Menu

Sorry--had to make supper too. Anyway, yes, we used NARHS twice, once with my second dd, and once with my youngest. Our experience the first time around as, well, let's say challenging. They simply could not conceive of a highly gifted kid--they were in the mode of helping FL kids get around the exit exams. We were constantly accused of lying about the amount of work and reading dd had done. They were under the impression that military academy deadlines were suggestions. The military academy process is horrendous, with absurd amounts of paperwork, however, that's what it is. I've often said she ended up with three Appointments in spite of the school. It was doubly frustrating to have to apply as a hser to NCAA after all the record keeping and money. 

Fast forward to the last one. We no longer HAD to have an accredited program since CGA no longer required one. However, dd's stats were iffy for the Academies. So, we gave NARHS another try, with the new owners. I had a long visit with them first, explaining the process, and asking them if they were up for it. I think they regretted accepting us--the Academies are like nothing else. It worked, but if I had another kid, I wouldn't use them. I don't think it hindered her chances, but I don't think it particularly helped either. Looking back, I wish I'd used my own school profile and counselor report. It added another layer, with accompanying stress. 

I have no experience using them for non-college bound--all of mine went to, or are in college currently, with 3 master's, ABD on the doctorate, one bachelor's and one about to graduate. We have friends who were interested in them for some of their foster/adopt kids, but w/o an IEP, NARHS will not accept below high school materials. 

NARHS requires a lot of record keeping (as they should) but it's not overwhelming unless you're not in the habit. One thing we found useful was to NOT use their record-keeping book, but to do it in an Excel file. So much simpler--hour of piano practice a day? Just drag down. I've always kept "evidence" of learning, so that was not an added burden for us.

One of the frustrations we did have was their struggles with portals for recommendation letters, etc. Um, it's a standard way of doing it, with almost every college in the US using a similar system, so ya' better figure it out! That said, I think they had no idea what they were getting into, though I tried to warn them. 3 Academies, 2 ROTC, 4 Congressional Nominations, + 6 other schools, all with different requirements and deadlines... I think they were glad to see up gone!

• Like 1

Yes, NARHS helped me to get my son's Algebra and Physical Science work accredited for his placement into higher level courses in public high school for next year. From what I've read in this forum, most universities don't really care if the classes are accredited; however, if your child decides to go to public school, some public schools require accreditation or passing placement tests. Also, our public school requires specific accreditation authorities and would not accept the accreditation provided by Kolbe.  (My son was only halfway through Jurgensen Geometry in January, so he registered with Silicon Valley Online High School, which is accredited through AdvancED, and quickly completed the Geometry course for accreditation.) So when my son starts public school in August, he'll be placed in Algebra 2 (although he's taking Derek Owens' Algebra 2 class now, so he may be ready for Precalculus.) For NARHS, I only sent in his tests and textbook information. It was a very straightforward process. For courses using a textbook, NARHS requires the text to be completed. If the course is "homegrown," more information is needed. 

I hope this makes sense. I'm in a rush and can't proofread for content/errors. Please ask more questions if needed!

We had friends who used NARHS years ago, when they'd count a credit for 3/4 of a textbook. Only, the ps wouldn't take it. I'm glad that they now require the whole text--makes it cleaner. Yes, many ps texts don't figure you finished, but most hs texts expect that you do. Our ps has accepted NARHS in the past, with the exception of that 3/4 of a text thing. But, as I warned a thinking-about-it hser today, that's no guarantee that they will in the future, just like there is no guarantee that they'd take a B&M private school or another ps's transcript. 

What helped us was that the Georgia Department of Education lists the accreditation authorities it will accept for homeschoolers to receive credit for comparable public high school classes. Many, if not all, of the regional accreditation authorities are accepted and NARHS,if I recall correctly, is accredited by MSS - Middle States something, which is on the approved list. I learned that in order for my son to be eligible for the Hope scholarship in Georgia, which pays for tuition at a state university, his courses must receive accreditation. So if my son decides he prefers homeschooling after trying public school,I will use NARHS to receive the accreditation stamp of approval.

• Like 1