Menu

Speaking of UC admissions a week ago...

Regarding lower ranked CSUs and targeting a specific college with the hopes of that being the best fit...for my kiddo, we really did not have much choice. We needed:

• a highly ranked math department that offered math up to graduate level classes with kiddo going in with so many credits and classes already completed
  • a college that would preferably accept kiddo's CC credits because the kid really wanted to start grad level classes quickly without taking gen eds
  • a four-year experience...very glad kiddo agreed to this (after initially planning to transfer in from community college) -- so helpful to have the extra time to look for quality research experiences. If kiddo had transferred in, opportunities would not have been as plentiful and kiddo would not have had time as an off campus student to investigate everything available
  • somewhere close to home that we could afford due to kiddo's age and not living in dorms
  • somewhere close enough also to kiddo's interest-led pursuits in improv (this is a big stress-relief activity for my kid and one kiddo and I were both were not willing for kiddo to give up) and kiddo's other needs

I think we'd have made the best of the situation if Berkeley had said no...honestly though this was the best choice. We pay less than $8,000 a semester. Kiddo earns about $300+ a month as a grader this semester which covers train fare and on-campus food. It was our best choice for both budget and quality of education.

We could not have:

• afforded OOS options, even if they were affordable...at this stage in our lives I am not sure how much more affordable it can get when we pay $16,000 a year.
  • afforded OOS options due to kiddo's health concerns.
  • sent kiddo to a CSU. It really would not have been a good choice...the kid grades papers for sophomores and juniors who are not in honors sections...it's very frustrating for A to see their quality of work (a huge lesson in patience for this kid for sure). I don't believe the level of engagement with work/profs/research at CSUs, even the better ones, would have been that much higher.

Re suicides and role of parents...I don't fault the parents but I also can't deny that their stress and anxiety plays such a huge role on the kids' stress and anxiety. Within the same phone conversation, friends with kids in private school will decry the whole academic expectations issue and then explain to me that their kids cannot take a break during spring break because grades will suffer. For my own sanity I have to give up processing this or I will lose friends.

Edited by quark
  • Like 6

I have a friend who graduated a couple of years after I did from Cal. He was a Gunn graduate from Palo Alto. This was more than two decades ago. He came to Cal absolutely convinced that he was "dumb" because he ONLY got into Cal. That's what Palo Alto is like. It's hasn't changed at all. The environment is toxic for the mental health and well-being of these kids.  If you live in the Bay Area, you know exactly which high schools I am talking about because these are the schools that these Asian families sacrifice everything to buy a house in that district and attend. These schools often have anywhere from 40% to 90% of the student population as Asian.  

I am not trying to perpetuate any stereotypes, but the reality is that this culture has an outsized influence from the educational baggage that many first generation East Asian/Asian Indian immigrants bring from their countries of origin. The level of pressure in these countries is unreal because unlike the US that offers many paths at any point to enter higher education, these countries have systems that are up or out. If you don't make it through...you will never make it through. In those countries, the stakes are tremendously high because your family's future is tied to yours. When people come here, they can't just turn that off. It is how people talk about it. It's how the family culture is.

Within the Asian cultures, the vast majority of us grow up with the understanding that my accomplishments are a direct reflection on my family. As a child, you grow up with this sense that love is conditional. That only if I achieve this, then my parents will truly love and accept me. The idea that an A- is the Asian "F" is no joke. It's a real thing. You live with always being compared to so-and-so's daughter or son did X, why can't you do X. This is completely real, and it isn't occasional, it's all the time. It  I will be perfectly honest that to this day, my father is still disappointed that I did not make it off the wait list for Harvard because he wanted me to go to an Ivy. Cal was in his view second best to HPY. This is literally decades later, and I know it's the case because I try to guard and shield against that because I know he has his hopes set on my son now. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 7

Within the Asian cultures, the vast majority of us grow up with the understanding that my accomplishments are a direct reflection on my family. As a child, you grow up with this sense that love is conditional. That only if I achieve this, then my parents will truly love and accept me. The idea that an A- is the Asian "F" is no joke. It's a real thing. You live with always being compared to so-and-so's daughter or son did X, why can't you do X. This is completely real, and it isn't occasional, it's all the time. It  I will be perfectly honest that to this day, my father is still disappointed that I did not make it off the wait list for Harvard because he wanted me to go to an Ivy. Cal was in his view second best to HPY. This is literally decades later, and I know it's the case because I try to guard and shield against that because I know he has his hopes set on my son now. 

