Menu

Sister was diagnosed with Celiac AND a soy and rice allergy...

1GirlTwinBoys

My sister, who is 65, was just diagnosed a couple weeks ago with Celiac.  She also had allergy testing done and is allergic to soy and rice.  This makes eating anything but meat, veggies and fruit extremely difficult because all the gluten free food is made with rice, and well soy is in EVERYTHING.

Any ideas for bread?  Anything you can suggest would be great.

I'm not sure it is possible to make yeasted breads without any of those ingredients, but flatbreads can be made without them and are not much of a hassle. You make some dough, keep it in the fridge, and pull off whatever you need to cook right then. From my (admittedly limited) experiments, they have to be done in a dry pan.

Breads from Anna mixes (look online)

Quinoa based mixes

Cauliflower for pizza

With the popularity of the paleo diet, as long as she doesn’t have nut issues she really has a lot of options. May I suggest that she take a probiotic and really rotate her foods so that she doesn’t develop a corn or almond or other sensitivity? When you have to lean more on certain foods if you have autoimmune dysfunction you can get really messed up.

• Like 2

Any real paleo recipe would work. And if she tolerates dairy (many celiacs have trouble with dairy) then she could add that too.

The chemical structures of gluten, soy protein, and casein (dairy protein) are all very similar so I would encourage someone with celiac and a soy allergy to give up dairy at least until the gut has healed.

• Like 5

Honestly, substitutes are yuck compared to real bread. It's just easier to give up bread. Eventually she won't even miss it.

I'm gluten intolerant and avoid soy by choice. I do have some nut flour recipes for pasta and "English Muffin", the pasta is great - tastes like wheat pasta, but the muffin one is super dense and not really a substitute for airy yeasty english muffins at all and especially not if one is a recent wheat-free convert.

I've survived without sandwiches or bread for 5ish years now. It's my normal.

• Like 2

Arepas could work in place of bread in many cases.  Different, but good.  https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/venezuelan-style-arepas-recipe.html  

For a pasta replacement, shirataki noodles (aka miracle noodles) might work.  There is a bit of a learning curve to working with them .... they smell bad until rinsed/heated, and have a slippery texture, but they are ZERO calories and many people like them. https://miraclenoodle.com/collections/all/products/angel-hair-pasta

That's a tough combination of allergies : (

I dealt with something similar for quite a while with one child. 

I think it would be easier, healthier, tastier, and cheaper to just forget the bread. Use other sides for starches at meals--quinoa, potato, sweet potato, corn, teff, millet, buckwheat, etc, depending on the meal. 

I would encourage her to try to rotate foods as much as she can so she doesn't sensitize to something else. For example, avoid corn day in and out. 

It will be an adjustment at first, but she'll find foods that work for her. 

• Like 3

Brazilian tapioca bread is delicious!

You can purchase mixes from Chebe.They're certified gluten free, and the basic mix I'm looking at says it's also soy, rice, corn, potato, yeast, egg, dairy, and sugar free (though some optional recipe variations add cheese or sugar). Super good, too!

Brazi Bites (mentioned above) are the same thing pre-made into snack size pieces and are found in the freezer section.

Or if you want to make it from scratch, you can find all sorts of recipes online.

• Like 2

Breads from Anna mixes (look online)

Quinoa based mixes

Cauliflower for pizza

With the popularity of the paleo diet, as long as she doesn’t have nut issues she really has a lot of options. May I suggest that she take a probiotic and really rotate her foods so that she doesn’t develop a corn or almond or other sensitivity? When you have to lean more on certain foods if you have autoimmune dysfunction you can get really messed up.

What do you mean by this??  Rotating foods?

I don't have issues with all of those things, just some of them, and I use fewer bread products as a result. As others have said though, there are other grains and flours made from nuts, etc. and most companies that sell them will have some recipes. Some people have their own custom flour blends they make for themselves.

corn

potato

coconut

almond

tapioca

sorghum

arrowroot

buckwheat

teff

quinoa

millet

buckwheat...probably more

(and if she tolerates it, GF oats)

I don't think that all GF stuff is bad, but it takes getting used to. My kids and DH will often eat stuff I won't touch, lol, and they aren't GF. But, I didn't like much of any of the replacement products until I'd been GF for quite a while.

My sister, who is 65, was just diagnosed a couple weeks ago with Celiac.  She also had allergy testing done and is allergic to soy and rice.  This makes eating anything but meat, veggies and fruit extremely difficult because all the gluten free food is made with rice, and well soy is in EVERYTHING.

Any ideas for bread?  Anything you can suggest would be great.

The word "gluten" literally comes from the word for "glue" in Latin. It's very, very hard to make a bready bread without using some other kind of connector at the protein level. 

