Menu

XPost: Early College/DE Transcript Question

DS1 took high school Spanish 1, Biology, etc this year (8th grade), and this summer (which will be counted for 9th grade) he is attending a JHU-CTY Comp Sci Intensive Study.

This coming fall DS1 will likely take a couple classes at a nearby local college.

First question: if DS1takes Spanish 1 as one of his first Early College classes at a local College, would (or how would) you include his high school Spanish on his transcript? He would have Spanish 1 as a high school class and again as one of his first college classes. We anticipate having him take Span 1, 2, and 3 as well as other classes (Comp. Sci.) in the coming year or so. Would you include both the HS Spanish 1 and the college Spanish 1 on a transcript?

Second question, how have folks listed the CTY Intensive study classes? Would it be an extracurricular residential camp or credit as a class? He has many camps and teams that make up a lot of programming and robotics time.

Thanks in advanceðŸ‘

My son took Spanish with a private tutor for several years before high school and during 9th and 10th grade, but he only exempted the first level of college Spanish when he switched to DE (which ended up meaning at least 2 semesters of really easy Spanish that's all review for him; either the placement test is not so accurate or he should have reviewed verb tenses more before he took it...but I digress). My plan is to still give him credit for Spanish 1 and 2 in 9th/10th grade on his transcript, since he definitely did the work. Not sure if that really helps, since I'm not giving him HS credit for any Spanish he did in middle school. In his case, he's planning to take a total of 4 semesters of DE Spanish, so he'll have way more than either the graduation requirements or the 4 credits more selective colleges like to see, so I'm not too worried about how I'm counting the beginning of high school Spanish. 

Does the college where he's doing DE not offer a placement test for Spanish?

As we travel this road of DS1 and DS2 being AL’s and now homeschoolers, we have learned so much from all of you on these boards. Thanks everyone.

We like the idea of showing both classes (high school and early college) and using the college course tile (e.g., SPA101: Spanish I). We may add a notes column to our transcript and include where the courses were taken (college name).

The CTY summer study was so great and offered so much beyond the course work (which was intensive) it seems a shame to only list it as a class credit on the transcript, which is our current thought.

Thanks again everyoneðŸ‘