Menu

Chronic illness from mold exposure?

Faithr

I have posted before about my 16 yo's struggles with Hashimoto's.  The dr recently tested her for mold as well because we discovered after a big flood in the house that there apparently had been a slow leak for a long time and we had mold build up.  We had the house treated for mold.    Then we had our dd tested and this came back positive for ochratoxins and gliotoxins.  Anyone here dealt with this before?  Would you mind sharing your symptoms and treatment?  Thanks.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have not had experience with this but just recently watched a documentary about a family who had a really horrific black mold issue. They dealt with memory issues, brain fog and other symptoms that felt to them like early stages of Alzheimers. I remember they had general body fatigue and overall body pain/feeling of being "unwell"

• Like 1

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have not had experience with this but just recently watched a documentary about a family who had a really horrific black mold issue. They dealt with memory issues, brain fog and other symptoms that felt to them like early stages of Alzheimers. I remember they had general body fatigue and overall body pain/feeling of being "unwell"

I will have to look for that documentary.  We didn't have black mold, I don't think.  I guess I better find out exactly what that is!  But the symptoms are similar along with chronic sinus irritation and odd rashes that come and go for no reason. 

This kind of scares me I have to be honest. When we moved in we had to do a major clean up here. We knew there was a lot of stuff and work to do with the house but we underestimated how bad. I ripped up carpet that had been laid on earth in one of the sheds that was mouldy. There were three layers of carpet which we removed and disposed of.

I could say yes to all those symptoms though not all the time. Fatigue, achiness and brain fog. And it really started around the time we moved in. Though I've always put it down to going from one to two kids and getting older. And that probably really is all it is.

:lurk5:

My adult brother found extensive mold in our parents' finished basement a few months ago.

Trying to figure out how to clean & help them take this seriously . . . & give them relief from these symptoms?

Is this the trailer for the "Black Mold Exposure" documentary you're referring to?

Thanks!

• Like 1

This kind of scares me I have to be honest. When we moved in we had to do a major clean up here. We knew there was a lot of stuff and work to do with the house but we underestimated how bad. I ripped up carpet that had been laid on earth in one of the sheds that was mouldy. There were three layers of carpet which we removed and disposed of.

I could say yes to all those symptoms though not all the time. Fatigue, achiness and brain fog. And it really started around the time we moved in. Though I've always put it down to going from one to two kids and getting older. And that probably really is all it is.

I could have written this post.  We moved into a new to us house in Oct.  We discovered mold in the crawl space and attic, which we were able to get the previous owners to pay for before going to settlement. But, we have been discovering many areas of neglect in this house and I have to wonder what else is hiding.  I bought a mold testing kit because of a few areas I discovered.  I haven't had a chance to test because  I'm sick.... again.  I cannot seem to get out of this sickness cycle.  It's very disheartening and makes me just wonder if it's the house or bad luck.

• Like 2

Apparently, the treatment is to get a prescription binding agent that helps pull the toxins out of your body.  According to my dd's doctor 24% of the population has a genetic predisposition to not being able to purge the toxins on their own.  Most people apparently can recover but some can not and need help.  They also give supplements that boost the body's ability to cope and there are some dietary guidelines as well.

I don't know anything about it except for an HGTV show I saw once where a wife had gotten in the attic to take some pictures and figure out what they needed to do to fix a leak and a few days later she died of pneumonia, presumably from mold.  I guess I would ask locally if anyone knows a doctor to recommend.  Certainly one kind of health problem can make others worse.

• Like 1

I could have written this post. We moved into a new to us house in Oct. We discovered mold in the crawl space and attic, which we were able to get the previous owners to pay for before going to settlement. But, we have been discovering many areas of neglect in this house and I have to wonder what else is hiding. I bought a mold testing kit because of a few areas I discovered. I haven't had a chance to test because I'm sick.... again. I cannot seem to get out of this sickness cycle. It's very disheartening and makes me just wonder if it's the house or bad luck.

Liking your post to acknowledge it not because I like that you feel this way.

I don't know a lot, but this happened to a friend of mine. She spent a full year super sick - at first she didn't know why, then they found the mold, then it took much longer to treat than the doctors thought it would. She had to get rid of most of her possessions - even the tiniest bit of mold could trigger her again. She has some other health issues and the mold exposure made those much worse for a time too. She's now basically recovered though, so that's good news, I guess, but it's also three years ago now, so the recovery was long and bad and involved a lot of moving and loss of stuff as well as the health issues.

• Like 1

Well, I tested positive for allergies to various types of molds (one that you listed and others).  According to my handouts, molds are incredibly common and you can find them on your produce, in your yard when it's damp (and our summers are very humid), etc.  So probably these molds are everywhere even if not in large numbers in the house. 

I have severe allergy symptoms, but I'm also allergic to other common things so I couldn't tell at any given moment what is the real problem.  Other than that, I don't have any unusual symptoms.