Menu

Feeling anxious about upcoming hysterectomy

lea1

I am scheduled for a laparoscopy-assisted vaginal hysterectomy (removing uterus, cervix, ovaries and fallopian tubes) on Tuesday (staying over one night in the hospital) and I am feeling pretty anxious about it.  I go in for pre-op on Monday morning and I am sure I will receive lots of info then but the doctor's office has not provided any information to me....so, I have been searching the internet, of course, and reading tons about it, which may be making me more nervous:).

I have had laparoscopic surgery to remove my gallbladder and have had sinus surgery (both out-patient though) so I'm not so much worried about surgery in general, but more the details specific to this surgery.  Such as, I read that I might have to have a catheter. I've never had one before and it sounds like it would be very uncomfortable and/or painful/embarrassing, especially when they put it in and take it out.  I'm worried about the shaving of hair "down there" and whether they have to do that or not....just the general embarrassment of it and how uncomfortable it might be growing back in.  I also read that some people have to do a bowl prep the day before.  Nobody has mentioned this to me yet and I am hoping this does not apply to me, but worried because I had an extremely miserable time with this for my last colonoscopy and swore I would never do it again.

I am having this surgery due to periodic bleeding for which I already had a D&C (not sure what they call that these days) a few years ago.  They have done an ultrasound and believe they will be able to do the surgery without a full abdominal incision and we have no reason to suspect cancer.  Just providing as much info as possible so maybe it will help others to be able to provide more informative answers.

I am 55 years old (went through menopause in my mid-forties) and never had any biological children (2 adopted from Russia), never went through delivering a baby, so I am just a bit uncomfortable with all of this stuff and it is making me nervous.  I want to know what to expect but it is too late for me to get any info from my doctor's office until Monday morning, when I will go for pre-op anyway.  So, I am turning to Dr. Hive for information and encouragement.  Let me hear your good stories (no bad ones please...I have watched too many medical shows in the past so I already have enough bad stories going through my mind).

Understandably you are a little anxious. I've had a full incision hysterectomy 10 years ago and it was far less painful, horrible as I had imagined.

If nobody gave you a bowel prep, you evidently need none. But if you do it's not exactly fun but no worse than bad diarrhea, you may get a little light headed from dehydration.

Healing is very individual of course. I can only say that you are going to have a much smaller incision than I had so it's likely healing will be fast. Follow doc's orders - you have one chance to heal right! No lifting or exertion for a while.

I bet a month from now, you will hardly know it happened. One week postop I was cooking again but no other, heavier housework. Everything healed fine.

As for physical prep, you could check with your doc if full shaving is required.

The staff at the hospital where I was was super nice. They will take care of you.

There used to be a website called "Hyster Sisters" with endless advice on preop and postop hysterectomy issues. 

Ha! I found it:  http://www.hystersisters.com/

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I had gyn surgery a few years ago. They don’t put in the catheter until you are out cold and may remove it before you wake up. I was in the hospital 4 days and removal of the catheter at the end was no big deal - no pain at all.

Hair growing back was not a big deal. Took a couple of months I think. I did have bowel prep but they were also doing repair of a rectocele, which requires the prep. Without that, I would have gotten to skip the prep so ask your doctor.

I had very good nursing care post surgery and they were very proactive in getting me comfortable. Hope your surgery goes well!

• Like 3

Good story here after a complete hysterectomy with full abdominal incision!  Yes, there was discomfort and things I would have rather avoided, but I felt SO much better after my recovery period that I regretted not doing it years earlier. I did follow my doctor's orders to a T, which included taking it seriously easy for 2 weeks after. He said his patients who did that did much better than those who tried to get back into the swing of things fast. I also was very prepared at home--meals in the freezer, loads of paper plates, cups and bowls, plastic serving, etc. I also set up things I'd want around my recliner and an easy to reach table so when I returned home I didn't have to have people fetch that stuff for me. 

It's been awhile and I don't remember about the catheter and shaving, but it was while I was under anesthesia so no embarrassment. 

