Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
texasmom33

Fellow seasonal allergy sufferers- Achiness from allergies- anything besides Advil to help?

Tree pollen is off the chart here. I'm on three different antihistamines, but those aren't enough to keep my joints from aching (or my nost from still being stuffy). I'm reasonably sure it's allergies and not a brewing cold or anything else. I'm avoiding all of the cross-allergic foods or whatever they're called, drinking lots of water and tea, have my air purifier running full bore, try and avoid being outside when possible (not too possible with small kids and animals). My body just hurts though and you can only take so much Advil. 

Is there anything else I can do to try and get rid of the achy feeling? 

Hm..dunno.  I don't really have that symptom thankfully!

I can't take Advil period. I sometimes take Tylenol, but I know that's not great.

I do have this massager thing that is pretty good when I get achy (from exercise).

• Like 1

tex...it just hit me...I wonder if it is a side effect from the allergy meds.  I had this crazy bout of achiness some time ago.  I didn't know what it was, but around that time I also started taking Xyzal.  Turns out muscle aches ARE a possible side effect.  Eventually that did go away.  I don't know if the other drugs cause that (I didn't look it up), but you did say you were on three different ones (so am I). 

• Like 1

tex...it just hit me...I wonder if it is a side effect from the allergy meds.  I had this crazy bout of achiness some time ago.  I didn't know what it was, but around that time I also started taking Xyzal.  Turns out muscle aches ARE a possible side effect.  Eventually that did go away.  I don't know if the other drugs cause that (I didn't look it up), but you did say you were on three different ones (so am I). 

I didn't even think to look! I've taken Zyrtec every day this week along with Asteline and Nasacort. I'm going to look it up in the PDR. I bet you're right. 

• Like 1

I think you're right. Myalgia is an AE of the Asteline. I guess now I get to pick if I want to be Sneezy or Achey. It's like the lame middle age person's version of the 7 Dwarves. 

• Like 3

I was going to recommend a hot tub, which I just got and loved . . . until I discovered that I am allergic to my hot tub. 

Okay, more likely allergic to the chemicals, but we haven't solved the problem yet and I'm feeling pretty cranky. 

Have you run a spa purge recently, katilac?

We've done a drain-and-fill even though it's new, but we haven't done a "spa purge" product - I didn't know that existed till you posted and I looked it up. 

Is that what you mean? I would certainly try it. Do you recommend a certain kind? 

I was going to recommend a hot tub, which I just got and loved . . . until I discovered that I am allergic to my hot tub. 

Okay, more likely allergic to the chemicals, but we haven't solved the problem yet and I'm feeling pretty cranky. 

Well that sucks. I'd be cranky too!! 

I'm stopping the Asteline and going to see how I survive without it, but I'm going to up the Nasacort to twice a day I think. My car which I just washed two days ago is coated with pollen so thick you can barely tell it's black underneath. I'd say we need rain to come and wash all of the tree pollen out of the air, but then it will just make the mold grow. At least I'm better off than my poor cat who had to go to the vet today to get some concoction put in her ears because her allergies are so bad she was miserable- and she's an indoor cat! 

I told dh we need to seriously consider moving to Phoenix if this keeps up. 

• Like 1

oh well that's sucky...geesh

Oh man, that's no good!  So sorry to hear about your aches.  My allergies are horrendous right now too.  I also take asteline (along with many other things).  The stuff is really effective but it does seem to have more side effects than the other meds.  I was originally put on 4 sprays a day and my head started hurting so bad it was debilitating.  I seriously couldn't do anything my head hurt so bad.  All that to say, I got off of it and my headaches went away.  Over the last two months I have started back on it but...  I am taking a reduced dose (the amount they prescribed to my child) and I have not had any of those side effects.  I take just 1 spray in each nostril and right before bed.  So far, no side effects and I do have allergy relief. I can't blame you for wanting to throw it in the trash but maybe just reducing the dose will help or taking it before bed instead of in the middle of the day. I have found that I have to do some creative scheduling and rotating to get everything to work well and keep me functioning at the same time. 

I usually take Zyrtec but once heavy seasons hits, I stop that and take Claritin.  Not that I like it better it just seems that rotating them around helps a lot.  Another thing about Asteline is that you really have to bend your head way down when inserting the spray... more so than with the other sprays.  Then hold it there for a few seconds after you have sprayed it in.  My allergist emphasized this so strongly.  

Morning:

5mg Claritin

2 sprays Nasacort

Throughout the day:  Xclear (saline spray that is EXCELLENT, you can find it on Amazon)

Evening:

5mg Claritin

2 sprays Nasacort

Before bed:

1 spray Asteline

Of course you have probably already tried all this.  Allergies are so miserable!  We are all so different and it is frustrating trying to find just the thing that helps.  Hope you feel better soon!!

Edited by Callista
  • Like 1

Oh man, that's no good! So sorry to hear about your aches. My allergies are horrendous right now too. I also take asteline (along with many other things). The stuff is really effective but it does seem to have more side effects than the other meds. I was originally put on 4 sprays a day and my head started hurting so bad it was debilitating. I seriously couldn't do anything my head hurt so bad. All that to say, I got off of it and my headaches went away. Over the last two months I have started back on it but... I am taking a reduced dose (the amount they prescribed to my child) and I have not had any of those side effects. I take just 1 spray in each nostril and right before bed. So far, no side effects and I do have allergy relief. I can't blame you for wanting to throw it in the trash but maybe just reducing the dose will help or taking it before bed instead of in the middle of the day. I have found that I have to do some creative scheduling to get everything to work well and keep me functioning at the same time. Unless of course you have already done that. Allergies are so miserable! Hope you feel better soon!!

She had me taking 4 sprays too. This is the longest I’ve ever taken it without a break so I’m wondering if that’s why it was bothering me and hasn’t before. I skipped last nights and this mornings dose, so will see how I do today. Reducing the dosage is a good idea if I need to go back on it though. I’ll try just at night if that’s the case.

• Like 1

We use SeaKlear. There can sometimes be gunk in the pipes from manufacture or from it just sitting there. It’s a known issue that can cause rashes.

We are running a bromine system. I have sensitive skin, but haven’t had any issues with our tub.

• Like 1