Menu

Prospective job came back asking for my "educational background"--UPDATE in #36

ThisIsTheDay

I applied for an executive administrative job through someone I know only via emails through a professional organization we both belong to. I'd asked her a few questions about the job before applying. At her suggestion, I sent my resume directly to her along with a somewhat casual email to her instead of an actual cover letter. My resume lists only the length of time I was at the jobs (i.e., 3 years) instead of actual dates. That is intentional on my part. While I didn't address that with her, I did include a blurb that I'd been out of the workforce for a period of time as I'd homeschooled both of my kids through high school, and I told her that my most current two jobs were post-homeschooling.

Within hours, she replied that her boss is asking for my "educational background." I don't have one. Of course there's nothing on my resume indicating that I do. I am in my 50s and have held many similar type jobs, but I've never been asked this question!

How do you suggest I respond?

At this point, my thought is to say that I don't, but that I have been informally educated through ___________, listing some of my job experiences that are vaguely interesting and can be tied into their business. (My resume listed only certain admin jobs.)

It occurred to me that they might think I have a formal education because I homeschooled. So maybe they are asking because of that?

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Edited by ThisIsTheDay2

What do you mean you don't have an educational background? Did you drop out of high school and never attended college? Were you homeschooled yourself and didn't attend college? If the former, I'd probably respond that while you didn't attend college, you did x, y, and z to gain job-related skills. If the latter, respond that you graduated from homeschool and did x, y, and z to learn job-related skills. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

I graduated from high school. But that literally was eons ago, and it would be irrelevant at this point in my career anyway. They see 15+ years of jobs on my resume, plus I'm assuming my acquaintance shared with them that my kids were homeschooled through high school (which would add another 10+ years post high school).

Unless this were my first or second job out of high school, I would never include that on my resume. It's either a given in my field, or it's irrelevant.

I have the impression they are asking about college. I don't want to just say, Nope, I don't have anything. I want to look worth interviewing!

I graduated from high school. But that literally was eons ago, and it would be irrelevant at this point in my career anyway. They see 15+ years of jobs on my resume, plus I'm assuming my acquaintance shared with them that my kids were homeschooled through high school (which would add another 10+ years post high school).

Unless this were my first or second job out of high school, I would never include that on my resume. It's either a given in my field, or it's irrelevant.

I have the impression they are asking about college. I don't want to just say, Nope, I don't have anything. I want to look worth interviewing!

No, they want your formal Ed history. Name your high school and year of graduation.

• Like 12

Just say you graduated from high school, and did x, y, z to gain job-related skills. It's fine to say you graduated from high school and learned job-related skills on the job if that's all you can plug in for x, y, z. I mean, you can't really do more, but evading the question too much isn't going to look good. They need someone who can do the job, so you tell them how you can do the job for them and do it well. 

• Like 8

I agree with everyone else. Just state when you graduated high school. It really isn't that much more irrelevant than college (which would presumably also have been a long time ago). I would maybe add in any online classes/extension/workshops/professional training etc., especially if there is anything that is related to the job you are applying for.

• Like 2

I would say something like:

Central High School   My City, My State  1980 or whenever

High school diploma  (list any honors if applicable or a high GPA if applicable)

On-the-job training coupled with self-directed learning in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, HTML, Outlook, etc.

For homeschooling, I would consider something along the lines of

Homeschool teacher 2001-20016 

Homeschooled X students from X grade through high school graduation.  Involved curriculum design and evaluation, individual teaching (earlier grades in math, language arts, science, and social studies, or whatever), and educational mentoring in the later grades. Organization and record keeping to comply both with individual needs, state requirements, and future career/college requirements.   Both students went on to XYZ college or XYZ trade or whatever.   If you taught logic or Latin or anything that might intrigue an employer as not-typically found at the local h.s., I'd include that too.

I have an M.B.A.  I know quite well that there are plenty of people out there with high school diplomas who are as smart or smarter than me.  Do not be ashamed of being an autodidact.  Some of our greatest minds were just that!

