Menu

Wilson Hill Language Arts courses?

Anyone here have a child taking Language Arts 1,2 or 3 classes with them? Are these online classes for Grades 4, 5, and 6 worth them? I am considering it for fall 2018.

Do they have comprehension quizzes due regularly, paragraph writing, academic papers, and a grammar practices in a year? How many writing assignments are in these classes? How long are the classes?

What are your opinions on those as far as difficulty, appropriate level of work for the ages, etc.? Are they rigorous?

Thanks in advance for any input.  :confused1: 

• 3 weeks later...

I registered my son, who will be in 6th grade next year, for LA2.  I have a friend whose daughter did LA1 last year and is in LA2 with Mrs. McGahey this year and really likes it.  I contacted Sara McGahey, the teacher for LA2.  Here are pieces of her emails that answered my many question. 

"Wilson Hill takes a more Charlotte Mason approach at this stage of learning.  Our desire is for literature to be in the driver's seat with writing in the passenger seat and grammar in the backseat.  We want to use grammar to make students better readers and writers.  We want to produce a sense of wonderment over story and language while building skills...The grammar of LA2 is fairly comprehensive.  We cover all 4 sentence purposes, all 4 sentence structures, and all 7 sentence patterns, plus a ton more.  We parse and diagram (not looking for mastery of diagramming). It is not a beginner course. A student who has had any introductory grammar course should do fine...    

Each week the students have copywork and vocabulary from the piece of literature we are reading.  We also do a short dictation at the beginning of each live session...I stress that they should only spend 15 to 20 minutes on their copywork.  The copywork and dictation is recorded in a commonplace journal.  I choose passages and sentences that either have a good punctuation lesson, vocabulary words, or a deeper thought that we can talk about... We take time to look at the dictation sentences.  At first I just pointed out the grammar elements.  Now l ask them what they see.  It is fun to watch them notice what they learn in class in their reading...

The writing on the other hand has a much slower pace with a focus on great sentence structure and paragraph formation.  We do creative writing through setting and character descriptions and a dialogue amplification.  We take it slow because I want them to apply feedback.  I give fairly extensive feedback.  Writers are individuals and each one needs specific instruction... Second semester, we start by learning to write a thesis-driven paragraph using textual evidence from our reading and commentating on it.  We write three of these kinds of paragraphs and then start looking at intro and concluding paragraphs, building towards writing a strong 5-paragraph persuasive essay.   We write essays fairly piecemeal.  At this age, they are not told write a persuasive essay on ______. We end the year with an encomium on the father in Little Britches.  The writing is not very demanding.  Again, I give a great deal of feedback so that each writer progresses as his own pace. 

Some students may need to progress from LA2 to LA3 to LA4 to LA5, but others will find that they will skip levels."

I hope this is as helpful to you as it was to me.  My son has been doing Writing & Rhetoric online with Schole Academy for the past two years.  It has been great, but I plan to move him to Wilson Hill Academy for high school because it's now accreditted and my daughter loves her classes and teachers at WHA.  My son will be doing both LA2 & Writing & Rhetoric 3 next year because I feel they compliment each other so well.   

• 5 months later...

My son is presently in LA2 at WHA this year.  I really like the course.  Before each class begins, students take a short quiz.  The quizzes have had questions from the chapters they were assigned as well as some grammar questions.

They begin class with dictation.  The dictation is an exerpt from the book they are reading.  Day one of class each week, vocabulary definitions taken from the reading are due.  Students also need to have completed assigned reading. During class during the week, they learn and practice grammar and literary skills.  On Saturdays, copywork is due, Practical Pratice which is like a quiz that covers what was covered in their classes for the week (Students can use their notes and workbook to complete this assignment),  and a Dynamic Discussion which is a written assignment.  So far, the students have written a paragraph about themselves and a chapter summary.  There is also a recitation project due about every 3 weeks. 

My son is doing this class as well as Writing & Rhetoric 3 with Schole Academy.  I find they compliment each other really well.  LA2 reviews what my son has learned in Writing & Rhetoric 1 & 2 as well as grammar.  LA2 may be more challenging for students that didn't take LA1 or do something like Writing & Rhetoric.  Students also need to have a grammar background.  I used Winston Grammar in 4th grade and Well-ordered Language 1 through schole academy last year.  I think I'd do LA1 instead of Well-ordered Language if I did it over again.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking time and responding me Ibell and Specialkmom! May I ask which Grammer series they are doing in WHA LA2? Surley Grammer 5?

