Menu

Using a cover school for only 9th and 10th. Cons?

We are considering using a cover school for 9th and 10th grades only (possibly Kolbe as they do have a few lesson plans that would be useful to us). Not for college admittance, but to keep high school options open for dd.

We have two options that might become available for 11th grade. If she doesn't end up in either B&M option for 11th-12th, we won't need the cover school because we are in state with easy homeschool laws. If I also keep an identical transcript, can we simply move on without explanation?

Both 11th grade options would be fine with a private school transcript, but probably less so with a mom transcript. We're about 20% sure one or the other will pan out.

Thoughts or BTDT? I want to keep options open, but we don't have a good reason to need a third party diploma. I don't want to adversely impact her college applications, though.

Thanks!

The reasons people tend to use a cover school:

1. want/need an accredited diploma

2. want/need someone else to oversee the transcript and record keeping

Sounds like those are not your needs.

It sounds like your main concern is ease of transition from homeschool to possible brick and mortar school partway through high school.

Since the policy of both the b&m schools you are interested in is to accept homeschool credits and homeschool transcripts without any additional requirements, then it doesn't look like you have any need for a cover school.

The main problem that homeschoolers run into in transferring from homeschool into a b&m high school partway through is that the school's policy is to either not accept homeschool credits (which requires restarting as a 9th grader, even if the student has completed up through 11th grade at home), or the policy is to accept credits, but only when the student takes and passes the school's end-of-year exam for each course.

When a school has that type of policy, homeschooling high school can be an "all or nothing" decision for families at the end of 8th grade.

The major thing I would be concerned about is to double check the high school's policy about acceptance of credits, to know for sure that if you start off homeschooling high school that the b&m school WILL accept those credits so that the student can transfer in to the b&m school at grade level, rather than having to start over, or have to take a lot of tests as proof of credits.

As far as college admissions:

If you homeschool all the way through, virtually all colleges accept home-awarded diplomas and transcripts. Some have a few additional hoops to jump. And some states have special additional homeschooling high school requirements (CA, NY, PA esp. come to mind).

If you both homeschool and attend a b&m school, when applying to college, you sent an official transcript from each. If you do any dual enrollment, you also must send an official transcript from each community college/university where dual enrollment occurred.

BEST of luck in wearing your administrator hat  :hat:  as part of your homeschooling high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I don't think either will accept a homeschool transcript easily. I say easily because it might be do-able if I have SAT, SAT 2 or AP scores for most subjects, but it isn't a sure thing like it would be for a private school transcript.

ETA- one of the schools is private and moving closer to us, the other is a public magnet school that only does 11th and 12th so is open to private school transcripts.

Edited by MamaSprout

I'm a little familiar with what used to be Kolbe's transcript service, although it has been 6+ years since the mom I know used it. They don't have a transcript service anymore, do they? Do you have to do full enrollment in one of their diploma programs now for them to keep high school records for you? Is it still 10th-12th grade (vs. 9th-12th grade)?

Since your agreement (enrollment) is with Kolbe, I don't see any issue in keeping your own version of the transcript for the next couple of years in case your kid decides to go to one of those brick and mortar schools. Your biggest issue might be with Kolbe not accepting some of your credits for homegrown courses (again, not sure how strict their policy is now).  

I don't think colleges would have any issue with you doing your own transcript for all four years regardless of the transcript Kolbe kept for the first two. (What is Kolbe's policy about issuing a partial transcript from those couple of years later on? I don't even know.) 

I should add that I am not familiar with Kolbe being called a "cover school." Those who use their services usually either go the "Full Enrollment" route or just take classes a la carte. 

I don't think either will accept a homeschool transcript easily. I say easily because it might be do-able if I have SAT, SAT 2 or AP scores for most subjects, but it isn't a sure thing like it would be for a private school transcript.

Gently... that is just guesswork. Hard to make a solid decision and know how to prepare without knowing what the school policies are.  :) JMO, but you need to speak to the administration at each of the two high schools and ask them what smooths entry into each of the schools.

Perhaps start by looking over the website for each school and see if they list their policies for students transferring in partway through high school? 

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I'm a little familiar with what used to be Kolbe's transcript service, although it has been 6+ years since the mom I know used it. They don't have a transcript service anymore, do they? Do you have to do full enrollment in one of their diploma programs now for them to keep high school records for you? Is it still 10th-12th grade (vs. 9th-12th grade)?

Since your agreement (enrollment) is with Kolbe, I don't see any issue in keeping your own version of the transcript for the next couple of years in case your kid decides to go to one of those brick and mortar schools. Your biggest issue might be with Kolbe not accepting some of your credits for homegrown courses (again, not sure how strict their policy is now).  

I don't think colleges would have any issue with you doing your own transcript for all four years regardless of the transcript Kolbe kept for the first two. (What is Kolbe's policy about issuing a partial transcript from those couple of years later on? I don't even know.) 

