Menu

Cheap, quick and healthy. Meal ideas?

SamanthaCarter

I can consistently get two out of three of those things, but really need to hit all three at once more often. Ideas please? Mostly dinner, but lunch ideas are good too. Hit me!

Healthy = typical American definition. Omnivore, lots of veggies, some grain, adequate protein. Lowish carb. Nothing really banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken tacos! Quick if you do crock pot chicken tacos (chicken, salsa, and taco seasoning on low til chicken is done then shred). You can add black beans and corn to the crock pot to stretch it if your kids like those. Top with lots of veggies and a little cheese. Skip the tortillas if low carb or use baked corn tortillas.

Rice, sauteed veggies and any Adelle link or cubed chicken / other favorite meat / fish.

I precook 2 cups of rice every week so it's ready to eat in the fridge (cooked amount more than doubles). This means quickly sauteeing veggies, adding rice to just warm up and cutting up a fully cooked link / sausage. Should not take more than 10 minutes.

I keep tamari and teriyaki sauce on hand for an extra kick.

Edited by Liz CA

Put a batch of veg on to roast with olive oil, salt and pepper, or other seasonings to taste (30 minutes). Cook wholegrain pasta (not more than 75g per person), drain and oil.  While it's cooking, steam a green veg.  Open a packet of smoked mackerel, flake and mix with the pasta.  Serve roast veg, steamed veg with any dressing you fancy, wholegrain pasta with mackerel.

• Like 1

I've gotten out of the habit, but this worked for me.

Stock the fridge with cooked brown rice, quinoa, some whole grain pasta for my pickier ones.

A couple of sliced up chicken breasts sauteed in Season All, a couple baked plain for the kids who like sauces, and some cooked up taco meat.  There's usually some cooked and cleaned shrimp in the freezer, too.  I tend to forget to defrost it, though!

A freezer full of vegetable pouches and some greens in the fridge. (But I have 2 who prefer to grab raw carrots, celery, and peppers from the drawer.)

I try to keep tortillas and cheese blocks stocked.

During sports seasons, we can get 6 people fed different plates and out the door faster this way than I can get 1 standard meal cooked, fed, and cleaned.

• Like 1

Black bean tacos

1 can corn, drained

1 can black beans drained

1 can petite diced tomatoes, mostly drained

1 pack taco seasoning mix

Mix together and heat through. Serve with lettuce, sour cream, cheese, onions, etc (whatever you want/have in hand) either over rice like a bowl or in soft tortillas.

Super flexible as you can add left over chicken or beef or rice to the mix as well.

• Like 1

Chicken skewers.  I dust ours with za'atar seasoning and pan fry in a little bit of olive oil.  For dipping sauce while they cook I mix whole milk greek yogurt with lemon juice, garlic paste, olive oil and salt.  A light salad on the side of arugula and chopped dates with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil dressing.  The whole thing takes me about 15 minutes, less if I do tenders or bites and no skewers.  We eat this hot or cold (for lunches) and serve with a few pita chips or soft pita wedges to round it out.

• Like 1