Menu

National School Walkout Day

If they attend school, are your kids participating? My oldest doesn't have class until 1pm today. 

My zoned high school has allowed the students to walkout of class; just not off campus or they'll be marked tardy or absent. 

NBC has an interactive map that lists all of the participating schools.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/interactive-more-1-000-student-walkouts-scheduled-across-country-n855886

"The organizers have asked anyone not affiliated with a school to stay away from the walkouts, citing safety concerns. Otherwise, folks who want to express solidarity with the students should wear orange or walk out of their workplaces for 17 minutes, EMPOWER says."

• Like 7

I was happily surprised to see my kids' school interviewed yesterday.  Apparently, there are some student leaders there who have planned a lot.  Glad to see the faculty supporting this as well.

• Like 6

My kid's DoDEA school participated. They had an event with speeches not unlike an all-school assembly. Students were supervised at all times and didn't really 'walk out' except to the designated on-campus gathering spot. Class schedules were re-arranged for the event. I'm unbothered by it. My student wasn't particularly informed WRT any of the issues but I expect she learned a bit more as a result of the experience.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

No, my daughter's elementary school will have a moment of silence today in support of peace or something along those lines. Parents are allowed to sign their children out if they wish, but I will not be doing so because my state already has strict gun laws but that has done NOTHING to stop mass shootings. There was just one the other day up at a Veterans' Home by a former client with PTSD. :(

• Like 1

Protests, even from students, aren’t allowed here, and school violence isn’t an issue here. But I wish my son could have walked out in solidarity with students in the US. An expat friend of mine lives in Berlin and her kids’ school had a walkout in support of this.

• Like 9

I'm in MA, our public school (and many public schools) are having the walkout with support of the administration.  Which is great- but - I just want to extend a moment of gratitude for kids doing it districts without support, who will face scorn and be punished. 

• Like 16

I received notice last night that any walk out will be registered as cutting class and teachers will continue teaching. My only child in school has intellectual disabilities. I don't think anyone in his class will participate. 

If my older dc were still in high school and were participating, we'd discuss the consequences on their academic record and I'd support their decision. 

I'm not sure how necessary it is for students in this district to walk out. They did a walk out two days after the Stoneman Douglas shooting with a 17 minute vigil. The district was very supportive of the student walk out that day. I understand not wanting to have walk outs everyother week. 

My problem is I have an IEP meeting at the time of the walkout. UGH. I'm imagining trying to enter a building with a stream of 2500 14-18 year olds coming at me. 

• Like 1

My son's high school not only gave them permission, but also arranged an assembly for after with our state legislatures.

They scheduled the walk out time all as a "break", allowing students to participate or not without judgment, depending on what they personally feel comfortable with. I am so impressed by how they are handling it, and how respectful they are of the voices of these young adults as well as the school's role in allowing participation in democracy.

Unfortunately it's a snow day here. I haven't heard if they'll make up the opportunity another day.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 12

My 7 year old's elementary school is providing a walk out area for students. I'm hoping it is mostly older students participating as I think first grade is too young.

My 14 year old will be in religion class next to the high school at 10:00; most of the students will be there on released time from the school and I believe there are plans to participate in the walkout--I know they discussed it in class last week. She plans to participate.

I'm not on the high school's email list but I imagine they have supportive plans in place as the elementary school does; I expect that is the district guidance.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Yes, our kids’ former high schools are participating in the walkout.

Illinois Math and Science

Northside Prep

New Trier HS

I’ve read that if you want to show support today, to wear something orange.

• Like 3

My dd's hs is participating, but she is on an all-day field trip today. Walking out will be considered an unexcused absence- which I do support. I think that political protest should carry a little bit of risk (because some protests historically have carried immense risk to participants) and teens are quite grown up enough to understand that.

• Like 6

Dd's school is participating.  There have been several notes home about it.  They, too, must remain on campus and must return back to class, or they will be marked absent or tardy.  They did tell parents not to join the walk out and to stay off school property because they will treat this like being in the school building ... they will not be able to enforce the visitor check-in process.  For parents who want to show their support, they recommend going to a separate area just off campus.  I will be leaving in a little while to walk my dog and we will stop at the walk-out (in the recommended parent area.)  

ETA:  I'm not sure I have anything orange to wear.  Not a good color on me.  Perhaps I can find an old U of I t-shirt.  