I should add that I am not familiar with Kolbe being called a "cover school." Those who use their services usually either go the "Full Enrollment" route or just take classes a la carte. 

It would be full enrollment for those years. Homegrown courses can be okay, they just need to meet certain criteria and work samples need to be submitted (based on the website), but I have emailed them and it seems to be the case. We use a lot of textbooks here, so I'm not too worried about changing anything we plan to do. They will provide transcripts for so many years (5?) after a student who doesn't graduate leaves the program. We would only need it for that next year if she transfers out.

Gently... that is just guesswork. Hard to make a solid decision and know how to prepare without knowing what the school policies are.   :) JMO, but you need to speak to the administration at each of the two high schools and ask them what smooths entry into each of the schools.

Perhaps start by looking over the website for each school and see if they list their policies for students transferring in partway through high school? 

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Not picking a fight. My writing tends to get to the point, lol.

I've talked to several schools over the last few months, and never get a straight answer. DD is working multiple grades above level so the answer is always, "Let's come in and sit down with the counselor" (which a local friend familiar with the school said is something of a red flag) or "Can we talk on the phone?". Nobody wants to give me any information by email or in any way I can document or give me a straight answer without taking a lot of my (or their) time.

I really just want to know if there would be any repercussions to using Kolbe for 9th and 10th, but not going on if we don't need it.

It's my next step before I start into the more time-consuming options of going into the schools and providing test scores, etc.

Not picking a fight. My writing tends to get to the point, lol.

I've talked to several schools over the last few months, and never get a straight answer. DD is working multiple grades above level so the answer is always, "Let's come in and sit down with the counselor" (which a local friend familiar with the school said is something of a red flag) or "Can we talk on the phone?". Nobody wants to give me any information by email or in any way I can document or give me a straight answer without taking a lot of my (or their) time.

I really just want to know if there would be any repercussions to using Kolbe for 9th and 10th, but not going on if we don't need it.

It's my next step before I start into the more time-consuming options of going into the schools and providing test scores, etc.

I would make an appt and go in. Have they guaranteed that they will accept an accredited correspondence program like Kolbe? I personally would want to meet now, have a record of that appt, and be able to gauge their actual reactions during the conversation.

• Like 4

Check carefully how Kolbe would transcript any home brew classes. They mark the classes that follow their syllabi with a K or an H and put a warning that all other classes are parent issued grades, if I'm recalling correctly from last year when I looked at them. They also require at least 3 years of Theology and unless you take the course from them you can't opt for anything other than a basic diploma.

We ended up going with Memoria Press Online Academy. The downside to them for you is that they require 5 classes taken online with them per year, however they do offer a lot of options and you'll probably find 10 you like. If you are interested, their exam deadline is today. Last year they were somewhat flexible with late applications but don't leave it for June if you're interested.

• Like 1

Check carefully how Kolbe would transcript any home brew classes. They mark the classes that follow their syllabi with a K or an H and put a warning that all other classes are parent issued grades, if I'm recalling correctly from last year when I looked at them. They also require at least 3 years of Theology and unless you take the course from them you can't opt for anything other than a basic diploma.

We ended up going with Memoria Press Online Academy. The downside to them for you is that they require 5 classes taken online with them per year, however they do offer a lot of options and you'll probably find 10 you like. If you are interested, their exam deadline is today. Last year they were somewhat flexible with late applications but don't leave it for June if you're interested.

This is very helpful, thank you.

We've used a lot of MP over the years, but dd would revolt at 5 online classes...

Still pondering, but I think it's going to be homeschool all the way through.

• Like 1

Still pondering, but I think it's going to be homeschool all the way through.

It is crazy that colleges are far more accepting of homeschool transcripts than high schools, but that seems to be the reality.  But, I would ask the question about an online accredited transcript before going that way and finding out that it makes no difference.  For most colleges, it doesn't bc they still review it as a non-traditional student transcript.  So there is irony in all of that if the high school accepts it.  ;)

• Like 1

It is crazy that colleges are far more accepting of homeschool transcripts than high schools, but that seems to be the reality.  But, I would ask the question about an online accredited transcript before going that way and finding out that it makes no difference.  For most colleges, it doesn't bc they still review it as a non-traditional student transcript.  So there is irony in all of that if the high school accepts it.  ;)

So true. Dd has an idea of where she wants to go to college (older siblings get a girl thinking about these things), and homeschool transcripts are fine with all of her choices, although one would like to see some SAT subject tests. High School seems to be more of a bureaucracy than colleges.

She has a very specific idea of what she wants to do the next couple years for English and history, and it isn't what is offered by any of the accredited schools. So it would come down to doing what works for dd now, or doing what "might" work for her later. So I guess we need to go with what works now.

Edited by MamaSprout

DD is working multiple grades above level 

She has a very specific idea of what she wants to do the next couple years for English and history, and it isn't what is offered by any of the accredited schools. 

FWIW, these two comments especially make me think she'd be happier and likely better off homeschooling!

• Like 1