I'm sorry. :crying: My parents don't even mention me (middle child writer/designer/free spirit) in conversations with others. They talk about my older brother (surgeon) and then skip on to my younger sis (engineer with MBA) not caring that their middle kid is the only one who is not carrying huge debt. It is what it is. I consider my life pretty happy though. And I think my kid knows I love them no matter what. It's kinda ironic that the mom who never asked for a bright A+ kid got one. We went out for dinner (I was genuinely happy) when kid scored a B- in a particularly difficult honors math section last fall. If only some of these families knew how healthy it is to not get an A once in a while. And it's really good to fail. I am so glad for the mistakes we make because we bounce back stronger when we do. It's when you don't fail that I think you drive yourself bonkers with anxiety. This whole need to be perfect all the time, it's bound to implode. I see it all around me in the Bay Area. Not only in the Asian communities but in everyone. I think the unschoolers are the happiest lot.

Edited by quark
  • Like 3

Quark,

I totally hear you. I'm in the same boat with my family because I chose to opt out of my career (CPA/consulting practice) and the system (gasp!) to homeschool.

Yes, I agree that it's everywhere in the Bay Area as well. That's why we won't relocate back even though we can, and our families are there. Our life is happy outside that bubble though I fully realize we are still in one of those bubbles here.

• Like 3

The kid with two patents denied at Caltech and MIT...wow.

I hope that kid bounces pretty high and keeps moving forward.

I read that post and thought that kid didn’t need to be in college but focusing on growing his company. Maybe the schools recognized he was a little beyond the freshman? 😉 ( trying to put a positive spin for him)

• Like 2

Of course the stress of high school and college isn't the only contributing factor to suicide. That doesn't mean it never is and that it's not a real problem, particularly in some areas. 

There was a suicide in my area in January and unfortunately the pressure of being perfect in high school did contribute to it. You can read about it here

• Like 1

But kids beyond the typical freshman need networks and community and guidance too. I can't believe schools *like those* would deny a kid for being too qualified.

That’s true and it’s hard to say anything without knowing details.

The type of technical expertise one needs to design a patent assumes the child has a significant coursework beyond high school in technical fields ir is a genius. Or heavy parental involvement.

Those sorts of kids tend to be accepted into top places, which makes me suspect that there is more to the story that’s on that post.

• Like 1

I will be perfectly honest that to this day, my father is still disappointed that I did not make it off the wait list for Harvard because he wanted me to go to an Ivy. Cal was in his view second best to HPY. This is literally decades later, and I know it's the case because I try to guard and shield against that because I know he has his hopes set on my son now.

My parents don't even mention me (middle child writer/designer/free spirit) in conversations with others. They talk about my older brother (surgeon) and then skip on to my younger sis (engineer with MBA) not caring that their middle kid is the only one who is not carrying huge debt.

My in-laws only remember my husband and our kids when they need someone to brag about :P. Actually I don’t mind that we are usually forgotten, makes my life easier.

The way the housing prices and rents has gone up in the entire SF Bay Area has also been worrying parents. My neighbor sold her 2 bedroom 1,148sqft condo for $1.1 million this month. My area is much cheaper than Palo Alto. Most of my friends bought by 2009 but those that are renting are worrying about annual rent hikes but can’t move until they find another job. Some people are more laid back but some feel trapped. When my oldest was a baby, UCSC was regarded as a safety. Then UCSC wasn’t a surefire safety anymore and people look at UCMerced.

