Menu

Accessories for cardboard play

I have a dd that is turning out to be quite the tinkerer. She loves to make toys out of cardboard, rubber bands, springs, etc. She collects bits of "treasure" (trash) constantly. I'm thinking of getting her some more pieces she can use for her creations. She already has access to Amazon boxes and toilet paper rolls. What would you suggest goes well with this kind of play?

My ideas are things like duct tape, wooden dowels, etc. She's only almost 6yo, so nothing too dangerous.

I would recommend getting her some things from Makedo (also available from Amazon)! They're a "cardboard construction system" - basically a set of specialty plastic screws for use holding cardboard together, as well as a plastic saw and specialty screw driver. Excellent accessory for making cardboard creations. 

Also, you might like at Steve Caney's Ultimate Building Book. It's all about this same kind of tinkering, and has lots of project ideas using various building "systems" (like toilet paper tubes, or pvc pipe, or rolled up newspaper). 

• Like 1

I would recommend getting her some things from Makedo (also available from Amazon)! They're a "cardboard construction system" - basically a set of specialty plastic screws for use holding cardboard together, as well as a plastic saw and specialty screw driver. Excellent accessory for making cardboard creations.

Also, you might like at Steve Caney's Ultimate Building Book. It's all about this same kind of tinkering, and has lots of project ideas using various building "systems" (like toilet paper tubes, or pvc pipe, or rolled up newspaper).

OK, I just peeked in because the thread name piqued my interest since I also have a cardboard junkie (I mean 'engineer'ðŸ˜) at home. Anyhoo, I ended up buying the book mentioned above. I think my gal will like it tons (& my wallet is hapoy too since I found an uber cheap used copy). Now I feel I MUST add the MakeDo accesory kit in order to round things out. And I wonder why my wallet's always so slender, LOL!😜

• Like 1

If you're a Costco person, may I recommend Costco for better cardboard? Many of the palates of goods have huge, unmarked, quality cardboard sheets that separate them. It's SO nice for true cardboard lovers to have plain, totally flat cardboard for large projects. People look at me funny, but I've walked out with a dozen sheets of the stuff before. Of course, free. They just recycle it.

I was going to recommend the MakeDo items too - one DD got them for her birthday one year, best thing ever for all my girl's creations! Just remember to not accidentally throw out connecting pieces on recycling day when you're in one of those "everything has to go or I'm going to go mad" days. 

• Like 1

My kids have really enjoyed adding water bottles and water jugs to their cardboard creations. My 8yo usually cuts up the bottles for herself and her 6yo brother to use. They also glue on the various bottle tops as well. They like using cereal or tissue boxes for more pliable parts.