Menu

Birkenstocks?

mmasc

Just for fun, which are your favorites? Links if you can!

I’m thinking of getting my first pair soon. Unfortunately, there aren’t really any local places in my town to try them on, which makes it hard to even determine my size and width. I hate to order 10 pairs from Zappos!

ETA: I’m thinking either the Granada soft footbed or the mayari.

Edited by mmasc

The classic Arizona soft foot bed. My dd just got her first pair and I got my third (in my life). We both thought maybe possibly we should get the narrow width--no. Too narrow, even for dd's skinny foot. We're both an 8 in street shoes--both size 38 for our Birks. I tried the 39's too since it feels like my toes are too close to the edge, but the 38 footbed has every bump in the right place so that's what I got. Dd got a chocolate brown color and I got a basic taupe color.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 4

I LOVE my Granadas--so pretty and supportive at the same time. I had a pair for a decade that finally died, and bought the same style in the regular footbed because I really need the arch support, and I've read that the soft footbed is a touch less supportive.

I don't do well with sandals with a toe loop plus other straps. They make my feet ache. The toe thing in flip-flops is fine but when there are multiple straps tugging my foot every which way it hurts.

These are my go-to shoes whenever the weather is warm enough. They're that great.

Amy

• Like 1

The classic Arizona soft foot bed. My dd just got her first pair and I got my third (in my life). We both thought maybe possibly we should get the narrow width--no. Too narrow, even for dd's skinny foot. We're both an 8 in street shoes--both size 38 for our Birks. I tried the 39's too since it feels like my toes are too close to the edge, but the 38 footbed has every bump in the right place so that's what I got. Dd got a chocolate brown color and I got a basic taupe color.

This is helpful! My local store had the Arizona so I tried it. Based on online size charts, I thought I’d need a 38 (I’m a 7-7.5), but I think the 37 fit pretty well. But I didn’t notice if it was narrow or regular at the time. :( It was comfy though! It was the soft footbed and really soft suede (?) on top. The only other style they had was the Granada which wasn’t as comfy, but looked cuter on my foot. :)

• Like 1

I LOVE my Granadas--so pretty and supportive at the same time. I had a pair for a decade that finally died, and bought the same style in the regular footbed because I really need the arch support, and I've read that the soft footbed is a touch less supportive.

I don't do well with sandals with a toe loop plus other straps. They make my feet ache. The toe thing in flip-flops is fine but when there are multiple straps tugging my foot every which way it hurts.

These are my go-to shoes whenever the weather is warm enough. They're that great.

Amy

Thanks! I think the Granada I tried was the soft foot bed. I actually wasn’t able to try one with the regular foot bed at my store. I wish I could just try them all and compare sizes, foot beds, styles, etc! I appreciate your comment about the straps though bc I LOVE flip flops and don’t mind the toe thing, but I can kind of see myself getting annoyed by the several straps of the mayari. My Chaco sandals kind of bug me for that reason when I’ve worn them for awhile.

I only like the Arizonas. I can't stand anything in between my toes.

I tend to like the unusual patterns, and I had a pair of silver ones that I loved.

Have you seen the new styles for spring on their website? You’d probably love them! The Arizonas come in a very unusual, crinkly ? look with really pretty metallic colors.

• Like 1

I’m planning to order some Arizonas. What is the difference between the original and soft footbed?

The soft bed has an extra layer that’s foam (?) I think. They aren’t super-cushy or anything, just a bit less firm. Of course, that’s just my 10 min observation in the shoe store since I’ve never owned any. 😋

• Like 1

You guys are helping me on the sizing. Thanks! At least now maybe I can at least order the correct size, although I’m still not sure about narrow vs regular. 🤔 I might have to try just two styles, but in both widths. At least that will only be 4 pairs to order from Zappos! 😆

I have worn birks exclusively forv10 years.

I have Boston’s for the winter and mayari for summer, with a few more thrown in.

I wear a normal in the equivalent of a 10.but I go up one number for the Boston’s to accommodate socks.

Soft foot bed is fantastic if you can find those. No breakin time.

Papillio and Betula are other brands by Birkenstock. I usually prefer them for style and color choices.

