Menu

NM

Peaceseeker

Nasal spray easily goes down the back my throat. I’ve never thought anything about it. I would think the warning is for opening it up and drinking it. I wouldn’t panic . You called and measured the medication. Scary though , hugs.

• Like 4

We use a lot of nasal spray here without issue. I honestly don't think I would even register that is was an issue that it runs down the throat since it always does. 

I have had to call Poison Control twice, though. Once because ds drank a bit of nail polish remover and once because the same ds ate one of those packets that says, "Do Not Eat!" that came in a shoe box. Both times Poison Control acted like it was no big deal and just called back a few hours later to make sure he was okay. I was surprised and it probably made me stop calling. 

• Like 3

We use a lot of nasal spray here without issue. I honestly don't think I would even register that is was an issue that it runs down the throat since it always does. 

I have had to call Poison Control twice, though. Once because ds drank a bit of nail polish remover and once because the same ds ate one of those packets that says, "Do Not Eat!" that came in a shoe box. Both times Poison Control acted like it was no big deal and just called back a few hours later to make sure he was okay. I was surprised and it probably made me stop calling. 

I once had a conversation with a set of parents - I think there were like four other moms and a dad there. And I was the only one of the whole lot whose kids had never eaten one of those things and had to call poison control.  :lol:

No, I had to call them after my kids climbed out of their cribs for the first time ever, scaled a shelf and downed half a bottle of Children's Tylenol.

They really are the nicest people. Whatever training they receive on being non-judgmental... everyone in America should receive it. Seriously. Me too.

• Like 11

I once had a conversation with a set of parents - I think there were like four other moms and a dad there. And I was the only one of the whole lot whose kids had never eaten one of those things and had to call poison control.  :lol:

No, I had to call them after my kids climbed out of their cribs for the first time ever, scaled a shelf and downed half a bottle of Children's Tylenol.

They really are the nicest people. Whatever training they receive on being non-judgmental... everyone in America should receive it. Seriously. Me too.

They didn't even giggle as I was freaking out. I was always amazed at how calm and awesome they were. I do agree all of us need that training. 

• Like 5

You definitely had a good run of making that long without poison control. I called twice for ds—-once he’d eaten toothpaste and another time Vaseline. I’ve also called for our pets multiple times—-our cat will eat anything. None have ever needed medical attention for these incidents, and I appreciated how kind and calm the poison control people were.

• Like 1

I didn't know medicated nasal sprays (for congestion) existed. In the past, I've bought a saline spray, and it really helped DS's stuffy nose.  

The one nasal spray I do have experience with is an allergy med, and when I use it, it feels like a ton goes down my throat, but that's mostly because the taste (in the back of the throat) is so strong. Just thinking maybe that's why she thought she had swallowed so much. 

• Like 2

We use medicated nasal spray and the going down the throat thing happens sometimes. Absolutely no big deal.

I'm sorry you were so worried. I definitely wouldn't give up using something that is so effective, now that you know it's not unusual.

I hope you are feeling better about it this morning!

(I've never called poison control. I had no idea it was so common to do so!)

• Like 2

I know it seemed like lots of drama, but you didn't have to go to the hospital and wait for hours, no stomach being pumped, no blood work, no overnight in the hospital. You had a wonderful learning experience with the least amount of "pain" possible. That's life as a parent - sometimes you get an easy pass and get to stay at home, and sometimes you don't.  :grouphug:   Glad you got the "easy pass" this time and hope you don't have to go any further from home in the future.

In a weird twist of irony, I've been the one to visit the hospital the most in the last 6 months; once by ambulance and once being driven by my mil. I feel like a teen-ager. And my dd had the stress of making the call to 911. That was high adventure. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, that's an impressive run of no need for Poison Control. 

I've had to call twice. Once DH and I accidentally double-dosed our 2 year old on Benadryl. :glare:

The other time a 3 year old in my house drank half a bottle of antibacterial hand soap; fortunately it was the foaming pump, so the soap was diluted with water, but still.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 1

I feel like, when I was growing up, there were more public service announcements, and maybe more general awareness about poison control centers.  Seems like a lot of folks now don't know about poision control centers as much as they used to. 

And I wanted to agree and reinforce that these folks are the nicest people, and are the best at handling the emergencies-to-me.

• Like 1

I'm so grateful for Poison Control.  We've needed their advice a few times in the last couple of years.  I used to be reluctant to call, but now it almost seems habitual!

My children's adventures include:

- breaking a mercury thermometer over a bed (wasn't sure it was mercury at the time... but it was!)

- breaking a cfl bulb over another bed and getting cut with a shard

- chewing up an unidentifiable lily off a florist's bouquet

- sucking on a AA battery

• Like 1

I've called Poison Control three times, and am so glad that service is available for peace of mind!

Once my ds dipped his hand into my powdered laundry bleach, thinking it was sugar, and ate some.  It caused his throat to burn and he threw up.  I can't remember what PC told me to do...  They figured whatever damage it would do had already been done and the rest had been thrown up, so I think they just advised that he drink something soothing on his throat.

Another time my dd ate a bunch of toothpaste.  

Another time another dd had climbed up on the counter and gotten into the highest cupboard where I kept my iron tablets and swallowed a few.  (We weren't sure how many.)  For that one we were advised to give her Ipecac immediately, which I had on hand.  

Oh, one another time my ds ate a big blood-filled tick that had fallen off our dog.  He thought it was a grape.  I called our doctor and he just chuckled and said, "Whelp- he got a little extra protein today!"

• Like 1

I called poison control 3x in about 6 months. I was a little worried I was going to be put on some kind of list. 😂

All three were for DS, he was 2-3 years old. Once he sucked on some ibuprofen (they said he would have needed to eat 11 before needing medical care). Another time he sprayed bathroom cleaner in his mouth. And I can’t remember what happened the other time. 😜

• Like 2

I called poison control 3x in about 6 months. I was a little worried I was going to be put on some kind of list. 😂

All three were for DS, he was 2-3 years old. Once he sucked on some ibuprofen (they said he would have needed to eat 11 before needing medical care). Another time he sprayed bathroom cleaner in his mouth. And I can’t remember what happened the other time. 😜

Different stuff, but I had one like this, and felt the same way.  I felt like starting each call with, "I promise I'm a responsible parent, it's just THIS kid..."    She was just SO fast, and did crazy stuff when I was right there.  We were walking around outside, and she just grabbed a bunch of unknown berry things off this plant and swallowed them, fast!  I was there, like 2 steps away!  She's calmer now, at 7, but I still caught her "practicing climbing" with a rope tied to the bunkbed yesterday.  That doesn't sound so bad, but it was, trust me.  

• Like 3