• Like 2

My in-laws only remember my husband and our kids when they need someone to brag about :P. Actually I don’t mind that we are usually forgotten, makes my life easier.

The way the housing prices and rents has gone up in the entire SF Bay Area has also been worrying parents. My neighbor sold her 2 bedroom 1,148sqft condo for $1.1 million this month. My area is much cheaper than Palo Alto. Most of my friends bought by 2009 but those that are renting are worrying about annual rent hikes but can’t move until they find another job. Some people are more laid back but some feel trapped. When my oldest was a baby, UCSC was regarded as a safety. Then UCSC wasn’t a surefire safety anymore and people look at UCMerced.

I read an article in the SF Chron last week about people commuting from Bend, OR because the housing prices in SF are so exorbitant. We're thinking of buying an investment property in Bend, so it popped up on my radar. Just another aside re Bay Area nuttiness.

Quark and CalBear, hugs. That family pressure sounds horrific.

• Like 2

The kid with two patents denied at Caltech and MIT.

That’s true and it’s hard to say anything without knowing details.

The type of technical expertise one needs to design a patent assumes the child has a significant coursework beyond high school in technical fields or is a genius. Or heavy parental involvement.

My husband had a few patents filed while working in the US. His employer does the filing and pays for all the expense since the IP stays with the employer. However the engineers who are filing patents could add the lab technicians as contributors to the patent and the employer doesn’t mind. It’s a nice acknowledgement to all the overtime hours the lab technicians did to run the test loads and get the data. Stress testing silicon wafers aren’t fun work and I would have fallen asleep doing those stress test. The lab technician has an associate degree from Heald College.

If someone has patents to their name that are relevant to the job, they are drilled about their contribution to the patent. The lab technician didn’t have a problem getting hired by my husband’s current employer because extensive stress testing experience is exactly the skill set they were looking for.

• Like 1

There was a suicide in my area in January and unfortunately the pressure of being perfect in high school did contribute to it. You can read about it here.

That’s sad and unfortunately I know people who have a happy go lucky facade that were on suicide watch. It is really hard to tell and people are blindsided. A friend attempted suicide twice and someone who doesn’t know her past history won’t be able to tell that she had ever attempted suicide. I learned the Solitude poem in elementary school and unfortunately it seems true.

“Laugh, and the world laughs with you;

Weep, and you weep alone;

For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,

But has trouble enough of its own.†https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45937/solitude-56d225aad9924

• Like 2

Wow, guys.  Reading this as an outsider has me pretty horrified.  I grew up in America and moved to NZ 21 years ago, so my perception of the university admissions process is a generation old, which makes what you describe even more depressing.  I am SO glad that we missed all this!  DS decided to apply to American universities with only 1 month before the only remaining SAT was offered that admissions cycle. So there was 1 month to prep, and only 1 shot at a good score.  NZ has exam-based university entrance, so all the ECs he had been doing in high school were because he wanted to, because the Universities here don't care one whit about them. I simply can't imagine spending 4 years worrying about whether your ECs were good enough or even if they were the 'right' ones. These kids are creating a life for someone else to judge and the judgement passed is subjective.  No wonder it creates a ton a stress.  :crying:

Ruth in NZ

• Like 5

These kids are creating a life for someone else to judge and the judgement passed is subjective. No wonder it creates a ton a stress. :crying:

My home country is moving to a holistic model for university admission versus purely exam based. It is making parents with elementary school kids start saving to send kids to Australia for university.

Coalition app is relatively new in US and it might actually add to the stress.

