Menu

Grammar for WTM Lesson 80 Questions

• 2 weeks later...

We just did it today. I'm curious about your questions because we noticed some things in the key that I couldn't explain. Your questions are probably not stupid at all- I've had several throughout the program- I think my 5th grader is diving deeper into diagramming than I ever did, lol. 

• Like 1

Questions:

The first question is regarding  noun clause that is circled--"that the thing which he had done, whatever it was, was done for the sake of clothing and nourishing seven little children."

The key indicates that this: "that the thing which he had done" is an adjective clause that modifies a word within the phrase itself, namely, the word "thing"  I don't understand this.  Is this correct?  Or should it be two separate phrases 'that the thing" and "which he had done"?  That makes a lot more sense to me. 

Also in the section starting with "have been better,"  this adverb clause:  "have been better to wait until he could get it through compassion or through work."  I have the same question. They have "through compassion" as modifying "until" but that is within the larger adverb clause. I don't understand how the clause could modify a word within itself.  Shouldn't this modify the word "wait"?  

Response from WTM Press:

I have the answer to your first question.
"that the thing" wasn't supposed to have a small circle around it.

The two small circles were supposed to be around "which he had done" and "whatever it was"...both of those are adjective clauses describing "thing."

In your second question: that clause is supposed to modify the word "wait" and was corrected in the reprint we just sent to the printer. I'll be posting that on our corrections page.

Justin

____

FYI I also noted the typos in section 80B where there are periods in the middle of the sentence and words missing.