Menu

What happened to my face?

Shelly in IL

Do you use any sunscreen on a daily basis? I use a zinc oxide sunscreen. Protects from UVB and UVA.

I noticed that my skin actually seemed to de-age a little when I started wearing sunscreen religiously. Maybe you already do this.

• Like 1

Any stress? I aged a LOT this fall when my brother was sick and died. I have frowny lines now... 

I do remember a few years ago, when I was about 38 (ok, QUITE a few years ago hahhaha harumph....), looking at my face in a mirror close up and being very shocked at the wrinkles and so forth. It's like I'd just

been too busy to look so intently at myself! 

It happens. OH well. 

PS I have some strong retinol and serum stuff, but it isn't doing my skin a bit of good--makes it flake and too dry, and is just too strong for me. 

:bigear: for a good, gentle, natural moisturizer recommendation....

• Like 1

Any stress? I aged a LOT this fall when my brother was sick and died. I have frowny lines now...

I do remember a few years ago, when I was about 38 (ok, QUITE a few years ago hahhaha harumph....), looking at my face in a mirror close up and being very shocked at the wrinkles and so forth. It's like I'd just

been too busy to look so intently at myself!

It happens. OH well.

PS I have some strong retinol and serum stuff, but it isn't doing my skin a bit of good--makes it flake and too dry, and is just too strong for me.

:bigear: for a good, gentle, natural moisturizer recommendation....

Chris in VA—I just saw my derm last week and told him that my skin just wasn’t liking the Retin A. He asked if I was moisturizing BEFORE applying it. I was not. :( He said to wash with a gentle cleanser, apply moisturizer, THEN apply the Retin. It has worked like a charm! And I have dry, sensitive skin so this has been so very helpful for me. He recommended CeraVe hydrating cleanser (which I already use) and CeraVe cream in the tub. I use the CeraVe PM but switching to the CeraVe Cream has been a total game changer for me.

OP, if your skin is dry, try this cream. It’s awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001V9SXXU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1520811808&sr=8-3&keywords=cerave+moisturizing+cream&dpPl=1&dpID=51E7zvQyN-L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MSSDEPK/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1520811808&sr=8-17-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=cerave+moisturizing+cream&psc=1

• Like 1

Possible contributors: Hypothyroid, hormonal changes (low estrogen and or high cortisol), anemia, insomnia, stress, too much sugar in diet, not enough exercise.

Oh, almost forgot one of the biggest winter culprits: Low humidity! Low humidity dries out the skin and brings out fine lines and wrinkles. Unless you live in the southern hemisphere, put a pot of water on the stove and let it simmer all day. I've put water in the crock pot, leave it uncovered, and leave it on all day.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1