Menu

Class of 2018 Decisions Thread

On 4/27/2018 at 2:02 AM, lewelma said:

DS has committed to MIT!  

Why?  He went to Campus Preview Weekend and loved the kids and the vibe.  He loves Boston and the energy he saw at MIT.  

Major: Math and Physics

Other info:  DS returned home from Campus Preview Weekend on Saturday, and committed to MIT on Sunday.  Monday morning (12 hours later) he received an e-mail from a professor at CMU to let him know that he had received a major scholarship!!! This about gave my dh and me a heart attack as we didn't know about it. How much was it? When had they given it to him?  Why did the prof know and we didn't?  It was not a pretty moment as we had just turned down CMU the prior night.

So the timeline:

4 April: Acceptance by CMU. No scholarship offered.

14 April: I called CMU. All the scholarships had been allocated.

19 April: We receive the letter in the mail. No scholarships.

22 April: DS commits to MIT and tells CMU no.

23 April: Prof emails ds to say CMU has offered ds a major scholarship. We look into his CMU portal to find that it had been awarded on the 18th of April!!!  We had not thought to check the portal before he committed to MIT, and CMU did not email us to say the portal had been updated.  The scholarship was not a full ride, but it was big!

So, that night we had a big think.  If we were going to beg our way back into the scholarship (if we even could), ds was going to have to commit to CMU (which we weren't even sure he could do, given he had committed to MIT). After 3 agonizing hours, we decided not to pursue CMU even though it was not a ton cheaper and a really good option.  DS absolutely loved MIT, and we could choose to afford it (beans and rice for the next 4 years!). It was done. MIT was the one.

But for all those reading this: check the portal up until the last minute.  All we can figure is that ds was second on the list for the scholarship and received it after the first person turned it down.  This possibility never occurred to us.  Now, 5 days later, we are at peace with our decision.  DS is over the moon about MIT and really looking forward to August!

Ruth in NZ

Our kids will be a mile from each other, MIT is just across the Charles River from BoCo! I don't know if you have family in the US, but if there is ever anything you need (or really that your son needs) that I can help with, please let me know. We will probably visit at least three or four times a year to see her perform in concerts and musicals and visit friends in Connecticut, where we lived prior to moving to Chicago. I know we don't know each other, but I have been on these boards for 5+ years and have gotten much wisdom and insight from you over the years. Would love to help in any way I can while your son is so far away from home! We are pretty familiar with Boston, visiting often during the 19 years we lived in CT. My husband also goes there a few times a year for business. 

• Like 8

And we have a decision.

Son, age 17, is graduating from the local community college in about two weeks.  This is the kid who still doesn’t have four years worth of English or social studies credit, but he will have an associates degree.  Given this I am back dating his graduation date to when he passed the CHSPE and hoping for the best.

He got accepted to and will be attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in the fall majoring in Computer Science.  He is happy.  We are happy.  Both my husband and I graduated from there so we are familiar with the school.  Now to get on with the rest of everything.

• Like 20

but if there is ever anything you need (or really that your son needs) that I can help with, please let me know.

This is so sweet!  Thanks so much! Currently, my father has a friend who lives in Boston who has offered to keep an eye out on ds.  But Boston is pretty far away from every other friend or family member that I have in the USA, so I really appreciated you offer.   DS said there was an entire sorority from Boston College at one of the MIT Fraternity parties during Campus Preview Weekend. ?

19 hours ago, lewelma said:

This is so sweet!  Thanks so much! Currently, my father has a friend who lives in Boston who has offered to keep an eye out on ds.  But Boston is pretty far away from every other friend or family member that I have in the USA, so I really appreciated you offer.   DS said there was an entire sorority from Boston College at one of the MIT Fraternity parties during Campus Preview Weekend. ?

My daughter has a friend who is a freshman at BoCo and also one at Tufts and they both said that there are so many schools within a few square miles of each other that they often fraternize at each other's schools on the weekends. My dd does not like to "party" and has no interest in drinking or smoking so I think she's a little worried that she will be the only one in the dorms on a Saturday night, but I find it hard to believe that there won't be others (especially at BoCo) that don't party. I don't think BoCo has sororities or fraternities, but I'm sure there will be no shortage of social events at other schools should the students wish to partake.

I'll PM you my info and if your son ever needs anything, let me know! 

• Like 1

Finally found my way back after the change during which time my ancient computer had decided this site was unfit to load...

My honorary DS19 will be going to Green Mountain College in VT.  Closer to home than Warren Wilson, excited about the soccer coach and team.  FA unknown to me, but his "real" parents have picked up the thread and I have to assume will make it work for him.  He wants to do the Outdoor/Adventure Education track, which will allow him to give forward to kids who can use what helped him.  So happy for him!

• Like 14
  • 2 weeks later...

Where: local CC

Why: Well he was going to take a gap year, but confirmed with his academic advisor that he only has 3 classes to go to get his Associate of Arts so he decided to just keep going. He’s considering finishing off his Music Business and Technology Certificate as well. If he does then he has to take an additional 15 credits for a dual degree. Or he’ll take his gap year and decide what he wants to do after locking in his AA. 

Major: He’ll be a double Class of 2018 and graduate with his AA in the fall. 

• Like 16
  • 2 weeks later...

Where:  IUPUC then probably transferring to IU next year or so

Why: She wants to work and save money this year to help with expenses and we were really too late in the applying game because she had wanted to do a gap year but plans didn't work out.

Major: Linguistics and Eastern European studies. Looking at Estonian and Russian for languages.

• Like 7