• Like 17

I agree with everyone else. Just state when you graduated high school. It really isn't that much more irrelevant than college (which would presumably also have been a long time ago). I would maybe add in any online classes/extension/workshops/professional training etc., especially if there is anything that is related to the job you are applying for.

Yes, my resume includes my highest level of "formal" education and also lists UC Extension courses, courses I took through a private job assistance agency, courses I took through the training arm of a company I used to work for.  I didn't list each course, the organizations through which I took them.  

For ex:

Various work-related continuing education programs, **** (CORPORATE TRAINING CENTER), UC SANTA CRUZ EXTENSION, **** HUMAN SERVICES CAREER TRAINING.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone else, put down your high school information.  If you've done any training at any of your jobs, I'd list that too.   Every company I've worked for has offered some form of training for employees.  When computers were upgraded (and I started back in the days of Word Perfect for DOS) they'd do training on the new software, a few of them had other training classes available.  I've taken things like Medical Terminology, Management Training for Administrative Support Personnel, Time Management.   I've also done CEU credits because they were relevant to specific projects I worked on.  I do also have a degree but I didn't until I was in my late 30's so I had a lot of positions before that.

Unfortunately I do also agree with a PP that Executive Assistant positions often require a bachelor's degree these days.   One way around this may be to try and find something that is temp to perm.  

Where I live, many jobs require that you pass certain tests to be an administrative assistant (WPM, Excel, Microsoft, Outlook - or other similar programs). Is it possible in your reply to say that although you don’t have formal postsecondary education, your related work experience has sufficiently equipped you. You could take a proficiency test (as listed above) as part of your interview to show you are more than equipped to handle the daily duties. Just a thought. And my 2 cents, formal education can often be substituted with experience. I would focus on your strengths, even if they aren’t attached to a degree.

• Like 1

What a pp said. Try a temp agency. Thats how i got my executive assistant job, well years ago. I don't know about today but it may still be an option to get experience and get a foot in the door. Good luck and know you are not alone in this.

• Like 1

Oh I get it, but if you have no college you have no college. I'd just say you graduated from high school. If you wanted to add in some education related info to try and sway them, I say you have nothing to lose in doing so.

^^^ITA. Just list high school graduation. If you’ve had any additional training(ie Office, etc), list that. Add an additional sentence or two re-emphasizing your skills and qualifications for the job.

Edited by HSmomof2
  • Like 1

I got MS Office certification from an adult ed course. I tested in MS O. I also took QuickBooks courses but didn't take the certification tests.

This helped me to land a part-time job after not working for 10 years. 

A staffing agency interview helped me to see that they were interested in me and that even as a receptionist it would have been a start. I was assured that most employers they work with then want to promote the receptionist. 

You can do it!

I ended up getting a job without the staffing agency. 

• Like 1

So, my BIL got downsized before Christmas & his company paid for a professional job hunting person to work with him on updating his resume & looking for new jobs. BIL told DH the job hunting dude working with him very specifically told him to take off the YEAR of graduation and only show the last 10 or so years of work. (BIL didn't do this as his most recent job was pretty short & the job before that was his first out of college.) The job hunting guy said that at BIL's age (pushing 50), companies do age discriminate based off resumes with dates clearly showing older workers by not even giving them an interview.

I don't know how true it is, but maybe tell them you graduated from high school, but not the date. Although, I'll say that if you have to fill out a paper job application, they'll ask for the date of your high school graduation, I bet.

• Like 2

My husband has a bachelor's and two Master's, but still lost out at the chance of a couple jobs when job searching because of the lack of a high school diploma.

Sometimes, companies can not figure out how to get beyond checking the boxes.

In your case, they have not told you they don't want you because of no college. They just want to know.

Asked such a question, I'd say "Associates Degree" since the highest degree I have is a Associates of (Arts? I think)

• Like 1

I applied for an executive administrative job through someone I know only via emails through a professional organization we both belong to. I'd asked her a few questions about the job before applying. At her suggestion, I sent my resume directly to her along with a somewhat casual email to her instead of an actual cover letter. My resume lists only the length of time I was at the jobs (i.e., 3 years) instead of actual dates. That is intentional on my part. While I didn't address that with her, I did include a blurb that I'd been out of the workforce for a period of time as I'd homeschooled both of my kids through high school, and I told her that my most current two jobs were post-homeschooling.

