Menu

if your son has long hair...

athomeontheprairie

Ds6 would like long hair. Shoulder length. This is the second time he’s tried to grow it out… but it’s almost in his eyes. What I think is going to happen is once it is in his eyes, he’s going to want to cut it. When my girls were little and growing out hair we just clipped it back with a barette and called it good. Seems wrong to do that to a boy. How do you keep the hair out of their face until it’s long enough to stay out of the way on its own?

Ds just dealt with it until it was long enough to stay out of the way on its own.  Ds has super, super fine hair and it can't grow past his shoulders. It starts to look a bit scrappy, so we found a haircut that lets him feel like it is a bit long, but still on the professional side of long. (He is a pastor) He gets it cut like Dr Rush on SGU and it looks really good on him. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

See this is part of the problem with my kid.  He has very thick hair.  His hair looks nothing like this and won't behave like this.

He is funny because he constantly complained about it, but then when I suggested he cut it he'd be upset.  So finally he just broke down and had it cut. 

He tried to talk me into a haircut that was mullet like.  I said no.  That's where I draw the line.  No mullets.  :laugh:

Ds just dealt with it until it was long enough to stay out of the way on its own.  Ds has super, super fine hair and it can't grow past his shoulders. It starts to look a bit scrappy, so we found a haircut that lets him feel like it is a bit long, but still on the professional side of long. (He is a pastor) He gets it cut like Rush on SGU and it looks really good on him. 

Edited by Ethel Mertz
Picture of celebrities not allowed.
  • Like 2

DS here has long hair. Once in a while he will cut it short and grow it out again.

I’ve never noticed it being an issue, the hair in the eyes thing. Maybe because DS’s hair is curly? He has kind of a Josh Groban thing going.

If your DS has curly hair, we have found that some product thrown in every morning helps. We use use whatever my hairstylist says to use - anything for curly hair.

ds grew his out when he was about 7?  He had hair pins and barrettes & hair gel until it got long enough to tuck behind the ear.  

Gel on its own can be enough if you go for heavy duty stuff. It's only a few months. He's had long hair ever since - turning 20 next month :) 

The two boys (3&4) we know with long hair both use barrettes or regular hair ties. Ds’s hair is just starting to get a bit long and likes scrunchies or barettes. But he’s 2, that’s what we have in the house, and nobody cares :p

Find a manly mousse or gel he can use to give the front hair some body and oompf at its base, and have him push it back and up away from his face as he blow dries it. Should help some as he waits for it to grow long enough to do in a pony. My Brony has long hair, it lives loose and free until he goes to work, then a black ponytail holder low on his head is deemed acceptable.

Edited by JFSinIL

I remember the phase you are talking about.  My son was 4 when his hair was at that awkward length.  We used barrettes and little pony tail holders.   The little pony tails worked best when we needed it to stay in long term.  The barrettes looked better, but needed to be fixed from time to time.  If you are going to have a boy with long hair, you can't really worry about what people think.  And people are right the awkward phase is just a few months.

The problem we have is that if any hair goes in his face, he nibbles it.  So most of his hair is in a nice ponytail or braid, but he has wispy bits in the front that are all mouth length.  I clip them up along his head, but they are constantly falling out and getting nibbled.  Hopefully you won't have that problem.

My oldest has always had long hair from about 12yo on. His Hispanic heritage gives him those most glorious lush shiny wavy tresses (so jealous!) When he was young he had his bought with break outs so he used it as a shield (which of course made it worse). He did the tuck behind the ear thing for a while and then the Justin Bieber bang sweep. Finally he settled on hair bands to pull it back. He even went through his man bun stage a year or two back.

One of my boys went through a bandana phase, but I usually just tie their hair back when they can't stop pushing it out of their eyes. It looks silly, but they don't mind at home. Outside the house, they either let their hair fall in their eyes, or wear a cap/beanie. For sports, we have a gazillion headbands.  

• Like 1

DS1 (13) has his hair down to his shoulders, a little longer in the back. It looks like a longer version of what Tap linked to with Rush from SGU, the front part now brushes his shoulders. While it was growing out from a DanTDM-esque sideswept cut, he just ignored it in his face for those transition months. It bugged the crap out of me but didn't seem to bother him.

So all of you with sons with long hair, what do you do for hair cuts/trims? Last time I tried to do it myself (huge mistake) he ended up with a bob that would have looked adorable on his sister, he was mortified. He needs a trim now but I don't know what to say to the stylist, I don't want it to turn into a mullet or a bob but the ends definitely need trimming. 

So all of you with sons with long hair, what do you do for hair cuts/trims? Last time I tried to do it myself (huge mistake) he ended up with a bob that would have looked adorable on his sister, he was mortified. He needs a trim now but I don't know what to say to the stylist, I don't want it to turn into a mullet or a bob but the ends definitely need trimming. 

I cut it about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time, and the other times I have a professional cut it. Seems to work well enough. Maybe my kids have easy hair, or I have no standards.  :laugh: For the hairdresser, I just tell them to cut it more or less like it is, but to layer it a bit. 

Oh, I did check out a book from the library once and watch some videos on YouTube in order to teach myself how to cut their hair. I think it did help some?

ETA: the library book was from the 80s or something, and I don't remember the title... I doubt it's the best book anyway. 

Edited by luuknam

Three of mine have had long hair off and on. All three are growing it out again now. 

One has thin, straight hair and will probably keep bangs shorter in the front. He is gelling the bangs to the side. We use Gorilla Snot. It really sticky and flexible, made for children. If he wants to grow out the front, he will continue gelling it like this as long as he needs. He generally wears it in a long bowl/surfer style.

Next one has medium thick, straight hair. His is shaved on the sides, long on top. We use the same gel and style it either to the side or straight back. 

The third has thin, curly hair. It has gone pretty flat on top and we can't get it to curl much. We had it cut short, but we are growing to let it all grow, just trimming the bangs. It should grow into a curly surfer style.