ETA:  By participating, I mean that the students have organized it and the school is not taking punitive action.  They have created a safety plan to keep unregistered guests from mingling with the students.  

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 2

Not sure what my DD will do. Her school is having the kids who want to walk out assemble in the football stadium. They are changing home room to coincide with the walk out so that the kids won't be disrupting class time and those who don't want to participate will have somewhere to go. I just drove past there and the campus police have 2 cars up by the main entrance. Our stadium is also on the main road.

• Like 2

Every schooled kid we know seems to be participating. We're doing a moment of silence and talking about gun violence. I asked the kids if they wanted to walk out of homeschool and they laughed. I said, you can take the metro down to the Capitol like all your schooled friends do if you want. Nah. We'll just do some silence and head to afternoon co-op. Mmkay. They agreed we might go down on 4/20.

• Like 5

I found out ds' college did have a walkout at 10, but his first class was at 10:50 and he wasn't there. Under normal conditions he would have gone in early but he has friends visiting from Georgia (he's mad that his spring break doesn't coincide with theirs) and was out late last night. He wanted that extra bit of sleep.

I walked over to dd's school to witness the walkout.  About half of the student body (large, suburban high school) stood in a circle in silence, many holding hands.  It was eerily silent.  The only voices I heard were of a few of members of the community standing on the sidewalk who came out in support.  (There may have been more students near other exits of the building.  I just didn't see them.)

• Like 4

I quickly texted with my DD (she's technically not allowed to text at school). She said that she did participate. It was very cold because they did it outside in the stadium. She said there was a moment of silence, they released balloons, and then someone talked. I'll ask her when she gets home who talked and what was said.

I know a few people who participated, and it was a reverent experience.  17 minutes for 17 murdered kids.   Anyone who mocks that --- shame on them.

I'd also support a respectful school walkout for causes that are not my own, like an anti-abortion walkout.  Anyone who would support that, but not this -- shame on them.

• Like 8

My 12yo dd organized the walkout at her school. As far as I know, they are doing it right now. Her principal said they would get detention which scared her, she is a major rule follower, but I'm super proud that she even tried. She emailed the principal on her own and has organized her friends to come over and make posters for the day. Everything she's done has been on her own.

My boys go to different high schools in the same district. They actually have their "nutrition break" at 10:03 so they were going to start a few minutes early to give the kids time. But they aren't allowed to leave campus at all. They can just stand in the plazas of each school.

• Like 8

I’m a bit horrified at the commentary on news posts about the walk outs. Teens are making conscious choices about how to deal with this. I am proud of them.

It's really sad. These kids represent everything wrong with our society apparently, just a bunch of entitled asshats.

The last year or so has made me wish for more understanding between people, but more believing that it will never happen.

• Like 2

Many of the local schools participated.

I’m a bit horrified at the commentary on news posts about the walk outs. Teens are making conscious choices about how to deal with this. I am proud of them.

If I see one more stupid Tide Pod comment....... :glare:

• Like 7

I believe my son's Middle School is unofficially sanctioning the walkout and providing a space for students to congregate. They are also having an extended nutrition period where students will be designing posters and writing letters of support to Parkland students.

I told my son he could participate in the walkout part *if* he had the blessing of his 3rd period Dance teacher. Otherwise, no. 

My assumption is that his teacher will support it.

Bill

• Like 1

Ds and dd participated in the walk out at their high school. Their lovely school actually had students counter protesting as well. The speaker for the counter protest wore a shirt that said God, Guns, & Trump.  :huh: The counter group chanted the whole time to try and drown out speakers and even chanted during the moment of silence for victims. 

Dd filmed some of it and I'm very proud of all the students that it didn't turn violent and ugly. There was a lot of interesting language being tossed around but thankfully that was all. 

• Like 1

Ds and dd participated in the walk out at their high school. Their lovely school actually had students counter protesting as well. The speaker for the counter protest wore a shirt that said God, Guns, & Trump.  :huh: The counter group chanted the whole time to try and drown out speakers and even chanted during the moment of silence for victims. 

Dd filmed some of it and I'm very proud of all the students that it didn't turn violent and ugly. There was a lot of interesting language being tossed around but thankfully that was all. 

That's really unfortunate. DD reported that her classmates were very respectful (not all students participated) and they all observed 17 minutes of silence.

• Like 3

Yes, my oldest participated.  They were on the news.

