Menu

The Pi/Pie/Pied Teachers Lounge 3-14-2018

scrapbookbuzz

LOL. See what I did there? Happy Pi Day! I might take the kids for pie at Village Inn today as it's "free pie with any purchase" today. I'll get coffee and one of the kids will get free pie, although both will actually have pie. Should be fun!

What are you all up to today? Here: I see many ppl talking about Spring Break. I guess we had that unofficially last week when we really didn't do any schooling other than go to the Renaissance Festival. THAT counted as time management skills, financial skills, history, sociology (people watching and the Joust), life science (the Ancient Art of Falconry),and PE (we walked A LOT). This week, Monday was recovery, yesterday was some academia, followed by life skills (the need for eye exams and passport photos). Today we will also be visiting with friends.

Growing up, did your family have "friends of the family"? Here: while I was growing up, what that usually meant was "because my parents are friends with their parents, those children and I are supposed to be friends". It wasn't always the case. Not that we didn't like each other, but sometimes, at least for me, those friends were just too far removed in age for us to really be friends. However, the friends we're visiting today really are friends of the family. One of the daughters is my dd's BFF. One of the sons is my ds's best friend. And their mom and I are really good friends. THAT I like. 

What have you purchased recently that's really out of the norm for you and maybe out of the norm, in general? Here: you know, each year I send my kids to a summer camp. This year, we'll do that too, AND I'm sending myself to camp, in the spring - end of next month, in fact!   :hurray: 

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 1

Happy Pi Day.

Not up to much today.  The kids are doing school, I'm attempting to get my house in order and my classes planned.  My next session starts next week, which is going to be super super busy with classes, 4-H meeting, Sunday School, my STEM coordinator job and a 4-H Science Day event.  And I'm evidently sick.  I was hoping for just allergies but I'm thinking I have a cold cause it doesn't feel like allergies anymore.  I'm popping vitamins, huge quantities of tea with honey and other liquids, and hoping it goes away fast.

No real "friends of the family" growing up.  My mother was a single working mom and didn't really have much to do with our friends families.

Out of the norm purchases......hmmmmmm......can't think of anything off hand.  We bought a generator last week because we're sick of power outages.  We bought a car a month ago, our last few were leases.    

I'm thinking I'll go to JBs this afternoon and pick up a pie. Or, if I don't make it that far, I'll see if the little grocery in town has one. 

My middle three are at day camp this week and next. D is down with a sinus infection and bronchitis. Luna is destroying everything she can get close to. I'm getting over a stomach bug. We brought germs back from our trip to Cali this weekend. We're generally in survival mode around here. 

No family friends growing up. My parents were really close with my dad's family. 

We are furnishing our house. We will probably not do it again for a lot of years, if ever. 
I'm getting into subscription boxes. I've tried a few already. Maybe today I'll be signing up for groceries, snacks, bath products, tea, and maybe some things for my kids. 

What camp are you going to?

Edited by desertstrawberry5

Happy PI Day! We don't get too much into holidays (even religious holidays are feebly celebrated), but I'm all for PI Day. For the Math, not the pie. I almost never remember in time to get pie in time, and I don't have enough "drive" to get myself to the store to buy pie (let alone make pie) on PI day. We did take advantage of a nearby pizza place's pizza for $3.14 deal, but that was yesterday. Today, because I remembered it was PI day, we read a book about PI (the Sir Cumference one)

Friends of the family... Our family never had any growing up. Like, any. I thought it was super cool of my friends when they mentioned that "so and so" was a family friend of theirs. We do have family friends now, and most of them/the ones we see most frequently have kids the ages of our kids, and our kids get along for the most part. 

Something odd I've purchased... hmm :/ our food processor blade broke (DH ran it over with the car) so I couldn't make laundry detergent like I usually do. Not only did I buy liquid detergent from the grocery store, but I also bought a new food processor blade, without waiting months with it in my amazon cart before purchasing. 

I am officially Pied.  I just finished the leftovers, but in my defense, it was a round sponge cake topped with strawberries and whipped cream, so it wouldn't have been good tomorrow, right?  Too smushy.  

Dd10 really gets it this year, which is awesome.  Ds6 is just happy to have a treat and does not deeply care about the math, which is ok.  

• Like 1

Good afternoon!

We had pumpkin pie here for breakfast and homemade pizza for lunch. There is quiche too, but no one seems too interested in it so far.

DD is doing a Pi day art project. We are on Spring Break, so not much really happening here. I went out to coffee with a friend, did some scout stuff and called my mom. We went to the library. Church tonight.

No real friends of the family growing up, though I have always enjoyed some of my mom's friends. We do have some friends of the family, but they are mostly single adults. Very rarely does it happen that we are all friends with another family. Esp. rare that dh is as good of friends with the dad as I am with the mom. Most of our closest friends are at church. 

We purchased a vehicle recently. We got a 2010 Nissan Rogue with 70K miles on it and sold (someone actually bought it!) a 1998 Toyota Avalon with 227K miles on it. I detest spending money on cars, but we needed to do it. Dh got a good deal, but ouch, the money! Thankful that we could buy it for cash. 

• Like 2

I forgot about Pi day because I didn't see anything about it till after kids were in bed and technically it was yesterday here. Maybe we will make pie today and celebrate late. I have loads of berries in the freezer that could do with booking.

My most recent unusual for me purchase was a comfortable mattress topper. I have been trying to get dd8 to sleep in her bed. She currently sleeps on the floor in her little brothers room but the little mattress she uses is quite thin, old and a bit smelly. I would like to get rid of it. She complained that her bed was uncomfortable and I lay on it and realised it wasn't all that great.

However the mattress topper doesn't seem to have made her start sleeping in there so it seems the problem is emotional still.

Next major purchases here are a laptop (ours is totally defunct now) and eventually a car. It's on the way out and repair costs exceed the cars value. My vacuum cleaner is also dying sadly.

Somehow in spite of a reasonable income we always seem to be running tight when it comes to replacing stuff. I was doing the math and realised the kids basic activities currently come to about $100 week not including extra outings etc.

Today we have chess and TKD and I'd like to complete and hang dds curtains and shop for some for ds. As I don't fancy sewing another set. It's our break week so only catch up academics.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

I always make a pie on Pi Day but haven't gotten any supplies yet.  I need to get to the store!  A few years ago, we had friends over on Pi Day and had all different kids of pie to sample and celebrate.  It was so fun!  Time is getting shorter and shorter though, so we didn't plan anything special this year.  I am not feeling very productive lately and need to get my act together.  I feel like I am drowning in a sea of To Do's.  I think I need to revamp my list system because it is not working very well right now.  I have so many different categories of things to keep track of right now and am feeling a little, no, a lot, scattered.

• Like 1

Yep,the To Do list will always be long so be thankful for what you do get done and let the rest go until later. 

I used a bit of time after we got home this afternoon to play an online game and check in here.

NOW, I will go prep dinner, put it in the oven, and watch a tv show while it's cooking.

Have fun, all!