Menu

What's with the ads?

cintinative

Making Vocabulary from Classical Roots more independent

How do you use VCR A or above? 

We just started using this a few weeks ago (Book A) and I want to modify our routine so it will be more independent. I am looking for input.

This is basically what we do.

• We read through the words for the chapter, the definitions, and the related words in the text boxes. We look up definitions for the words in the text boxes we don't know.
  • We do the Key Word Activity for that section from the teacher book (He does this independently) and I check answers. Then, we do some of the activities in the teacher book: true/false statements, point to the word when I read a descriptive phrase, etc. 
  • He reviews the words using quizlet.
  • He does the Activities in the Student book for that section except any sentence writing which we do orally (we do enough writing here that I just can't justify more).

The trouble is, it feels like I am too involved in this. I was hoping when we finished spelling with him that this would be almost fully independent. I feel like I might be missing something??

Note: I believe in the WTM her plan was to spend 30-40 minutes the first day with the teacher and then have the student do independent shorter review sessions the other days. I really don't have this time built into his schedule.We can manage 15 minutes/day but not the long session she is talking about. 

Edited by cintinative

At the beginning of the year I tell them to read through each lesson, look up any challenge words they don't know, and do 1 lesson/week. Then I hand them the workbook and check it once a week when they're done. :)

This is starting in 8th grade after they've done Wordy Wise the same way for a couple years.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

DS does his mostly independently and he’s in gr4. Day 1, he reads the words and lesson w/me. Day 2/3 he makes flash cards with the derivative words. Day 4/5 he does ex a/b in the workbook. Day 6, we review the words together. Day 7/8 he does ex. c and the activity sheet from the teacher’s guide. Day 9, he writes independent sentences using the words, and day 10 he tests. We haven’t needed to do all of the TM activities and he typically aces his Vocab tests. Vocab takes, maaaaybe 15 min/day.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

DS does his mostly independently and he’s in gr4. Day 1, he reads the words and lesson w/me. Day 2/3 he makes flash cards with the derivative words. Day 4/5 he does ex a/b in the workbook. Day 6, we review the words together. Day 7/8 he does ex. c and the activity sheet from the teacher’s guide. Day 9, he writes independent sentences using the words, and day 10 he tests. We haven’t needed to do all of the TM activities and he typically aces his Vocab tests. Vocab takes, maaaaybe 15 min/day.

Thank you for taking the time to type that out!

• Like 1

My son did book 6 mostly independently; then we got to book A!  Ai Yi Yi!  It was a huge jump in difficulty. 

I'm actually giving it up for now.  We are going to focus on the vocabulary we learn in Latin instead.

My son did book 6 mostly independently; then we got to book A!  Ai Yi Yi!  It was a huge jump in difficulty. 

I'm actually giving it up for now.  We are going to focus on the vocabulary we learn in Latin instead.

You think so? It's basically the same format with a few extra words. I did start making DD focus more on the parts of speech for each word/definition when she was using book A. DS is pretty good at figuring that out from context but DD needed to explicitly pay attention to how the words were being used in exemplar sentences to make the right choices for each exercise. The lessons are deceptively brief though which is why we spread them over two weeks.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1