Is there any online classes for CAP Fable and narrative?

What are the differences in between CAP Fable & Narrative series and Writing and Rhetoric series?

Thanks in advance !

Schole Academy (Classical Academic Press) has online classes for the Writing & Rhetoric series.  Fable & Narative are the first two books of the Writing & Rhetoric series.  LA 1 & 2 uses a Charlotte Mason approach to teaching grammar, punctuation, etc.  WHA LA has made files for parents to print out to make a class "workbook".  Classroom Connections is one part they use in class.  Each week they focus on a grammar concept and punctuation rule. They are taught in class and work along in the workbook.  They are continually reviewing with copywork & dictation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 5:05 AM, Rosepetal said:

Anyone here have a child taking Language Arts 1,2 or 3 classes with them? Are these online classes for Grades 4, 5, and 6 worth them? I am considering it for fall 2018.

Do they have comprehension quizzes due regularly, paragraph writing, academic papers, and a grammar practices in a year? How many writing assignments are in these classes? How long are the classes?

What are your opinions on those as far as difficulty, appropriate level of work for the ages, etc.? Are they rigorous?

Thanks in advance for any input.  :confused1: 

Wanted to give an update on LA2 at Wilson Hill Academy.  My son, who can read but never chooses to read in his free time, loves the class.  It is crossing off my list all the things I want to do weekly, but often don't get to.  He is also putting more effort into the class than he will for me. Here is a description of what they are doing beside reading literature.

Day 1 - Dictation, go over vocabulary homework, Classroom Connection grammar/capitalizaion/etc. lesson (students finish the lesson for homework)

Day 2 - Dictation, discuss the literature, Classroom Connection review & go over writing assignment

Homework due on Saturdays at 11:59pm 

1. Dictation (done in class) & copywork  - Parents checks

2. Practical Practice - open book quiz that has them do exercises that cover grammar/Cap rules learned/reviewed in class.    My son does  this on Friday

3. Dynamic Discussion - write a response about the literature and respond to a classmate (very specific directions given each week)    My son does this on Thursday

4. Recitation project - they have about 3-4 weeks to memorize a poem.  On the due date they record themselves and submit it.    Poem is on his mirror to go over each time he brushes his teeth.

5. Writing Project - This week they had to turn "telling" sentences into "showing" sentences.  Next week they write a setting description first draft.     My son does this on Friday

Hope this is helpful!

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2018 at 5:33 PM, lbell said:

Wanted to give an update on LA2 at Wilson Hill Academy.  My son, who can read but never chooses to read in his free time, loves the class.  It is crossing off my list all the things I want to do weekly, but often don't get to.  He is also putting more effort into the class than he will for me. Here is a description of what they are doing beside reading literature.

Day 1 - Dictation, go over vocabulary homework, Classroom Connection grammar/capitalizaion/etc. lesson (students finish the lesson for homework)

Day 2 - Dictation, discuss the literature, Classroom Connection review & go over writing assignment

Homework due on Saturdays at 11:59pm 

1. Dictation (done in class) & copywork  - Parents checks

2. Practical Practice - open book quiz that has them do exercises that cover grammar/Cap rules learned/reviewed in class.    My son does  this on Friday

3. Dynamic Discussion - write a response about the literature and respond to a classmate (very specific directions given each week)    My son does this on Thursday

4. Recitation project - they have about 3-4 weeks to memorize a poem.  On the due date they record themselves and submit it.    Poem is on his mirror to go over each time he brushes his teeth.

5. Writing Project - This week they had to turn "telling" sentences into "showing" sentences.  Next week they write a setting description first draft.     My son does this on Friday

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for your detailed reply. May l ask that how many writing projects till now from September your dc has done? ls their writing each week? Could you clarify what types of writing beside,summary,description writings they have written? 