“STUDENTS CAN START EARLY, STRESS LESS

Using MyCoalition, students can begin exploring colleges and digitally compiling personal and school-related achievements as early as ninth grade. So by the time senior year rolls around, they are already on track for college success.†http://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org

• Like 1

Question for you guys.  If are in California and applying OOS somewhere, are your students compared to others in CA rather than all the applicants to a school.  It sounds to me that diversity is important to universities, so they often like to get students from many different states.  So if they only want a few from CA and all the the CA applicants are so amazing because they are in this bubble, do CA students actually need higher stats and ECs compared to the pool of applicants in order to get into a specific OOS school? And a related question: I get the impression that applicants are judged based on how well they took advantage of what was on offer in their locality, and since the Bay Area has SO much on offer, don't the students actually have to take advantage of it to look good?  Seems kind of a stink situation.

• Like 1

I count our lucky stars when my husband, after getting a lot of job offers from the Bay Area, finally got one here in Southern California. I already was aware of the academic pressures, then I looked into housing, and I was just kept praying like mad for something else to turn up. Our quality of life would definitely have suffered. How can you guys even live on one salary?

We are in one of the top school districts in our area, but not the top district. My husband is South Asian, so our girls have a lot of friends who also are. I see all of the expectations, the pressure, the mad rat race first hand. I have offered my eighth grader to homeschool her but she isn't interested. She wants to go to school, play in the band, have school friends. She will be going to the lesser of five high schools in our district, which still leaves plenty of room for craziness but not as much as other schools. The kids on the AP/honors track routinely take 9-12 APs versus 12-15-17 at the other schools (some run on the quarter system and some AP classes are two quarters only, so you can end with a lot more credits).

I am advising my daughter to only take the number of APs she can handle without unnecessary stress, in her academic areas of interest. I am emphasizing health, both physical and mental above all, and the fact that what you do in college matters more than where you go to college. Still, the truth is that she will feel the pressure, even is that pressure is not coming from home, because she knows that college admissions will read her transcript in the local context, so if she "only" takes 6 APs, she may be seen as a bit of a slacker or an unmotivated student. My only concern is that she may end up at a college with students who are not much of an intellectual fit for her, but I maybe worrying unnecessarily too!

Edited by Mabelen
  • Like 2

I think it depends on how competitive the OOS school is. 

So for some less competitive schools, it won't matter.  For others it will.

Also schools really vary in how much they care about geographic representation.  For a lot of schools, it won't matter.  For some very top schools, it will matter very much. 

/I think

Edit:  some very top regional schools aren't going to be that popular for California students.  For example, this is years and years ago, but Rice was impossibly difficult to get into when I was in high school.  Supposedly their slots for our state filled up with children of alumni (who I am sure were also top students).  Students who got accepted to *nationally* much more competitive schools, would not get accepted into Rice. 

It was a very, very popular school for our region, with a low admittance rate.  But nationally, it was not as popular. 

So a school on either coast would be easier to be admitted to, because fewer students would apply to a particular school.  While ALL the top students who were going to attend a private college/university, from my high school, would probably apply to Rice. 

So in my grade, students who got accepted to schools like Stanford and Princeton, did not get accepted to Rice. 

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

Question for you guys.  If are in California and applying OOS somewhere, are your students compared to others in CA rather than all the applicants to a school.  It sounds to me that diversity is important to universities, so they often like to get students from many different states.  So if they only want a few from CA and all the the CA applicants are so amazing because they are in this bubble, do CA students actually need higher stats and ECs compared to the pool of applicants in order to get into a specific OOS school? And a related question: I get the impression that applicants are judged based on how well they took advantage of what was on offer in their locality, and since the Bay Area has SO much on offer, don't the students actually have to take advantage of it to look good?  Seems kind of a stink situation.

Students will be compared to the other students applying at that school.

There are plenty of colleges in the US, for every level of student. This is really about finances, not "getting into" college - OOS is more expensive.

A CA student applying at an OOS university will be compared to their other applicants, and most colleges are not terribly selective and it won't matter whether you have taken advantage of all those opportunities your district offered. Most colleges admit most students.

