline.  I think it could stand alone. 

"Nominated for the 2017 Hugo Award for Best Novel

Shortlisted for the 2017 Arthur C. Clarke Award

Winner of the Prix Julia-Verlanger

Lovelace was once merely a ship’s artificial intelligence. When she wakes up in a new body, following a total system shut-down and reboot, she has no memory of what came before. As Lovelace learns to negotiate the universe and discover who she is, she makes friends with Pepper, an excitable engineer, who’s determined to help her learn and grow.

Together, Pepper and Lovey will discover that no matter how vast space is, two people can fill it together."

-- I read an older Mary Balogh story "The Forbidden Daffodils"  in a collection of historical romances entitled Blossoms; it was a pleasant read.

-- I also read and enjoyed the contemporary male/male romance Loud and Clear by Aidan Wayne.  This could be described as a sweet romance.

"Jaxon is getting by fine, severe dyslexia or not. Being a cab driver means he doesn’t need to read much, and the job has its perks. The pay isn’t bad, the people can be interesting, and having memorized the city streets keeps him from feeling too stupid.

When he picks up Caleb, a quiet fare in a nice suit, Jaxon doesn't think anything of it. Then he ends up driving Caleb home the next week too, and the next, and the next. Eventually Caleb tries to communicate—by writing things down. Turns out that Caleb has such a bad stutter he spends most of his time mute.

If only Jaxon had an easier time reading what Caleb had to say. But he’s interested in trying, and Caleb seems interested back. They discover that, with a little bit of effort, it isn’t so hard to make themselves understood. Especially when what’s growing between them is definitely worth talking about."

-- and I also read the male/male contemporary story Standby by Kim Fielding.  I like this author's works; however, this one fell short of my favorites.  (Adult content)

"Tom’s day has not gone well. He bombed the job interview in San Francisco and missed his flight connection back to Iowa. Now he’s stuck at the Minneapolis airport, on standby for an early morning plane home. But things begin to look up when a handsome man named Rafael strikes up a conversation. Rafael says he used to fly but, having made mistakes, was grounded. Now he has to be content with watching jets take off. What at first seems to be a short tryst in the wee hours of the morning may turn out to be much more. The universe contains surprises, and perhaps being stuck at the airport could have some long-term benefits."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

MINI GOAL while the forum is down. I'm going to try to finish R-O-S-E from our February challenges. We'll see if I can manage it or not. 

It's times like this when I turn to the philosophers of our age for words that really express my feelings for what's coming:

"See you on the other side, Ray." "Nice working with you, Dr. Venkman."

• Like 10

Doing a quick check-in before the Great Forum Shutdown commences...

For Robin's air challenge, I am reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (bird on the cover) and How the Heather Looks (clouds on the cover). The latter is about an American family's road trip in Britain to visit sites associated with great children's literature. So far this has been a Brit Trip bonanza! In the first two chapters they visit Cheshire, Shropshire, Wales (Monmouthshire), Gloucestershire, Somerset, and Cornwall. I think the counties-visited pace will slow down in subsequent chapters, as they were traveling from the place that their ship arrived (Liverpool) to a planned camping excursion in Cornwall.

Next up in my library pile is A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander, and Murder at Honeychurch Hall by Hannah Dennison.

Kareni - thanks for posting the link to the free L. M. Montgomery books yesterday. I need to fill up DD's Kindle for a long trip next month, and those are a fantastic and economical addition. I also snagged a couple for myself that I hadn't yet read.  :thumbup:

• Like 10

Y'all are inspiring me to set myself a mini-challenge for the next few days too.  I've been slogging through War and Peace since Jan 1.  My goal is a chapter a day, though I have sometimes read a few more, so I am a bit ahead. My husband suggested that maybe a cure for the slogginess would be to read bigger chunks at a time - I'd be more engaged. So, I'm going to focus on that for my leisure reading the next few days.  

On the other hand, I'm so enjoying Brit-tripping... 

mumto2, I'm going to be stalking your Goodreads list!