Now that a semester is almost over, I can provide more info on writing.  There are both Dynamic Discussion and Writing Projects.  The writing Projects didn't start until week 5.  All the assignments have the students practice concepts being learned in class. There are detailed directions that I did not include.  The Dynamic Discussions have students respond to at least one classmate.

Weeks

1 - Dynamic Discussion 1 - Write a paragraph about yourself with no help.

2 - Dynamic Discussion 2 - A Wrinkle in Time Chapter Summary

3 - Dynamic Discussion 3 - A Wrinkle in Time - Pick a charter from the story but don't reveal the name.  Descript the charter and post.  Let classmates guess who it is.

4 - Test #1

5 - Dynamic Discussion 5 -  Write a response to the following questions.  You must use at least six sentences.  Be sure to give evidence from the book to support your answer. Do you feel sorry for Colin or do you think he is just spoiled and selfish?  Why do you think Mary can make Colin settle down when nobody else can

5 -  Writing Project 1 - Telling & Showing Sentences - Change the provided telling sentences to showing sentences

6 - Dynamic Discussion 6 - Figurative Language - Find a sample from the literature and write a paragraph that answers these questions: 

1. What were the two things being compared?
2. Why do you think the author chose to compare these two things?  
3. What imagery, including
appeal to all senses, did this metaphor/simile help create in your mind? 
4. What would have been a BORING way of saying the same thing? 

7 - Dynamic Discussion  - Bandit or Hero -After reading the first two chapters of The Bronze Bow, answer the following prompt/question with no less than 3 thoughtful sentences. 

7 - Writing Project 2 - Setting Description First Draft - Choose a picture and write a paragraph describing it.  remember to "show" not "tell".

8  - Test #2

8  - Writing Project #2 Final Draft

9 - Writing Project #3-  Create your own Character using a planning sheet

9 - Dynamic Discussion #9 - Figurtive Language in the Bronze Bow: Find a sample from the literature and write a paragraph that answers questions listed

10 - Writing Project #3 - Character description paragraph First Draft

10 - Dynamic Discussion #10 - One summary from the Bronze Bow

12 - Writing Project #3 - Character description paragraph Final Draft

12 - Dynamic Discussion #12 - For this discussion, write a 6 to 8 sentence paragraph about the ideas of thankfulness, discontentment, and meditation on scripture. You must also include a Bible verse that relates to the topic in addition to your 6 to 8 sentences.

13 - Dynamic Discussiont #13  - Character Dialogue - Create a dialogue between the character you created and a character from one of the books we have read in class and post it for peer review.  

1. First say something that the classmate did well.
  2. If you see a way to correct something, you may share that information in a helpful and gracious way. You may only share one or two corrections.

14 - Writing Project #4  - Character Dialogue - Create a dialogue between the character you created and a character from one of the books we have read in class - Final Draft

I hope this is helpful.  I'd like detailed info on LA3 if anyone has a child in that class : )

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 5:39 PM, specialkmom said:

@lbell

my ds is in LA 2 as well! That’s cool. 

We did CAP Fable and Narrative 1 last year. I plan to do Narrative 2 alongside LA 2 this year because I really like CAP’s W&R series.

My son ranks W&R above LA2 because LA2 is a lot more work (copy work, dictation, reading, summarizing, writing projects, grammar).  It's everything he needs, but he likes the stories in W&R and only having one assignment.  I am trying to decide if he will do LA3 at WHA as well as W&R 4 next year.  They are very different but go so well together.  I'm just not sure if he can handle the addition of The Grear Conversations 1 or Omnibus 1 self-paced with it.

13 hours ago, lbell said:

Now that a semester is almost over, I can provide more info on writing.  There are both Dynamic Discussion and Writing Projects.  The writing Projects didn't start until week 5.  All the assignments have the students practice concepts being learned in class. There are detailed directions that I did not include.  The Dynamic Discussions have students respond to at least one classmate.

Weeks

1 - Dynamic Discussion 1 - Write a paragraph about yourself with no help.

2 - Dynamic Discussion 2 - A Wrinkle in Time Chapter Summary

3 - Dynamic Discussion 3 - A Wrinkle in Time - Pick a charter from the story but don't reveal the name.  Descript the charter and post.  Let classmates guess who it is.