Hyster Sisters is a great resource. http://www.hystersisters.com/

• Like 3

They most likely will wait until you are sedated to insert the catheter IF you need one - if it is not a lengthy surgery they may just have you make sure to pee once more time before going into the operating room. For various procedures that were an hour or less I have not had to have a catheter. Now, I have had them at other times - usually wake up and it is already in place. If so, you don't feel it, and no big deal when removed. But, again, I doubt you will need one. If someone does come at you to insert a catheter, ask them to wait until you are sedated.

I assume you will just be advised to not eat/drink from midnight on, and possibly give yourself a Fleet and poop before going in the next day.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

I had my hyst (similar style to yours) about a year ago-my experience:

--no shaving, so no growing back, itching, etc.

-- no colonoscopy like prep, but dr did mention to be sure that I wasn't blocked up *before* surgery, because surgery wouldn't improve that at all.  But no forced clean out required. 

-- catheter and IV were standard, and needed.  I was put under, and did not really notice anything or feel embarrassed about it. Cath removal is quick and not invasive or uncomfortable (I've had 5 C-sections....BTDT.)

Please take the full recovery time and recover.  DO NOT try to lift that laundry basket, scrub that shower, etc.  Let yourself recover and rest. My surgeon was very adamant that he did not want a second surgery to have to try to repair things just because I thought I had a cape and a big red "s" on my chest.  ;)  Let your friends and family pamper you.  Watch all seasons of your favorite show, read that book you never got to, etc. 

Hope your surgery and recovery go well.  Mine did, and I am SOOOO glad I had it done. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 6

Did this a couple of years ago, it was the best decision!!!

Regarding your specific questions - you will awake with a catheter. At first you won't really feel it. As the anesthesia wears off, you become more aware of it, but it's a bit of a mind over matter thing. I mean, no one really wants a catheter in place, but you're not in any shape to get up and go to the bathroom, either, so it's good to have. You will likely have it in place for several hours, maybe half the time you are in the hospital. If st any time it's really causing discomfort, ask a nurse to come and check it.

Shaving/prepping down below - I didn't notice that they did anything. YMMV.

Be sure to take time for the full recovery- weeks of lifting restrictions! You will tire easily for several weeks following the procedure, so don't have great expectations for your activity.

• Like 1

I had a vaginal lap-assisted hysterectomy in my 20s. Ok, so that’s been, ummm, a while, ok, 20 years. :) But I want to tell you that it was easier than I expected. At the time, I was not even recovered from a prior laparoscopic surgery.

I didn’t need bowel prep, or a catheter longer than a little while - not long enough to notice. They will make you get up and pee, and it will be uncomfortable, but you can do this! You’ll get a peri bottle to rinse with, and take it home. Stay on top of your pain meds the first few days, don’t let the pain get ahead of you. And don’t lift or vacuum. Really listen to your docs recommendations. And let your helpers help you, whether that’s a DH or a friend or other family. Let them do things for you!

I want to tell you about the lady in the room with me, and wish you an experience just like hers... she was in her late 40s, and her DD was graduating from high school the following weekend. She was worried that she might not make it, but wow, the next day she was in great shape! It was really cool!

I had zero complication re: surgery. It was a breeze. I did find out that I’m allergic to morphine though, so that part wasn’t fun but was not related to the surgery. You won’t face that, as you’ve obviously had other surgeries with no allergy issues. :)

Anyway, once my allergic episode was over, I recovered normally. In fact, I watched and assisted a bit as my mom and DH packed up my house, loaded a truck and we drove cross country two week post-op to move to the east coast. Yup. Crazy!

All in all, it was stressful going in and being afraid, but the surgery and recovery were so much easier than I’d hoped. I wish the same for you.

Back then, there was a support site called Hyster Sisters - not sure if they are still around, but they might have good info.

My surgery wasn’t till 4 pm, and to pass the time that morning, my DH sent me to a spa for a facial and pedi. It was helpful, just to get my mind off of worrying. If there’s something you can do to relax, go for it.

Get some good books for your recovery time, and again, follow all your doc’s instructions on lifting and things like vacuuming.

