Menu

Quitting the Piano Teacher

MASHomeschooler

We are preparing to switch piano teachers. Our current teacher is one we've been seeing about 6 months, since we moved to the area. He is young (college student), which I thought would be a positive for my kids, but his inexperience has been a negative. The main reason we're quitting is I've noticed 3 times he's given incorrect music theory info to my youngest. Since I've noticed them, I've corrected the info with her. But I'm concerned that he's likely also teaching my other child some things incorrectly (and I don't know, since his level of music theory is above mine). The new teacher we're going to try is much more experienced, with a music degree and decades of teaching (and performing) experience. She will also come to our house, which will be more convenient and comfortable than going to the current teacher's house.

So, when I tell the current teacher we're leaving, should I mention the music theory inaccuracies, or just say the new one will work better for us logistically?

Tell him you've decided you want your children to benefit from a higher level of experience and education, and since you've found such an opportunity, they will be transferring to another teacher.

Don't get into specific criticisms, don't name the other teacher, don't get sucked into drama or multiple emails or discussions - and DO thank him for his time.

It's half way through the month, so I assume he's already been paid through March? If not, I would pay him for the rest of the month, but I would not send my children to class again. Let them start with the new teacher ASAP.

• Like 5

I definitely wouldn't mention it.  I might just say you're making the change because it logistically makes more sense for you.  I would definitely give him fair notice and pay him through his term.   I wouldn't make a big deal of his errors if he's new to teaching kids.  Knowing the info and stating it in a way that makes sense to kids are 2 different skills and probably something he is still working on.   If he's working on a degree in music, I'm sure he's getting the correct theory info. 

• Like 2

“Hi Piano Teacher! We will no longer be doing lessons after the end of this month, I want to thank you for the effort you have put in teaching little Kim and Freddy - it has been a positive experience for them and they have enjoyed their lessons. Thank you.â€

No excuses. No rational. Just a polite notice and a thank you for the teacher. If they press you for a reason, just say “We are making some changes now and this works best for our family.â€

Btw - I totally learned this from the Hive here! This interaction style has made my life so much better.

• Like 15

I probably wouldn't mention it, but I'm curious to know what kind of inaccuracies these were?

The first time he asked if she knew what the time signature meant. She said the top number is beats in a measure, and the bottom number is the note that gets a beat. He said no, a quarter note is always 1 beat, the time signature just means (top number) (bottom number notes) per measure. I've heard it referred to this way as well, but her way is I think more accurate and definitely not wrong.

I can't remember the second. The most recent (this week) was he pointed out that the last measure had a missing beat, and she said, "Oh, because of (name of this, which I don't know), the missing beat is in the first measure. He said no, it was a mistake. He said the first measure could be missing some, and you just take it as starting with rests, but the last measure always needs all the beats, so they had to decide to either add a rest or extend the last note.

Oh, and he also once mis-corrected my son about vocabulary. He asked him if he knew what contemporary was, my son answered, "From the same time," and he said no. I can't remember exactly what he said it did mean, but it was like the first incident, where it worked, but my son's answer was actually more accurate and he told him it was wrong.

Thanks, everyone. I won't mention it. I was leaning towards that anyway (especially since I hate conflict), but then started wondering if I had an "obligation" to be more honest. Glad I don't :D

• Like 1

The first time he asked if she knew what the time signature meant. She said the top number is beats in a measure, and the bottom number is the note that gets a beat. He said no, a quarter note is always 1 beat, the time signature just means (top number) (bottom number notes) per measure. I've heard it referred to this way as well, but her way is I think more accurate and definitely not wrong.

I can't remember the second. The most recent (this week) was he pointed out that the last measure had a missing beat, and she said, "Oh, because of (name of this, which I don't know), the missing beat is in the first measure. He said no, it was a mistake. He said the first measure could be missing some, and you just take it as starting with rests, but the last measure always needs all the beats, so they had to decide to either add a rest or extend the last note.

Oh, and he also once mis-corrected my son about vocabulary. He asked him if he knew what contemporary was, my son answered, "From the same time," and he said no. I can't remember exactly what he said it did mean, but it was like the first incident, where it worked, but my son's answer was actually more accurate and he told him it was wrong.

Thanks, everyone. I won't mention it. I was leaning towards that anyway (especially since I hate conflict), but then started wondering if I had an "obligation" to be more honest. Glad I don't :D

He doesn't know what pickup notes are? These two examples sound like a rigidity that comes from inexperience, to me.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 6

I don't even think I would explain anything. I would just say we are deciding to stop taking lessons on this date.

Done.

This! Thank him and tell him the kids won’t be continuing. The end.

I don’t give my rationale to anyone. Tehy either argue or get offended (or both).

I’m all for short and simple - but as polite as possible.

The new teacher sounds like a better fit.

But I do want to know the errors he made. Now I’m curious!

• Like 2

He doesn't know what pickup notes are? These two examples sound like a rigidity that comes from inexperience, to me.

Apparently not, and my daughter even knew the term (anacrusis?). My music theory is not that good, so when I'm catching these things, I am not happy, so, yeah, we're done.

• Like 4

Tell him you've decided you want your children to benefit from a higher level of experience and education, and since you've found such an opportunity, they will be transferring to another teacher.

Don't get into specific criticisms, don't name the other teacher, don't get sucked into drama or multiple emails or discussions - and DO thank him for his time.

It's half way through the month, so I assume he's already been paid through March? If not, I would pay him for the rest of the month, but I would not send my children to class again. Let them start with the new teacher ASAP.

This is how I would handle it but would probably not even explain why. You could just say that you need to discontinue lessons with him; he can chalk it up to your budget, your displeasure, whatever. IF he asked for details, you could then say that a more experienced teacher with a schedule that better suited your needs had contacted you about an open space.

Switch now, get those kids working with their new teacher. Recital season is just around the corner. My kids would be getting their recital music just about now. Picking recital pieces is a sure hook to keep them invested, better to avoid that if possible, to prevent the kids from being disappointed about not being able to play the piece they chose.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 4

We've been through this. Thank the teacher for the hard work and state that you're going a different direction. Have a nice summer/break/whatever! Don't get sucked into discussion. This person WORKS for you, you can terminate a contract. I only wish we'd done it earlier with one of my children. Same deal--nice person, but simply didn't have the experience and education. My oldest has had to go the other way, terminating a contract to teach. "I don't feel that I'm the teacher that little Johnny needs. After April 15th, I'll not be able to provide lessons for Johnny. Thank you." OF course it's because little Johnny is a brat, he never practices, and you're always late with payment, but there is no point in going into that. Terminate. Move on.

Nodding. I am terminating my first contract, as a music teacher. I agonized awhile over what to say, then finally realized I only need to congratulate him for having reached his initial goals (and the end of what I am able to teach him), and give an end date.

We haven't reached the end of what I know, or what I am teaching other people - just the end of what I can teach HIM. Lol

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 4

I've got a hard to teach kid, I really wish I could find a good fit teacher for him. He has social anxiety that can lead him to shut down in one on one situations.

I've wondered if someone who teaches over video call might work better.