Menu

Navigating grief.

PinkyandtheBrains.

We hired an estate sale company to sort through my parents house and sell off the stuff. I just couldn’t do it. They’ve started posting preview photos online. I don’t want, need, or have room for all the stuff but my heart is breaking.

My relationship with my parents was complicated, but I sure do miss them tonight. My dad has been gone over a year now, my mom a few months gone.

Grief just jumps out at you.

• Like 7

Grief is not linear. It doesn't wane on a gradient. Give yourself room to process the random jabs and waves of emotion.

It sounds cliche, but time can truly soften the raw edges.

I'm sorry for your losses, and how close and real they seem at this moment while the estate business is being handled. Gentle hugs.

• Like 5

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

My Dad died in January.  A few weeks ago, I called his cell phone because I wanted to talk to him.  For a few seconds, I had forgotten that he was gone.  Then when I realized it... that he would never answer.... I just broke down.  I had been doing fine up until then. 

• Like 6

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My Dad died in January. A few weeks ago, I called his cell phone because I wanted to talk to him. For a few seconds, I had forgotten that he was gone. Then when I realized it... that he would never answer.... I just broke down. I had been doing fine up until then.

I’ve done this with the text chat client we used. I used to chat with my dad every single day.

• Like 1

We hired an estate sale company to sort through my parents house and sell off the stuff. I just couldn’t do it. They’ve started posting preview photos online. I don’t want, need, or have room for all the stuff but my heart is breaking.

My relationship with my parents was complicated, but I sure do miss them tonight. My dad has been gone over a year now, my mom a few months gone.

Grief just jumps out at you.

Yes, it does. I found it helpful to cry and acknowledge the pain and the loss. It is a gradual process and your loss is very recent and sounds like both parents with months of each other. I think this is perfectly normal. Unfortunately, it is a painful road. Do you have friends / family with whom you can talk and reminisce or cry?

• Like 1

Yes, it does. I found it helpful to cry and acknowledge the pain and the loss. It is a gradual process and your loss is very recent and sounds like both parents with months of each other. I think this is perfectly normal. Unfortunately, it is a painful road. Do you have friends / family with whom you can talk and reminisce or cry?

Thankfully, yes I do.

• Like 2

Breathe. My Dad passed in 2003 and my Mom this past January. Two months ago today, in fact.

Yours and my grief is new and raw. You don't have to deal with your parents stuff right now. It's okay to wait.

Let yourself grieve. Process what's going on with you. Grief is not only emotional, it is spiritual and physical, as well.

Some days you will be fine. Others you will be ambushed by grief. That's normal. Breathe. {{HUGS}}

ETA: I've been attending a grief group called GriefShare. You may want to look into this for yourself. Or, at the very least, sign up for their daily email at griefshare.org. They'll send you one email a day for ONE year only, and then the emails will stop. Unless you sign up again. Hope that helps.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 1

I am dreading helping my mom this weekend. It has been a year and a half and she is ready to go through and donate my dad's clothes. We also have to go through his work van which is so personal and such a huge part of his life. I know she needs the help and support but it's going to be so hard.

I miss him so much and some times it just hits you like a sucker punch out of nowhere.

• Like 1

Sadly, I could not agree more. I lost both my parents last year. A friend's sent me the book "The Orphaned Adult", which was very helpful. It took me over 6 months to pick it up, but I read it overnight and sent it to my siblings. I highly recommend it. It helped me to see I'm "not crazy" and that grief is a long process and I shouldn't expect myself to be "over it" so soon. ((((Hugs))))

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 2