That said, I have used almond flour (pure, gluten free) for scones using coconut oil for someone with Celiac + milk allergies in an improvised scone recipe and it wasn't bad.

Corn tortillas are also a good choice, as is cornbread. 

Being allergic to rice is the pits, but there are many Russian recipes for buckwheat that can be substituted for rice in a good 90% of recipes. You can also buy 100% buckwheat soba noodles.

Good luck to your sister. Losing gluten and rice in one go sounds so hard!

My husband has those restrictions.   It's hard.  To save a whole lot of money and angst and disappointments, my advice, is, go simple.

Potatoes & sweet potato offer that carb-y, starch pleasure.

When you want a sandwich bun, use lettuce leaf. 

There are decent commercial gluten free  breads and pizza doughs, but they are rice -based IMO (from experimenting, been  GF since 2002.)

• Like 4

Check out Ketogenic recipes. They won't have fruit, but they also won't have anything with gluten, rice, or soy. Whole 30 and Paleo recipes would also be good, I think. 

Some great recipe sites:

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com 

https://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/ 

https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/ 

I've been keto for some time now. There is no end to the amazing things I can eat. It may take a while for your sister to adjust, but once she does she may not miss the foods she can't have at all.

• Like 2

Well, it's a tough transition, but feeling better makes it worthwhile.

DD and I mostly eat meat, vegetables, and fruit because of allergies and intolerances, and we've learned to appreciate the textures and flavors. I can't have a lot of yeast or mold, so we eat primarily cornbread and oat bread with baking powder. She can't have milk, so we use vegan margarine. Both of us are significantly better with a restricted diet.

Friends of ours who host big holiday get-togethers have a lot of family with food challenges, so we went there for Thanksgiving and Christmas and did great. It can be done.

• Like 1

I was getting allergic to more foods until I went on a strict rotation diet, for example, I tried to not eat the same foods daily at first on a semi rotation diet, but I thought lettuce was not that allergic and had it often, turns out it is fairly allergenic and I am now allergic to lettuce. The rotation diet needs to be a least 4 different types of foods on 4 different days, then you repeat day 1 and start again. I did not stop becoming allergic to things until I went on a strict rotation diet.

day 1: potatoes, quail, squash, olive oil, melons (squash and melons are in same food family)

Day 2: pork, sweet potato, mango, palm oil

day 3: chicken, rice, bananas, coconut oil

Day 4: turkey, corn, corn oil, avocados

Day 5: wheat, tomatoes, sheep cheese, dates or figs

For bread type options, she can use corn tortillas or make a flatbread from teff flour, it is a nice flour. If she lives anywhere with an Ethiopian population, they make a nice sourdough flatbread from teff flour, but you have to make sure they do not mix regular flour with it. An authentic Ethiopian place usually will not, but people trying to replicate it might, and wheat flour is cheaper than teff flour.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

All Whole 30 recipes would work for her. My recommendation for people recently diagnosed is always to start with simple foods and do NOT try to recreate your previous diet. It’s overwhelming, expensive, and depressing to even try. Instead make a list of meats, a list of fruits/veggies, a list of acceptable grains, and a list of safe sauces. Then mix and match from those lists. Once she gets a few weeks under her belt then expand to looking for “fun†compliant recipes.

I was diagnosed celiac in 1998. There was wheat in everything (like chicken broth and soy sauce) and nothing was labeled with a GF symbol. I cried and cried about “losing†wheat.

Things are much easier now, and it is also much easier to find recipes and network with others in the same situation. And the good news is that your sister should begin to feel SO MUCH BETTER.

I can’t eat gluten, oats, soy, dairy, and I can only eat eggs occasionally. I follow a whole 30/paleo/Keto type diet and there are plenty of recipes I can use without any modifications.

Feel free to have her pm me if she wants to talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I highly recommend she follow a Paleo method of eating, which literally consists of meat, veggies (which does not include soy or any other legume), fruit, nuts, and seeds.

Personally, I can comisserate with your sister on all the food issues. I am no longer able to process wheat or corn appropriately, and those things are in everything processed as well. She really can make the switch and will feel so much better for having done so!

Elizabeth, were you able to re-introduce any foods after starting your rotation diet?

Yes, a few that are low allergenic after a year or two of not eating them. I also go yearly to LaCross Allergy in Wisconsin, they have allergy food drops that have enabled me to tolerate things I am mildly allergic to such as onions, garlic, squash, and a few more. My food was very boring when I couldn’t have garlic or onions.

I can also now have a bit of soy once every few months, the only restaurant food I can eat, Orange chicken from Panda Express, no other Chinese place has worked for me.