Within hours, she replied that her boss is asking for my "educational background." I don't have one. Of course there's nothing on my resume indicating that I do. I am in my 50s and have held many similar type jobs, but I've never been asked this question!

How do you suggest I respond?

At this point, my thought is to say that I don't, but that I have been informally educated through ___________, listing some of my job experiences that are vaguely interesting and can be tied into their business. (My resume listed only certain admin jobs.)

It occurred to me that they might think I have a formal education because I homeschooled. So maybe they are asking because of that?

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

There is a very good chance that they simply need to put an "X" in a box  - whether it's High School, College, etc. 

So, if it were me, I would be replying with one sentence.  "Sweet Apple Highschool, 1999.  Please let me know if  you need any additional information.  Thank you"

Your skills, you experiences and any certificates you received should have been on your resume. 

People have attention spans of a fly - they won't want to read all your accomplishments again.  Just answer the question that you were asked.  That's another skill that many people don't have and it might set you apart.

• Like 2

On my resume I stopped putting my dates of employment and high school graduation year. Listing the length of time at a job worked for me on the resume but then I did have to list dates when called in for an interview. 

It might help to have any copies of certificates as well, but don't include it unless asked.

• Like 1

I'd mention that while I did grad high school, rather than attend college I learned on the job, and go more into skills/accomplishments from the last couple jobs pertinent to the job you want now.

This is what I did. Simply saying that I graduated high school 30 years ago does not give me any advantage. It is a small company, and unfortunately because I heard about it though an employee's post, I did not see a job description, and there isn't one online. I basically said while I do not have a formal post-high school education, following graduation I landed a job here and here with these pertinent details. (These weren't on my resume, because they were so long ago in a different field, but they look impressive on their own). I later moved into my current profession, taking a break to homeschool, where I was solely responsible for blahblahblah aspects of my children's education, etc. I ended by saying that my professional background, combined with my life experience, would make me a valuable contributor to their team.

I would never temp to perm. I am professionally employed full time already in the field, and such a change would put me at huge disadvantage, personally, financially, and professionally. For my location, I make a decent salary, and my employer has a known good reputation; however for various reasons, this prospective job would be a significant pay increase, and those opportunities are few and far between!

My resume is succinct and includes all relevant information. Between my age and the break I took to homeschool, I also don't include dates, just lengths of time. Fortunately, I look several years younger too.

I am confident they were asking for something more than if I just graduated from high school. And if I want to present myself in the best light, I don't want to leave them with, yes, graduated high school, nothing further. I would have felt better though if I'd known the context and exactly why and/or what they were looking for. Now I can wait and see what happens. At least I know I gave it my best shot, and if it doesn't work out, I already have a very good job.

:)

• Like 5

Amusing coincidence--I just found out that the person who'd originally posted the job information to our small email group (a local professional organization) worked for my two bosses 12 years ago in the same position I currently have. She left them for her present position. LOL.

• Like 2

Some employers seem to think high school graduation, even if it is eons ago, is relevant.  I have a cousin who is a nurse practitioner with a Ph.D. in nursing, along with a number of other advanced degrees, certifications, and work history.  She is in her mid 50's.  She was asked to produce her high school diploma for a recent job application.  Luckily her mother was a some-what organized pack rat.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am confident they were asking for something more than if I just graduated from high school.

I'm wondering if it was a veiled attempt at ascertaining your age.  I'm glad to see the update that you got an interview.

I'm wondering if it was a veiled attempt at ascertaining your age.  I'm glad to see the update that you got an interview.

In this situation, I don't think so. It was obvious from my resume that I am at the very least over 40, and the supplemental information I provided would come close to nailing how old I am.  The employee who shared the job with me is in her late 50s or so, plus it's easy enough for anyone to google my name and city find my age.