The betula mia is my all time favorite. The toe is a loop and you don’t even notice it between your toes.

I hope you find a pair you love!

• Like 1

Gizeh in silver!!!!  I just bought my second pair but cannot bring myself to throw out the first pair. I LOVE them because they are so comfy but a little blingy looking to dress thing up.  I don't have any plain Birkenstocks- I have a patent black pair, black floral pair, silver pair and bronze/green pair (I have purchased a few very gently used on eBay with great success- so that I could still break them in myself)

I also like Salina and Florida styles. 

I'm usually a size 10.5 or 11, and order the 41 which is a 10.5. 

• Like 1

I love to wear the Mayari in the summer. I can't wear sandals with the strap between my toes, but I can wear these all day long. Inside the house with socks, I wear the Arizona year-round. My normal European size is 40 but in Birks I wear a 39 Narrow. 

• Like 1

I have 3 pairs of Bostons--black suede, brown suede, brown suede with fleece lining--that are over 20 years old. I don't wear them as much as I used to but I refuse to get rid of them. I'm waiting on my first pair of sandals to arrive today--Mayaris in black oiled leather. Arizonas are next on my list. 

• Like 1

I love to wear the Mayari in the summer. I can't wear sandals with the strap between my toes, but I can wear these all day long. Inside the house with socks, I wear the Arizona year-round. My normal European size is 40 but in Birks I wear a 39 Narrow.

What’s your US sandal size?

I have 3 pairs of Bostons--black suede, brown suede, brown suede with fleece lining--that are over 20 years old. I don't wear them as much as I used to but I refuse to get rid of them. I'm waiting on my first pair of sandals to arrive today--Mayaris in black oiled leather. Arizonas are next on my list.

Fun! Report back when they arrive and tell us what you think! Did you use Zappos ?or Birk website?

Side note: do you guys ever see a weird juxtaposition between WTM threads and your life? I do, all the time.

Today it’s that I just saw this thread. DH is, at this moment, in a Birkenstock store in Germany, grabbing some for us while he’s there. We were *just* discussing styles.

I’m a Mayori girl. But I was tempted by the Pisas, having never seen them in my size. I opted for the old standby, based on pics he texted. Now I’ve checked out Sneezyone’s link and am second guessing.

Too weird!

• Like 2

They do last forever. I’ve got pairs that are 20 years old. Mostly I only lose them to puppies chewing because I’ve been careless about leaving them out. Once, I left them someplace hot, car trunk maybe, and the sole came off. They don’t like massive heat.

They are so easy to care for!

I wear a kids size though, so it’s hard to find.

• Like 2

Side note: do you guys ever see a weird juxtaposition between WTM threads and your life? I do, all the time.

Today it’s that I just saw this thread. DH is, at this moment, in a Birkenstock store in Germany, grabbing some for us while he’s there. We were *just* discussing styles.

I’m a Mayori girl. But I was tempted by the Pisas, having never seen them in my size. I opted for the old standby, based on pics he texted. Now I’ve checked out Sneezyone’s link and am second guessing.

Too weird!

That’s cool! What color did you choose? :)

That’s cool! What color did you choose? :)

They don’t have their summer stock in, so limited colors in my tiny size, darn! I got the light brown mayoris. I don’t know the name of the color, I just chose from a text pic he sent. :)

I’m wearing black ones now. So not very original. They had navy blue pisas, but I couldn’t get excited about the color.

I had some really cute turquoise birks two years ago - similar to the gizehs, but the leather was twisted. I don’t know the name of the style, and have only found them that once. Was hoping for something like that, but no luck - wrong season. Grrrrrr.

DH got Arizonas, dark brown. He bought his sister dark brown AZs, too. :) He really got to know the shop owner today, Hahahaha!

They don’t have their summer stock in, so limited colors in my tiny size, darn! I got the light brown mayoris. I don’t know the name of the color, I just chose from a text pic he sent. :)

I’m wearing black ones now. So not very original. They had navy blue pisas, but I couldn’t get excited about the color.