8th grader's school sent out a letter today saying the 17 minutes turned into a very long discussion by students with very thoughtful responses and participation.  However, most of the 8th grade left at 5am for a trip to DC, so he wasn't actually there.

• Like 1

Students at one of the district high schools apparently BROKE a gate.

Peaceful protest is one thing but destruction of school property is quite another. I hope the administration assesses a per-pupil charge to cover the cost of repair/replacement and only exempts those students at the school who did not participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I think it is fine if there were counter-protesting teens. People disagree and teens are not a monolithic generation, any more than any generation is. Violence is not okay-but frequently disrespect can be in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 9

Peaceful protest is one thing but destruction of school property is quite another. I hope the administration assesses a per-pupil charge to cover the cost of repair/replacement and only exempts those students at the school who did not participate.

Was this the school where the principal locked the gate to keep the kids in?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/14/mt-diablo-high-in-concord-blocks-student-gun-violence-walkout/

Edited by Lawyer&Mom
  • Like 5

Personally, I think it is fine if there were counter-protesting teens. People disagree and teens are not a monolithic generation, any more than any generation is. Violence is not okay-but frequently disrespect can be in the eye of the beholder.

I think chanting counter messages during a moment of silence for deceased individuals certainly qualifies as disrespect but YMMV. Counter protests are fine. That behavior strikes me as Westboro-ish.

• Like 13

Per-pupil charge?  :lol:

• Like 3

Our parish elementary school had an (optional) supervised walkout for the middle school kids, and had the younger kids make cards for Parkland families. The younger kids were only told it was for families missing their loved ones during Lent, so no discussion of school shootings. I thought that was well considered. We are leaning towards sending our eldest there next year, so this was a welcome indication of how they handle sensitive issues.

• Like 1

Was this the school where the principal locked the gate to keep the kids in?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/14/mt-diablo-high-in-concord-blocks-student-gun-violence-walkout/

The particular gate is normally locked during school hours as the surrounding neighborhood is a bit iffy and it is a security measure. There have been gang-related homicides on other district campuses.

I guess students thought administrators would unlock it specifically for today but when that didn’t happen, the correct response is NOT to break the gate.

The particular gate is normally locked during school hours as the surrounding neighborhood is a bit iffy and it is a security measure. There have been gang-related homicides on other district campuses.

I guess students thought administrators would unlock it specifically for today but when that didn’t happen, the correct response is NOT to break the gate.

Was there another way for the students to exit?  Because that would be a little weird if there was no way for them to leave. 

• Like 2

As I assumed, my son's teacher was fully supportive of the protest and only asked that kids sign in prior to joining with basically the entire campus in 17 minutes of solidarity with the Parkland families.

Peaceful.

Bill

• Like 2

The linked article says that the principal explicitly requested that the gate be locked before the walkout, and there is a photo of staff locking the side gate. Photos of the damage show that a single metal bar, on the edge of one side of the gate, was bent when the gate was pushed open. Not exactly wanton destruction.

• Like 8

The linked article says that the principal explicitly requested that the gate be locked before the walkout, and there is a photo of staff locking the side gate. Photos of the damage show that a single metal bar, on the edge of one side of the gate, was bent when the gate was pushed open. Not exactly wanton destruction.

Good for the kids.

Sorry, I wrote my master's thesis on student rights. I can't not feel giddy watching all this on some level.

• Like 11

There is a sign on the gate that it's usually locked during school hours.  But I'm assuming there has to be another exit?  That wouldn't be safe to have the whole campus locked down all the time.  If the school decided keeping it all locked down would keep students from leaving... I find that disturbing, and I'm not surprised there was a revolt against that.  If I worked at a company and several of us were going on strike, but the company locked all the doors... Yeah, you better believe people would be breaking out.  

And yes... I know these are minors.  But you don't just lock minors into places when you are not their parents, especially near adults.

Still hoping that wasn't the case.

• Like 4

Good for the kids.

Sorry, I wrote my master's thesis on student rights. I can't not feel giddy watching all this on some level.

A reporter covering the walkout at an elementary school in Virginia tweeted a photo of an orange pocket folder with the school name written in a child's handwriting across the front and wide-lined notebook paper peeking out of the top. It was a press packet prepared by the 11 year old organizers of the walkout.

These kids give me so much hope for the future.  :001_wub:

• Like 13