I did finish a non-Brit-trip book yesterday, Force of Nature by Jane Harper.  It's a thriller set in the Australian bush.  I'd read her first book, The Dry, and enjoyed it quite a bit (thought it didn't rate 4 stars because it's an unlikely re-read). This was a little less compelling because of a rather hard-to-believe setup.  But when I could push that out of my mind, I enjoyed the suspense.  I had no idea whodunnit till the very end.  

Have a good WTM break!  

• Like 8

Would this by any chance be "The Taken" by Inbali Iserles?  I was looking at that possibly for DD the younger ( who loves the Warrior series.)

No, it was The Old Country by Mordicai Gerstein.  Can't help you with The Taken and any thoughts about that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Doing a quick check-in before the Great Forum Shutdown commences...

For Robin's air challenge, I am reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (bird on the cover) and How the Heather Looks (clouds on the cover). The latter is about an American family's road trip in Britain to visit sites associated with great children's literature. So far this has been a Brit Trip bonanza! In the first two chapters they visit Cheshire, Shropshire, Wales (Monmouthshire), Gloucestershire, Somerset, and Cornwall. I think the counties-visited pace will slow down in subsequent chapters, as they were traveling from the place that their ship arrived (Liverpool) to a planned camping excursion in Cornwall.

Next up in my library pile is A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander, and Murder at Honeychurch Hall by Hannah Dennison.

Kareni - thanks for posting the link to the free L. M. Montgomery books yesterday. I need to fill up DD's Kindle for a long trip next month, and those are a fantastic and economical addition. I also snagged a couple for myself that I hadn't yet read. :thumbup:

How the Heather Looks sounds wonderful and not just from a Brit Tripping sense. Please review it after we return because it might be a perfect gift for my BF. I put a purchase request in for overdrive but would be surprised if they buy this one!

I went and found a book for Robin's Air challenge also. I checked out Castles in the Air https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/875573.Castles_In_The_Air?from_search=true which I think appeared on some list that I liked at. Reviews are mixed but I plan to read some fluffy historical this weekend!

I finished Tey's The Franchise Affair. It was a bit different and I really disliked a couple of her views on how someone can look like a criminal..... Especially people with very blue eyes. That being said the conclusion was satisfying. Not sure I will ever put it on my top 100 list but glad I read it!

I'm not sure when the board goes offline tonight so if I don't post again I hope everyone has a productive board break.

I suspect I will be stalking the Goodreads posts by the time we are back online! Which reminds me if anyone needs my Goodreads I think this will get you to the Brit trip pages. If anyone want to be Goodreads friends that would be wonderful!https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51042385-mumtotwo?shelf=2018-brit-trip-ideas

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

How the Heather Looks (clouds on the cover).... is about an American family's road trip in Britain to visit sites associated with great children's literature. So far this has been a Brit Trip bonanza!

I used to read any and all books I could find that dealt with children's books.  I read and enjoyed that one years ago.

Kareni - thanks for posting the link to the free L. M. Montgomery books yesterday. I need to fill up DD's Kindle for a long trip next month, and those are a fantastic and economical addition. I also snagged a couple for myself that I hadn't yet read.  :thumbup:

Yay!  I'm glad to have been of help.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I used to read any and all books I could find that dealt with children's books. I read and enjoyed that one years ago.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for the review. I may go ahead and buy it for all of us to share. My bf collects children’s books. I don’t think she has read this one because it never appeared at my house when I was obsessed with Winnie the Pooh which is apparently featured in one of the chapters.

• Like 4

:seeya: Checking in and waving hello before the big shutdown. My mini challenge is to get all our tax stuff organized for the accountant so I can reclaim my sewing table!!

And, yeah, I might read some books, too over the next few days. Catch everyone on the flip side!

PS -- who else was here when the boards switched to this format back in, I think, 2008? Kareni, Lady Florida -- who else?!

• Like 7

I was on the original board (1999?) but then I did not end up homeschooling at that time and drifted away at some point until...idk, 2010 or so. I really wish that I never would have drifted away and could claim to be an original board member!

Anyway...

