Menu

What's with the ads?

Who went? What/who was good to see? :) 

I talked myself out of going because of CC and other things, but now I might be talking myself back into going this weekend. The workshop schedule is PACKED!

I didn't go, but really, really want to go to another one!  I told myself I wouldn't want to go again because of CC, travel, etc.  But I SO enjoyed the year I went, and saw SWB and Tim Hawkins, etc.  Now I want to!!!

It was really good. I drove up early Friday morning and took a class at every class period until 4:00 and bought several CDs for classes I wanted to hear but were doubled up at workshop times. Spent most of Saturday in the Exhibit Hall with only 1 class taken.

I took a variety of classes: parenting, schooling over the ages, science, math, homeschool tips, morning time, etc. For me this is just better than a retreat. To attend classes and hear speakers that I want to hear. To be encouraged and to laugh and to hear interesting things and to get advice. There are 3 homeschool conventions in my hometown but I choose to drive to Greenville because GHC is the best imho - but that's probably because it's got the vendors I want to visit and the people I want to meet and say hello to. I really enjoy interacting with the folks behind the small companies and whose blogs I read.

My kids are young - 6 and 8 - and both are hands-on learners and one is into art and one is engineering - so it's a toy store for me to visit Miller Pads and Nature's Workshop and get them some educational treats.

And best of all is holding curriculum in my hand and leafing through the pages. I can choose very quickly that way and make less mistakes. Online I can see samples and read reviews but it limits my ability to make a decision and I've chosen stuff that flopped. But when I hold it in my hands and see it in person, the flops are far fewer.

• Like 2

I'm going this weekend!

Have you picked out any must-see talks yet? I keep looking and it's overwhelming which surprised me because I've been to several conferences. I feel like they added even more this year with them running so late, or maybe I just didn't notice before? 

Have you picked out any must-see talks yet? I keep looking and it's overwhelming which surprised me because I've been to several conferences. I feel like they added even more this year with them running so late, or maybe I just didn't notice before? 

Christopher Perrin's Learning From Rest

The Classical Education Panel

Martin Cothran's What is logic and how do you teach it?

Sarah Mackenzie's The Read Aloud Family

I'm only going for Friday evening and Saturday. And, I have to leave time to shop!  Any you've marked?

• Like 2

Christopher Perrin's Learning From Rest

The Classical Education Panel

Martin Cothran's What is logic and how do you teach it?

Sarah Mackenzie's The Read Aloud Family

I'm only going for Friday evening and Saturday. And, I have to leave time to shop! Any you've marked?

I’ve never seen Adam Andrews in person so was thinking of trying to see one of his and then check out Pam Barnhill. I’ll try and go to as many Andrew Kern talks as possible. :) I liked Ed Zaccaro last year so might try one of those too. There are so many people I haven’t heard of it’s nuts. I figured I knew a lot of the speakers by now but nope. If we can’t swing to go I’m going to get my friend to buy me all the talks while she’s there. Heck I’ll probably buy them all even if I go. Then it takes the pressure off. :)

I live an hour from Greenville, and I go every year (this was my 8th time). At this point in my homeschooling journey, I go mainly for inspiration and the honing of my philosophy, and not so much for how-to kinds of talks (that will probably change once I get to high school level). Over the years I have discovered who my "people" are, and I try to listen to them as much as I can - that would be the classical crowd: Kern, Perrin, Cothran, Pudewa. Since I can't ever afford to attend the Circe Institute annual conference, this is my chance to hear all these guys in person at a fraction of the cost.

This was the first year that I didn't really need much from the exhibit hall experience. Usually there's a bunch of stuff I want to see in person, and talk to people about, and make choices about, and buy...but this year all I did was to order the next level of math with a discount, and talk to a few vendors about their products that I'm already using.

Of course everyone has different wants and needs for the seminars, but I'll share my experience, in case it's helpful:

Andrew Pudewa is a blast - enthusiastic and funny and engaging. This was my first time hearing him in person and he did not disappoint. I went to all four of his talks (three of them on writing and communication) and they were very helpful. His talk on Lessons Learned from Three Decades of Teaching was fantastic and I highly recommend it.

Andrew Kern is my favorite speaker. He focuses on the philosophy of Christian classical education, rather than a particular methodology, which not everyone appreciates, and I totally get that (my friends are shocked that I like him, because I'm so practically minded!). But even though I'm someone who actually likes being told exactly how to do something, I love listening to Kern because he inspires me like no one else does. He's pretty abstract, so I soak in everything he has to say and then ruminate on it for a long time afterwards, and his ideas have shaped my homeschooling methods more and more over the years. But he's simply not going to give steps to follow, ever (unless you can talk to him in person at his booth, which I highly recommend if you want personalized advice - he is so kind and gracious and wise). This year he was out sick for his first talk, on Faith and Thinking, but since he lives within easy driving distance he was able to get there for the other two talks. He had apparently been very sick and was struggling a bit with laryngitis and was lacking in energy, so I didn't enjoy him as much as usual, but I'm glad he was there and I was thankful to get to hear him at all. He was especially good during the classical panel discussion, but since that's based on audience questions it's always a crap shoot in terms of what they end up talking about.