Wishing you the best!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I had one around twelve or so years ago, in my early 40's. It was one of the best medical decisions I've ever made. Echoing what others have said--the catheter will likely be placed after you're out. It will be removed as soon as possible after you're awake and able to get up and walk. And that may be before you think you're ready. ;) Walking is good! And they want you doing it ASAP. IME catheters can range anywhere from a little uncomfortable to don't-even-know-it's-there. Removal is no big deal. I don't remember about any shaving. If it was done it was after I was out and must not have been a big deal at all regarding re-growth for me not to remember much about it. I didn't have to do any bowel prep. Try not to worry about any embarrassment factor. This is stuff the nurses and docs deal with routinely. What's a big deal to you is ho-hum routine to them.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

You guys are all so awesome!  Thanks so much for responding and making me feel more at ease.  I have a very low pain tolerance so things like this get me worked up a bit.  Thanks so much for your reassurance and encouragement.  And I am definitely going to be very careful about not over-doing it after surgery....although I don't think I can go a full two weeks before driving again.  I think I can manage one week, since my sister is coming to help out and it is spring break, so no piano/guitar lessons and baseball practice maybe.  But the second week I will either have to drive or cancel a bunch of stuff.

I am going to get on buying paper plates and cups and stuff and also buying some books.  I had not even thought of those things!  

You all are an awesome bunch!

• Like 1

Just a note about the Hyster Sister site - at one time it was great, but 2-3 years ago when I was visiting there, it seemed like an endless litany of worst case scenarios. So, you might could find most of your questions answered by your doctor's office and the hive instead.

• Like 3

You guys are all so awesome!  Thanks so much for responding and making me feel more at ease.  I have a very low pain tolerance so things like this get me worked up a bit.  Thanks so much for your reassurance and encouragement.  And I am definitely going to be very careful about not over-doing it after surgery....although I don't think I can go a full two weeks before driving again.  I think I can manage one week, since my sister is coming to help out and it is spring break, so no piano/guitar lessons and baseball practice maybe.  But the second week I will either have to drive or cancel a bunch of stuff.

I am going to get on buying paper plates and cups and stuff and also buying some books.  I had not even thought of those things!  

You all are an awesome bunch!

For the ride home from the hospital, I had a large pillow clutched to my belly. This helped with some bumps in the road. But I had a full incision and 2 hours of driving.

Also, it was very nice to have some stretchy / sweatpants with a drawstring or soft waistband handy since regular clothes would have rubbed me wrong. :)

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I agree. A recliner is really helpful. I didn't sleep in my bed for a few weeks. Also, give yourself 6 full weeks for recovery. It really does take that long- it's a major surgery and your body needs lots of rest for healing. I've had lots of other surgeries before, but with my hysterectomy, I was wiped out!

• Like 1

I haven't had the surgery, but I did used to work in nursing on a GYN floor.  A couple things I don't see mentioned - the laparoscopic surgery is much quicker recovery time.  I had many patients remark that the pain was far less than they were expecting.  The most difficult thing seemed to be standing up and walking the first time.

One thing to be aware of - after the catheter is out they'll probably send a tech or nursing student to your bed to do a bedside ultrasound that measures your bladder.  Most people are fine with the catheter removed but some people have so much swelling they can't pee and they need it reinserted.  This is quite rare with the laproscopy, but if your bladder gets so full it starts to hurt and the ultrasound confirms they might reinsert. I've only seen that happen a couple of times though, and in both cases the woman was in so much pain from the full bladder that she was instantly relieved by getting the catheter.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, these are good things to know.  One nice thing I have going for me is that we have a Sleep Number bed that raises and lowers at the head and foot so hopefully that will help some. 