ETA: Comparison with other CA students may be an issue at top selective schools that try for geographic diversity and pick the best of their CA applicants. But at generic state-whatever-uni? Any Californian with a good ACT score will get in.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

My home country is moving to a holistic model for university admission versus purely exam based. It is making parents with elementary school kids start saving to send kids to Australia for university.

It's interesting to see where kids apply here.  If they are pointy, it is to Cambridge and Oxford which have exam-based entrance.  If they are more well rounded with some leadership, they apply to American elites. DS has a number of friends from the Maths camp who are applying overseas, and he often can predict which country they would apply to before even being told. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

It's interesting to see where kids apply here. If they are pointy, it is to Cambridge and Oxford which have exam-based entrance. If they are more well rounded with some leadership, they apply to American elites.

The thing with exam based is that kids with “average†scores like AAB, AAC, ABC knows which faculty they might be able to qualify for based on recent cutoffs. With no known cutoff bar, parents and students have nothing to based on and start thinking the worse case scenario.

ETA:

Just for clarification for those not used to exam based admissions, based on exam scores an admission index is computed. Based on the admission index computed from my scores, I know I have a fighting chance at engineering while being a shoo in for computational physics major. So it was stress free for me while I waited for college admission results since I knew I would get into at least one of my five choices under joint admission exercise.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I love where I live (and going through SE Asia now during burning season makes me miss my trees that much more), but I also had to learn to drive, and the kids learnt to ski when we moved upstate. The state university system just doesn’t compare with CA. Not even a bit.

From historical perspective yes due to the political pressure back in day from the many selective private colleges located in New York State. The SUNY system has come a long way since then and good students do choose to attend their better schools now.  [ If you can't get in, what good does it do to have the great UC system? ]

You certainly have to shop around but does CA have anything like Geneseo for example?

proud to be from upstate NY

Mark

So is the problem that there are simply not enough seats in the UC public university system for the growing population?  Why not just increase the size of the different universities?  Have satellite campuses if there is no physical space for more buildings. If the limit is not enough tax money and people don't want to pay more, then people are expecting something for nothing, aren't they?  Why not bring in more foreigners to pay the big bills and subsidize the local population.  So UCLA increases intake by 5000 students, and have 2000 be foreigners to pay the bill.  There is clearly something wrong with my logic because it seems too obvious.

• Like 1

So is the problem that there are simply not enough seats in the UC public university system for the growing population?  Why not just increase the size of the different universities?  Have satellite campuses if there is no physical space for more buildings. If the limit is not enough tax money and people don't want to pay more, then people are expecting something for nothing, aren't they?  Why not bring in more foreigners to pay the big bills and subsidize the local population.  So UCLA increases intake by 5000 students, and have 2000 be foreigners to pay the bill.  There is clearly something wrong with my logic because it seems too obvious.

I am not in CA, but from what I understand, that is exactly what is happening: too many people, too few resources.

You cannot just increase "intake" without stretching resources too thin. Who wants to be in a lecture with 1,000 students?

The newest campus at Merced has the highest acceptance rate but is not particularly popular.

Bringing in full paying foreigners creates a lot of ill will, because people feel they are taking seats away from CA students (even though they are actually subsidizing CA students). We had this discussion on this board before.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

If the limit is not enough tax money and people don't want to pay more, then people are expecting something for nothing, aren't they?

I think trust has long been broken on money handling at UC. About half of my property tax goes to the local school district and the money seems to go down a rabbit hole at times.

From an April 2017 news article https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Auditor-rips-UC-for-keeping-millions-in-secret-11097470.php?utm_campaign=twitter-premium

“SACRAMENTO — The University of California hid $175 million from the public in secret funds while its administrators demanded more money from the state, according to a report released Tuesday by state Auditor Elaine Howle.

Under the leadership of Janet Napolitano, the UC Office of the President amassed millions in the secret reserve funds in part by overestimating how much it needed to run the 10-campus university system — and then spending less than budgeted, the audit said. From 2012 to 2016, the office sought increased funding based on the inflated estimates, not actual spending, according to Howle.