Chris Perrin is also a favorite. He is not as philosophical as Kern, and he does get into the practical applications of things - though he won't be too prescriptive - more like presenting ideas and possibilities. His talk on Loving the Lovely was marvelous, as was Learning from Rest. If you have older kids, he gave a great talk on Socratic discussion.

I wanted to hear Martin Cothran on Latin, but that talk wasn't on the schedule in Greenville (HE didn't even know why when I asked him). Fortunately, I was able to talk to him for quite a while at the Memoria booth, and he answered all my questions and gave me exactly the input I needed. I did go to his talk on Logic and it was excellent, but that was more for future reference since my kids aren't at that point yet.

I enjoy Adam Andrews, too, and I recommend him if his topic is of interest, but since he was scheduled at the same time as other talks I had chosen, I didn't get to hear him this year.

I will say that a friend who has been homeschooling for 10 years came to the convention for the first time, and she was disappointed in the lack of variety in general, and the lack of specifically educational topics for junior high and high school. Unlike me, she was looking for practical advice on various topics, and the talks geared for that age group seemed to be more heavily weighted on a Christian worldview rather than educational methods. I didn't scrutinize the schedule for that stuff, so I don't know what to think about it - others might have a totally different opinion. I was happy with what I found to attend, but my scope is more limited, of course.

Well, that was long!! I hope it helps someone! DH came with me the first couple of years and he said that just being there is a huge shot in the arm, in terms of inspiration and encouragement.

• Like 4

I’ll try and go to as many Andrew Kern talks as possible. :)

I saw this after I posted. You'll understand my utter disappointment (and that's putting it mildly) when I sat expectantly in the room on Thursday evening for his first talk and someone else walked in to announce that Andrew was too sick to be there!!!!  :svengo:  I was afraid he'd miss the whole convention, and my friend laughed at my excitement to see him walk into the room the next day. DH asked me if I got him to sign my t-shirt... :tongue_smilie:

Edited by blondchen
  • Like 3

I live an hour from Greenville, and I go every year (this was my 8th time). At this point in my homeschooling journey, I go mainly for inspiration and the honing of my philosophy, and not so much for how-to kinds of talks (that will probably change once I get to high school level). Over the years I have discovered who my "people" are, and I try to listen to them as much as I can - that would be the classical crowd: Kern, Perrin, Cothran, Pudewa. Since I can't ever afford to attend the Circe Institute annual conference, this is my chance to hear all these guys in person at a fraction of the cost.

This was the first year that I didn't really need much from the exhibit hall experience. Usually there's a bunch of stuff I want to see in person, and talk to people about, and make choices about, and buy...but this year all I did was to order the next level of math with a discount, and talk to a few vendors about their products that I'm already using.

Of course everyone has different wants and needs for the seminars, but I'll share my experience, in case it's helpful:

Andrew Pudewa is a blast - enthusiastic and funny and engaging. This was my first time hearing him in person and he did not disappoint. I went to all four of his talks (three of them on writing and communication) and they were very helpful. His talk on Lessons Learned from Three Decades of Teaching was fantastic and I highly recommend it.

Andrew Kern is my favorite speaker. He focuses on the philosophy of Christian classical education, rather than a particular methodology, which not everyone appreciates, and I totally get that (my friends are shocked that I like him, because I'm so practically minded!). But even though I'm someone who actually likes being told exactly how to do something, I love listening to Kern because he inspires me like no one else does. He's pretty abstract, so I soak in everything he has to say and then ruminate on it for a long time afterwards, and his ideas have shaped my homeschooling methods more and more over the years. But he's simply not going to give steps to follow, ever (unless you can talk to him in person at his booth, which I highly recommend if you want personalized advice - he is so kind and gracious and wise). This year he was out sick for his first talk, on Faith and Thinking, but since he lives within easy driving distance he was able to get there for the other two talks. He had apparently been very sick and was struggling a bit with laryngitis and was lacking in energy, so I didn't enjoy him as much as usual, but I'm glad he was there and I was thankful to get to hear him at all. He was especially good during the classical panel discussion, but since that's based on audience questions it's always a crap shoot in terms of what they end up talking about.

Chris Perrin is also a favorite. He is not as philosophical as Kern, and he does get into the practical applications of things - though he won't be too prescriptive - more like presenting ideas and possibilities. His talk on Loving the Lovely was marvelous, as was Learning from Rest. If you have older kids, he gave a great talk on Socratic discussion.

I wanted to hear Martin Cothran on Latin, but that talk wasn't on the schedule in Greenville (HE didn't even know why when I asked him). Fortunately, I was able to talk to him for quite a while at the Memoria booth, and he answered all my questions and gave me exactly the input I needed. I did go to his talk on Logic and it was excellent, but that was more for future reference since my kids aren't at that point yet.