You all have really helped to bring me some peace of mind about all of this and I greatly appreciate it.  It is so much better to have some expectations set, especially with how long recovery takes and taking it easy.  I have been telling dh what you all are saying because he has a very high pain tolerance and never misses a day of work for sickness (he is a doctor:).  He does not have the most empathetic bedside manner but, fortunately, my sister will be with me and she was a nurse and just quit a couple of years ago.  She is very empathetic and such a wonderful caregiver.  I couldn't ask for a better person to be by my side during all of this so that helps a lot too.  And she is going to stay a few days to help out and possibly come back for a day or two the following week also.  I have also been telling my two sons (both 12 years old) about the limitations of my recovery time and I know they will be a big help.  Thank you all for helping to set realistic expectations.:).

• Like 2

I'm 52 had this surgery in mid December (atypical hyperplasia/early early stage cancer with no additional treatment needed).  As of today (12 weeks out) I am STILL on restrictions... with luck only one more week.  I have a high pain tolerance-- and I have been VERY careful to follow all of the rules (no bending/lifting/TEA...).  The Dr thinks there are some small adhesion where the cervix used to be and on the upper left of my tummy where one incision was... there has been some SLOW improvement so we are still playing the waiting game.   I've had 2 previous ab surgeries so I am at higher risk for adhesion.

Please do not plan on driving the 2nd week-- make arrangements NOW!  I started driving after 14 days and probably should have waited a few more.

DH heard of a friend of a friend who had the surgery and was back at work 4 days later-- he was so BUMMED (and still is!) that I was not like that other NON-TYPICAL person! 

My energy came back SLOWLY-- but I was never in a lot of pain (the first 2-3 days were uncomfortable though!).  Sitting down was OK-- but getting UP can HURT!  I was back at work 2 weeks later-- but really really could have used a third or even forth week (and I work out of my home office!).

Pushing a shopping cart is still out of my league-- 12 weeks later! 

Please plan on some pre-made meals and accept ANY and ALL help from friends/family.

On my third day out from surgery DH asked me what I was cooking for dinner... so I cooked a lasagna-- NOT a good idea!  DH and DD were slow to understand that mom was really out of commission and would be for a while.  For the record they are both overprotective of me now (and DH learned that he really could do the dishes!).

Thankfully I did not require any bowel prep or shaving... I had to have a catheter (not optional with my Dr) and I all but ripped the catheter out after surgery-- it was PAINFUL from the time I woke up in recovery-- it ended up NOT being placed correctly (I TOLD THEM!!)-- once they took it out all was better with the world. 

• Like 1

I had a hysterectomy on Feb 9th (abdominal incision) and I’m still recovering. It has been rough. Surgery went fine, but then I had an allergic reaction to pain meds and then my incision developed an infection.

I thought this would be similar to a c-section, and it just hasn’t been. When they say 6-8 weeks of recovery, they really mean it.

I was also terrified of surgery. I had a tumor that had to come out, which really forced me to get it done. And the pathology report showed several other issues too that we were not aware of. So, I should feel really wonderful once I have recovered. It is just taking a very long time.

My recovery was much different than many report. Within 48 hours of surgery I felt much better in every way than I had in many years. That's not an exaggeration. In fact, I feel like it's more of a gross understatement than even a tiny exaggeration. I had nothing that I'd remotely deem "pain" after about twelve hours following the surgery. Maybe a twinge here and there at most. Zero need for a recliner to sleep in or anything other than my regular bed. A vaginal hysterectomy is a totally different thing than a c-section or other abdominal surgery involving large cuts and staples or stitches! Trust me, I had two c-sections. The hysterectomy was a total walk in the park comparatively (although personally I didn't think the c-sections were much of a big deal). I had no help after the hysterectomy other than DH, who went to work the Monday after I came home on Friday, and I totally didn't need any. The boys were old enough that I didn't need to lift them and could get them to lift things for me instead. I probably did overdo things quite a lot, as I went back to doing laundry and other light housekeeping right away, and I probably drove within a week. Maybe less. Yes, I know those are all things I wasn't supposed to do. But I wasn't taking any pain medicine to cloud my thinking or reaction time, and I felt SO much better it was pretty much impossible for me to sit around and twiddle my fingers. That was 12 or 13 years ago and I've had no negative repercussions. But . . . I was also about 42 at the time. I'm 55 now, so might not have the same experience at all.