4 - Test #1

5 - Dynamic Discussion 5 -  Write a response to the following questions.  You must use at least six sentences.  Be sure to give evidence from the book to support your answer. Do you feel sorry for Colin or do you think he is just spoiled and selfish?  Why do you think Mary can make Colin settle down when nobody else can

5 -  Writing Project 1 - Telling & Showing Sentences - Change the provided telling sentences to showing sentences

6 - Dynamic Discussion 6 - Figurative Language - Find a sample from the literature and write a paragraph that answers these questions: 

1. What were the two things being compared?
2. Why do you think the author chose to compare these two things?  
3. What imagery, including
appeal to all senses, did this metaphor/simile help create in your mind? 
4. What would have been a BORING way of saying the same thing? 

7 - Dynamic Discussion  - Bandit or Hero -After reading the first two chapters of The Bronze Bow, answer the following prompt/question with no less than 3 thoughtful sentences. 

7 - Writing Project 2 - Setting Description First Draft - Choose a picture and write a paragraph describing it.  remember to "show" not "tell".

8  - Test #2

8  - Writing Project #2 Final Draft

9 - Writing Project #3-  Create your own Character using a planning sheet

9 - Dynamic Discussion #9 - Figurtive Language in the Bronze Bow: Find a sample from the literature and write a paragraph that answers questions listed

10 - Writing Project #3 - Character description paragraph First Draft

10 - Dynamic Discussion #10 - One summary from the Bronze Bow

12 - Writing Project #3 - Character description paragraph Final Draft

12 - Dynamic Discussion #12 - For this discussion, write a 6 to 8 sentence paragraph about the ideas of thankfulness, discontentment, and meditation on scripture. You must also include a Bible verse that relates to the topic in addition to your 6 to 8 sentences.

13 - Dynamic Discussiont #13  - Character Dialogue - Create a dialogue between the character you created and a character from one of the books we have read in class and post it for peer review.  

1. First say something that the classmate did well.
  2. If you see a way to correct something, you may share that information in a helpful and gracious way. You may only share one or two corrections.

14 - Writing Project #4  - Character Dialogue - Create a dialogue between the character you created and a character from one of the books we have read in class - Final Draft

I hope this is helpful.  I'd like detailed info on LA3 if anyone has a child in that class : )

Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart for taking out the time and wrote all the details. Could you kindly clear me that are these writing projects or discussions for both the semesters? and for Recitation project are there anything specifically related to Bible? Thanks!

9 hours ago, Rosepetal said:

Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart for taking out the time and wrote all the details. Could you kindly clear me that are these writing projects or discussions for both the semesters? and for Recitation project are there anything specifically related to Bible? Thanks!

Yes, the Writing Projects and Dynamic Discussions continue all year.  Here is a list of the recitation projects.

List of Recitation Projects and Due Dates

Subject to change.

Recitation Project #1: "Lady Moon, Lady Moon" by Lord Houghton due at the end of week 3

Recitation Project #2: "The Secret" Anonymous due at the end of week 6

Recitation Project #3: Psalm 24 (any version) due at the end of week 10

Recitation Project #4: "If" by Rudyard Kipling due at the end of week 17

Recitation Project #5 Part 1: Romans 12:1-8 (any version) due at the end of week 22

Recitation Project #5 Part 2: Romans 12:9-21(any version) due at the end of week 27

Recitation Project #6: "Nobility" by Alice Cary due at the end of week 34

On 12/10/2018 at 10:15 AM, lbell said:

Yes, the Writing Projects and Dynamic Discussions continue all year.  Here is a list of the recitation projects.

List of Recitation Projects and Due Dates

Subject to change.

Recitation Project #1: "Lady Moon, Lady Moon" by Lord Houghton due at the end of week 3

Recitation Project #2: "The Secret" Anonymous due at the end of week 6

Recitation Project #3: Psalm 24 (any version) due at the end of week 10

Recitation Project #4: "If" by Rudyard Kipling due at the end of week 17

Recitation Project #5 Part 1: Romans 12:1-8 (any version) due at the end of week 22

Recitation Project #5 Part 2: Romans 12:9-21(any version) due at the end of week 27

Recitation Project #6: "Nobility" by Alice Cary due at the end of week 34

Thanks a lot!