About $32 million of the $175 million that Howle’s audit found in the secret reserve came from campus assessment fees — money that the auditor said could have been spent on students and should be returned to the campuses.

Even as it accumulated the campus fees, Napolitano persuaded the Board of Regents to increase those fees in two of the four years audited, Howle said.

In addition to setting aside money in the secret funds, Napolitano’s office created a secret budget to spend the money, the audit said.

Some of the secret funds were allocated for communications and brand management ($4.7 million), the president’s residence ($862,000), nonresident recruiting ($1.8 million) and an initiative that allows students at historically black colleges and universities to participate in UC summer research programs ($5.2 million).

The audit also found salaries within the Office of the President are significantly higher than those for comparable state employees, and that the UC headquarters offered job perks not seen in the public sector that totaled $21.6 million over the years audited.

The UC audit was ordered by state lawmakers to determine whether UC’s Oakland headquarters was was wisely spending its $686 million annual budget. Lawmakers said they were frustrated that spending in Napolitano’s office nearly doubled in recent years and that no one at UC could pinpoint how big the office’s staff is, with totals varying by nearly 500 people depending on who was counting.

The auditor pegged the Office of the President’s staff at nearly 1,700 employees. The office provides administrative services to the university system’s 10 campuses, such as managing the UC pension fund, and oversees systemwide programs such as online education.

Ting said lawmakers will hold a hearing next week to go over the audit. He said that if the $175 million had been directed toward student enrollment, more than 35,000 additional students could have attended UC schools.

“There is more money out there to fund more California students at UC,†Ting said at a press conference in his Capitol office. “It’s clear that the Office of the President themselves can pay for additional students out of their discretionary budget.â€

The state auditor recommended changing how the Office of the President is funded so that the Legislature has more oversight. Napolitano’s statement said a change would threaten the university’s autonomy.â€

ETA:

From Nov 16, 2017 news http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-uc-regents-audit-reactions-20171115-story.html

“The regents, meeting in San Francisco, were responding to an independent investigation that found Napolitano's top aides had sought to suppress campus criticism of the central office in confidential surveys from State Auditor Elaine Howle.

Napolitano approved a plan to review the surveys about her office's operations and services before they were sent back to the auditor.

After Howle publicly alleged that Napolitano's office improperly interfered, the regents commissioned the investigation by former state Supreme Court Justice Carlos Moreno and the Hueston Hennigan law firm. The investigation found that Napolitano's chief of staff, Seth Grossman, and deputy chief of staff, Bernie Jones, had pre-screened campus responses "with the specific purpose of shaping the responses to be less critical of" the UC Office of the President.â€

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 4

I saw a map once of the US that showed the who was the largest employer by state. In CA, guess who that was....University of California. 

Edited to add: I found it. 190K employees for 238K students. 

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/biggest-employers-us-every-state-map

Edited by calbear

I saw a map once of the US that showed the who was the largest employer by state. In CA, guess who that was....University of California. 

Edited to add: I found it. 190K employees for 238K students. 

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/biggest-employers-us-every-state-map

Obviously there are lots of overhead (non-teaching, non-research) type positions at UC.

The number of employees seems awfully high, without knowing how they are actually counting. How many of those are student employees working part time while simultaneously being students?

From their Oct 2016 staff workforce profile (3 page PDF https://www.ucop.edu/institutional-research-academic-planning/_files/workforce-profile-dashboard.pdf)

“ SMG 168

Managers(M) 6155

Senior Professionals(SP) 6,498

PSS Policy 38,833

PSS Represented 63,300

Student Staff 36,040

University Total 150,994

Career Staff 97,121

For medical center staff

UCIrvine 5,020

UCLA 12,344

UCSD 7,963

UCSF 10,213

UCDavis 8,355â€

• Like 3

My point is more that UC is huge. It's like a giant gorilla. We are like tiny ants. They pretty much have enormous power to enact policies that have widespread impact.