I resolve to finish The Arabian Nights while our board is down. I have been pecking away at it since 2016 and have a mere 50 pages left to go.

I will also be picking up The Girl In The Tower by Katherine Arden from the library and continuing with Middlemarch.

See you next week!  :seeya:

• Like 6

Before we go radio silent, I have time to mention a book that I finished last night ~

I enjoyed Shadow's Edge: Psychic Detective Mysteries by S.C. Wynne, a mystery romance featuring two men one of whom is (surprise!) a psychic.  There were a few elements that strained credulity, but overall it was a fun story (if you look past the fact that a number of young men were getting killed).  (Adult content)

"Liam Baker can see things. Dead people like to visit him and tell them how they were wronged. Some might call it a gift, other’s a curse. But either way this ability makes him useful to Los Angeles homicide detective Kimball Thompson.

Some madman is slitting the throats of young male prostitutes and then dumping their bodies in the desert with vague clues of pink feathers and the number five. Usually Liam can talk to the spirits of the dead. But someone is blocking him. Someone is taunting him.

The case is rapidly deteriorating into a violent, psychic pissing contest and Liam can’t see far enough ahead to figure out who wins or who dies."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Some bookish posts ~

10 Awesome Historical Fantasy Novels By Women  by Margaret Kingsbury

Five Books About Heroic Hackers  by E.C. Myers

A Firefighter’s Guide to Fighting Dragons  by Sean Grigsby

For a limited time, you can get a free ebook of Too Like the Lightning! Offer ends (TODAY!) March 23, 2018 at 11:59pm EST.

and here's an appreciation of the book:

Ada Palmer’s Too Like the Lightning Is A Future Worth Having  by Jo Walton

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

REMINDER! IMPORTANT REMINDER!

The forums go down at midnight tonight for a major upgrade!

We're anticipating going live some time on March 28th, but that could possibly, maybe, worst case scenario, be delayed...we will keep you posted  on our other social media channels--Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram--for updates. Look out for, and use, the official hashtag: #GreatWTMBlackout.[/size]

If you experience any trouble logging on after the upgrade, please contact support immediately through https://support.welltrainedmind.com/hc/en-us/categories/115002017068-Forums.

That's it! Be prepared!! Care for each during the dark times!!!

Here's the latest update I found. Midnight EST.....

• Like 4

PS -- who else was here when the boards switched to this format back in, I think, 2008? Kareni, Lady Florida -- who else?!

Yes! I remember that.

Just popping in to give an update before The Blackout.

I have several books listed on Goodreads but I've really only been reading two - Detective Inspector Huss* and a reread of Middlemarch. I'm also listening to Dante's Divine Comedy.

*I like this book but sometimes the translation makes the writing sound a bit stilted. Or maybe it's stilted in the original Swedish. I suppose I'll never know. :) Anyway, I haven't checked my library but if they have more in this series I'm sure I'll continue. I'm about halfway through this first one and it really drew me in. It's why I haven't been reading much of anything else.

• Like 6

Just want to let know dd survived her french exam, is totally exausted now, and now we are waiting for the results.

We started Easter break early this year (right after the exam) so I hope to find some time to read next week...

Hoping the results of the French exam come quickly and that she passed this time!

And about reads during The Great Blackout of 2018, I just found the most recent Inspector Lynley novel while shopping at Costco. Didn't even know there was a new one out, so finding it was a treat!

• Like 6

I just finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, so I'll be able to tackle my library pile this weekend. The forecast looks dismal, so other than attending DS's first Pinewood Derby I should have plenty of time to read.

Wishing everyone a pleasant and productive Blackout! ;)

• Like 5

Just want to let know dd survived her french exam, is totally exausted now, and now we are waiting for the results.

We started Easter break early this year (right after the exam) so I hope to find some time to read next week...

Yeah, glad she made it through and keeping fingers crossed for great results. Enjoy your break!

• Like 3

Just want to let know dd survived her french exam, is totally exhausted now, and now we are waiting for the results.

I'm sending positive thoughts for good results.  It's probably time for some ice cream or chocolate now.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...