I had some really cute turquoise birks two years ago - similar to the gizehs, but the leather was twisted. I don’t know the name of the style, and have only found them that once. Was hoping for something like that, but no luck - wrong season. Grrrrrr.

DH got Arizonas, dark brown. He bought his sister dark brown AZs, too. :) He really got to know the shop owner today, Hahahaha!

I like light brown...it elongates the leg! 🤣

Are they cheaper if purchased in Germany? Or is it comparable? Just curious...

• Like 1

I wear EU 39 in Birks which corresponds somewhat to size 8 - 8.5.

I've had London Clog, Boston Clog and various sandals (Arizonas and Birkis)  and a Mary Jane pair like these  https://smile.amazon.com/Birkenstock-Womens-Iona-Black-Leather/dp/B00LU2TCY2/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1521053237&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=birkenstock+women+mary+jane

I used to have to walk a lot through a large facility where I worked and chose shoes like many nurses prefer for being on your feet most of the time.

The sandals I wear when not working. 

• Like 1

My first pairs of Birkenstocks were the original footbed, and I had them for years, like 20 years or more, and they never smelled bad.  I had the Arizona and the Boston.  And I wore them a lot.  More recently, I decided to try a pair of the Boston style with the soft footbed, and after a few years, they started to STINK!  Like horrible foot odor, LOL.  For a while, I kept smelling this horrible stinky feet smell, walking around trying to find the source, and I finally figured out it was me!   :lol:

However, it did take about 2-3 years of daily use for them to start to smell.  The weird thing is that I have never had stinky feet in my life.  So, either something about my body chemistry changed (totally plausible as I approach menopause), or the soft footbed just held on to more odors.  I feel like it's probably the latter but I really have so scientific evidence whatsoever for that belief!  And I actually would buy another pair with the soft footbed again, because these shoes are really good for my back.  It is very hard to tell the difference between the original and soft footbeds just from feel.  The soft one is not like some super squishy memory foam.  But I guess there is a difference overall.

Good luck!  I have loved these shoes for years.

• Like 2

My first pairs of Birkenstocks were the original footbed, and I had them for years, like 20 years or more, and they never smelled bad. I had the Arizona and the Boston. And I wore them a lot. More recently, I decided to try a pair of the Boston style with the soft footbed, and after a few years, they started to STINK! Like horrible foot odor, LOL. For a while, I kept smelling this horrible stinky feet smell, walking around trying to find the source, and I finally figured out it was me! :lol:

However, it did take about 2-3 years of daily use for them to start to smell. The weird thing is that I have never had stinky feet in my life. So, either something about my body chemistry changed (totally plausible as I approach menopause), or the soft footbed just held on to more odors. I feel like it's probably the latter but I really have so scientific evidence whatsoever for that belief! And I actually would buy another pair with the soft footbed again, because these shoes are really good for my back. It is very hard to tell the difference between the original and soft footbeds just from feel. The soft one is not like some super squishy memory foam. But I guess there is a difference overall.

Good luck! I have loved these shoes for years.

😂 That’s hilarious! I admit that I have wondered if they will smell. I don’t normally have smelly shoes, but I also don’t normally wear leather/suede type of foot bed.

• Like 1

I placed an order! I ordered the Mayari in the antique lace narrow, and the silver in regular. I’ll see which fits best and hopefully one will work! If not, I’ll return and try some with the soft foot bed I think.

• Like 2

Fun! Report back when they arrive and tell us what you think! Did you use Zappos ?or Birk website?

Sent them back...didn't like the straps...it was a visual thing for me and not a comfort thing. I'm going to try the Gizehs and see if I like them better. I ordered from Zappos. 

• Like 1

Sent them back...didn't like the straps...it was a visual thing for me and not a comfort thing. I'm going to try the Gizehs and see if I like them better. I ordered from Zappos.

Bummer. :( Hopefully the gizehs will work! I love flip flops, but for some reason the gizehs don’t feel good to me. Are you going to try the Arizona still? I ordered from Zappos too. If the mayari don’t work, I’ll most likely go with Arizona or Granada, as I’ve already tried those on in store and know they fit well. I just like the appearance of the Gizeh and Mayari more!