Menu

Rutland, VT area?

Kanin

I just submitted a couple job applications in Vermont (yay! excited and scared). There are many special education teaching jobs available there, so I may have a chance at getting one of them. One area that has a high need is Rutland, VT. I don't know much about the area, but I get the sense that Rutland is a bit rougher than some other places.

Allowing myself to daydream about Vermont, are there any "nicer" towns that are within driving distance of Rutland? I guess maybe I'm a millennial (hope not though :)), but I'd like a coffee shop and a natural foods store. My husband is a skiier which is why Rutland could be appealing.

I've also applied to schools in other towns, but I know more about them than I do about Rutland. 

It depends on what you define as driving distance and whether you care about the public school district you live in.  If you are willing to drive about 30 minutes you can get into the small towns that feed into the Addison County Public Schools which are generally better than OVUHS.  If you don't care about the public schools Brandon has a "cute" New England downtown area.

• Like 1

Rutland is definitely not one of the nicest areas of VT, but there are a bunch of nearby towns that would fit the bill. Middlebury is about 45 minutes away and would definitely fit the "cute, VT town" you're looking for. Killington isn't far away either and there's skiing right there.

I know nothing about Rutland, I’d never heard of the town other than seeing this thread title. Then today I was listening to “Wait, Wait, don’t tell†and one of the callers happened to be from there. I thought it was an odd coincidence.

• Like 1

If you want to come to the other side of the lake, the north country area of NY is desperate for special ed teachers right now.

Said the sped teacher who wanted to go back to work part time this this year but wound up with a full caseload.

We have coffee, a SUNY, skiing, and the lake:)

My roommate in college grew up in Ludlow.  Rutland is the big city for Ludlow...haha.   The area where she grew up has really improved in the past 30 years.  Ludlow itself had a nice ski area.  Her parents ran a B&B.

I think you could do Middlebury, but I have no idea how the drive would be in the winter.  

If you want to come to the other side of the lake, the north country area of NY is desperate for special ed teachers right now.

Said the sped teacher who wanted to go back to work part time this this year but wound up with a full caseload.

We have coffee, a SUNY, skiing, and the lake:)

Sounds good to me! I don't mind small towns - in fact, love them! -  as long as there's coffee and wifi :-)

Sounds good to me! I don't mind small towns - in fact, love them! - as long as there's coffee and wifi :-)

Oh, we do have a natural foods co op and a lot of CSAs.

It’s also much cheaper on this side of the lake than the Vt side. But not a lot of rentals available.

What does your dh do? Is he looking for a job too?

Do you want to teach preschool special ed? Already certified? You could have a job like, tomorrow.

Edited by Hilltopmom

Ha, I'm not already certified although I have my M.Ed. I've been in a private school so far, and I haven't needed the certification. My DH is a math guy. I'm sure he can find something, possibly online. He's a big fan of the Adirondacks :-)

• Like 1