I enjoy Adam Andrews, too, and I recommend him if his topic is of interest, but since he was scheduled at the same time as other talks I had chosen, I didn't get to hear him this year.

I will say that a friend who has been homeschooling for 10 years came to the convention for the first time, and she was disappointed in the lack of variety in general, and the lack of specifically educational topics for junior high and high school. Unlike me, she was looking for practical advice on various topics, and the talks geared for that age group seemed to be more heavily weighted on a Christian worldview rather than educational methods. I didn't scrutinize the schedule for that stuff, so I don't know what to think about it - others might have a totally different opinion. I was happy with what I found to attend, but my scope is more limited, of course.

Well, that was long!! I hope it helps someone! DH came with me the first couple of years and he said that just being there is a huge shot in the arm, in terms of inspiration and encouragement.

I loved your post! I think we like a lot of the same speakers. :) 

I'm glad to hear too that the (new?)  Pudewa talk was good. I was trying to remember if I had it, but I don't think I do. My laptop broke last weekend and I had to replace it, so I couldn't pull up the older talks I own. I'll try and make sure to see him. Sometimes I go even to the talks I've heard before if there's nothing competing. 

• Like 1

I saw this after I posted. You'll understand my utter disappointment (and that's putting it mildly) when I sat expectantly in the room on Thursday evening for his first talk and someone else walked in to announce that Andrew was too sick to be there!!!!  :svengo:  I was afraid he'd miss the whole convention, and my friend laughed at my excitement to see him walk into the room the next day. DH asked me if I got him to sign my t-shirt... :tongue_smilie:

:lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

I always enjoy Adam Andrews and Andrew Kern.

But i have to say - Christopher Perrin's talk entitled Loving the Lovely was incredible!!!

• Like 2

Oh! Is Carol Barnier still speaking? She's a hoot!

If she is, she isn't on the schedule that I can find. 

Going to the one in Cincinnati in a few weeks. This is my sixth year and my preferences have definitely changed as has the conference itself. I have taken babies but this year I'll be on my own and I'm excited to have the focus to really listen. We used IEW for the first time this year so I'm planning to hear Pudewa. Also highlighted many of the same as above including Perrin, Kern and Peterson. I really like panels so I'm going to try to hit a couple of those and maybe Sarah Mackenzie. I enjoyed Teaching from Rest but her blog is a little commercial for my taste.  Also Colleen Kessler. I'm always hoping there will be at least someone talking about gifted education so I'm glad to see her name on the list even though my kids aren't really twice-exceptional.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear too that the (new?)  Pudewa talk was good. 

Yes, Lessons Learned is a new talk. He said so at the beginning. :)

• Like 1

I asked this over on the Chat board and didn't get much information - anyone familiar with NCLL? The GHC registration page indicates that the registration fee includes a year-long membership in NCLL, and I'm trying to get a read on what NCLL is all about. 

The GHC registration https://www.greathomeschoolconventions.com/register/

NCLL's homeschool page http://homeschool.ncll.org/ 

Did the IEW booth have a discount?

I worked in the IEW booth there again this year. We actually didn't take any orders in the booth. This year they are giving customers a post card with a special code and website on it. If you order within 30 days of attending the conference, you receive free shipping. If you are purchasing over $50 including tax, you will receive the free convention item linked below. So many customers were grateful for time to consider their purchase, go home and give the placement tests for spelling and grammar, etc. 

http://iew.com/schools/shop/products/however-imperfectly-dvdbook-combo

• Like 3

I asked this over on the Chat board and didn't get much information - anyone familiar with NCLL? The GHC registration page indicates that the registration fee includes a year-long membership in NCLL, and I'm trying to get a read on what NCLL is all about. 

The GHC registration https://www.greathomeschoolconventions.com/register/

NCLL's homeschool page http://homeschool.ncll.org/ 

I'm not, sorry. 

• Like 1

I just realized Cynthia Tobias isn't there this year. She was awesome last year! :( 

Can anyone tell me anything about these speakers: Kathy Koch, Laurie Detweiler,  and Jennifer Cabrera?

I'm finding four talks per session I want to see. Choices, choices. Sometimes I like to try someone new, but it's always a gamble!! 

Can anyone tell me anything about these speakers: Kathy Koch, Laurie Detweiler,  and Jennifer Cabrera?

I'm finding four talks per session I want to see. Choices, choices. Sometimes I like to try someone new, but it's always a gamble!! 

Kathy Koch has a lot about parenting, friendships, and the emotional health/development of kids. The first time she was at convention in Cincinnati, they were having to turn people away due to fire laws and room size. Everyone I know who has heard her loves her.

http://celebratekids.com/

• Like 1

Anyone here? Anyone go to the classical panel tonight?

I’m here but we did not go to the panel. We went to Del Frisco’s instead because my brain hit the saturation point. I’m going to try and go to the one today instead.