Menu

UC Scout courses

Has anyone used these? What was your experience like? Are the courses complete? Would it be appropriate for a student to work independently with me in the role of mentor/helper? I'm looking specifically at Spanish 1 but might consider others. For $19/each it's not a bad deal at all.

UC Scout

I was interested in these too, but I thought I read somewhere that the $19 deal doesn't save or grade quizzes, or any online work. I would like more info.

We have used them through my DS' B&M charter school. 

1) There is a teacher lead option which costs about $250 per semester for AP courses. It has some automatic grading.

2) The Basic option is $19 but not sure if they would sell that directly to home schoolers.  If you live in CA you could get it through those charter type programs (not sure of the name).

For Basic there needs to be both a teacher and student account (each $19 I believe). The teacher account gets access to the material (including answers I believe).  The student account did not seem to have much because the B&M teacher has to provide the PDFs for readings and assignments. I print out the assignments then DS takes a picture using his phone and sends to the B&M teacher for checking.

If you are in one of those special CA charters for home-schoolers this may worth pursuing - the Basic may also be good for a co-op type class.

Thanks MarkT.  In California, independent homeschoolers are legally private schools, so I don't anticipate a problem should we go that route.  I'm just having a really hard time picturing what's IN each course, kwim?  Do you know if they have course syllabi hidden somewhere?  Or samples?

the AP courses have good descriptions and do follow what's there (my son took this one)

https://www.ucscout.org/courses/ap-physics-1

Looks like the regular courses have weak descriptions.

There are a few samples on Youtube.

• 1 month later...

My son took a premium course, AP US Government,  through UC Scout last year. It was a solid course with a great teacher. He was happy with the whole set-up. It is definitely a get-it-done type of class but for my son it was a good experience. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, calbear said:

MarkT,

What did your son think of the course? I saw this review from a few years ago by Suki Wessling who teaches for Athena's Academy.

http://blog.sukiwessling.com/2013/06/uc-scout-curriculum-a-new-option-for-homeschoolers/

We put a review here:

Second Semester is better since they found a Physics teacher.

Not going to be a Derek Owens course but CA folks should look into these.

That Suki review is quite old now.

• 5 years later...

My daughter is currently taking English 12 over the summer. It is her last high school requirement and this will allow her to complete HS one year early. Th e course content is good. Sadly, she is having a very frustrating and discouraging experience. She has been accused multiple times of cheating with AI! She is absolutely not cheating, and getting discouraged. I am upset and hoping someone from UC Scout will respond to me personally. Th ey even accused her of using an invalid ID to identify herself at the start of the midterm. That is outrageous. This is a kid who gets mostly straight A’s and works really hard in school. Also, as to commments above, the self-guided courses are $399 EACH if you need a grade on a transcript. So, it’s not cheap and she will have very limited access to any live person. Unless this problem gets resolved, I would not recommend using this platform.