More like a mutant octopus. There was a bill for an 11th campus but I can’t find the follow up report.

“THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. (a) The Legislative Analyst’s Office shall conduct a study of, and report to the Legislature on, the feasibility of establishing a campus of the University of California devoted to science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. This The report shall be submitted to the Legislature, in compliance with Section 9795 of the Government Code, on or before January 1, 2017.

(b) (1) The sum of fifty million dollars ($50,000,000) is hereby appropriated from the General Fund, without regard to fiscal years, to the Controller for allocation to the Regents of the University of California for the establishment of, and acquisition of land for, the campus described in subdivision (a).

(2) The Controller shall not allocate the funds appropriated by paragraph (1) to the regents until the Controller determines that the regents have approved the establishment of, and decided on the location of, the campus described in subdivision (a).†https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1483

• Like 2

And there are no guarantees that the current TAG agreements will stay. I suppose other campuses could go the same way as selectivity keeps creeping up and up and trickling down the pecking order.

My guess is that they'd keep the TAG but raise the GPA required from a 3.0 to something that fewer students achieve. I think there is political pressure to keep a strong CC-to-UC pipeline just like there is political pressure to keep the "top X%" guarantee (9%? not sure)

• Like 2

The UC system also includes five medical centers with several hospitals.

Our local Children's Hospital is part of the UC system. Roughly half of my DD's doctors/therapists/etc. are part of UCSF (the other half are mostly part of Stanford, though her speech therapist is part of the oral school for the deaf and her general pediatrician has her own private practice).

You know that guaranteed admission number for UC has changed over time. It used to be top 12.5% back in 2012.

But it was tweaked rather than eliminated. That is what I think might happen to TAG. I think they will still have it but with stricter eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAG eligibility changes that I have seen posted so far

From UCDavis https://www.ucdavis.edu/sites/default/files/upload/files/18tag_criteriachanges.pdf

“Beginning fall 2020, the College of Letters and Science, the majors Applied Physics, Mathematics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Physics in the College of Letters and Science will become selective and will require preparatory coursework for admission. See TAG Criteria for full details.â€

From UCIrvine https://admissions.uci.edu/apply/transfer/requirements.php

“Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences

Please note: For Fall 2019 applicants, a minimum grade of B will be required for each major's required courses below.

Business Information Management ...

Computer Game Science ...

Computer Science ...

Computer Science and Engineering ...

Data Science ...

Informatics ...

Software Engineeringâ€

• 2 weeks later...

This came out during the great #WTMBlackout.

There's a local charter homeschooler in my area that got into Stanford but was rejected by UCDavis. There's a private homeschooler in my co-op who was rejected by UCSD but accepted at Cal.

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2018/03/26/reports-circulate-even-more-difficult-year-be-admitted-leading?utm_source=Inside+Higher+Ed&utm_campaign=70055a0db5-AI20180108&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1fcbc04421-70055a0db5-198227001&mc_cid=70055a0db5&mc_eid=6da28d1d74 

• Like 1

On a separate note about the OOS being held at 18%. I saw this really interesting article in WaPo about state flagships across the country with huge percentage of OOS admissions. The UMich one was shocking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2018/03/29/flagships-go-national-at-u-michigan-nearly-half-of-students-now-from-out-of-state/?utm_term=.d372cee8798e

15 hours ago, calbear said:

This came out during the great #WTMBlackout.

There's a local charter homeschooler in my area that got into Stanford but was rejected by UCDavis. There's a private homeschooler in my co-op who was rejected by UCSD but accepted at Cal.

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2018/03/26/reports-circulate-even-more-difficult-year-be-admitted-leading?utm_source=Inside+Higher+Ed&utm_campaign=70055a0db5-AI20180108&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1fcbc04421-70055a0db5-198227001&mc_cid=70055a0db5&mc_eid=6da28d1d74 

I saw that in the FB group that you mentioned (and thanks because reading in that group was a lifesaver during the blackout ).