Menu

Any tricks to cope with the time change?

Liz CA

That's it pretty much.

I have trouble falling asleep and with the time change it will be 1:30am or so before I finally nod off.

When I go to bed earlier, I just lie there and flip from side to side. Reading is my best bet but I can read up to midnight and beyond with no problems. :)

The constant push for fewer month on regular time and many more months on daylight savings time is annoying me.

I kind of like the push because I would like them to give it up altogether.

I would be fine with this too. Push it out to 12 months and let me adjust and then LEAVE IT ALONE.

Our coping mechanism is ranting to our local congressman about abolishing DST, so I’m probably no help.

#morecoffee

Dh got my hopes up a few weeks ago by mentioning that the whole issue was under consideration. I took that to mean that there was a chance of abolishing DST but not so.

My trick is to spend the time I’m miserable and up with children who do not understand government tricks with time writing snarky letters to Congresspersons telling them this is the stupidest system EVER. I am probably on a list though, so ymmv. ;)

I don’t care which they pick. Just pick one and stick with it. Every year at this time I contemplate moving to Arizona.

Ditto. I have not written to congress members but perhaps I need to start and the time when you are fuming about not getting to sleep seems as good a time as any!

• Like 1

You could try melatonin and morning light exposure to reset your body clock. 

The problem is that they are taking that morning light away from us.

Just when I finally don't have to get up in the dark anymore - bam, it's dark again. Stupid. Pick one and stick with it.

• Like 6

My trick is to spend the time I’m miserable and up with children who do not understand government tricks with time writing snarky letters to Congresspersons telling them this is the stupidest system EVER. I am probably on a list though, so ymmv. ;)

I don’t care which they pick. Just pick one and stick with it. Every year at this time I contemplate moving to Arizona.

Florida is contemplating going to daylight savings time permanently. Not sure how I feel about that. Hard to get the kids to bed when it is light out so late, and getting up in the dark sucks. But yeah, picking one is better than switching back and forth. 

• Like 2

The problem is that they are taking that morning light away from us.

Just when I finally don't have to get up in the dark anymore - bam, it's dark again. Stupid. Pick one and stick with it.

True! I have a light box here--but I think it's hard to know if it's going to be helpful until you try it.  

• Like 1

Tell me how you use it. Looks intriguing. 

I just sit near it in the morning while I drink my coffee. It's off to the side a bit, on the end table next to my chair. Just having that light for 15-30 minutes in the morning totally changed my mood, lifted depression, and gave me more energy. 

• Like 5

When I can't sleep for whatever reason I meditate (at the beginning, middle or end of the night).  I often drift off at some point, but even if I don't, my body seems to register that time as sleep: I am refreshed in the morning and it helps to reset my clock.

• Like 1

Yes, it is earlier. And we will not change back until November. It used to be October and April.

WHAT?????  How did I not know about this? And yes, it used to be right around my birthday (4/9) because I remember having a party on the party and thinking it would be very grown up to have a night time party, only to have the time change turn it into a daytime party, lol. 

I wish they’d change to DST permanently. There has been talk of moving New England to Atlantic time and then not observing DST. I really wish they’d do it. We are so far East in our time zone that it’s dark by 4:30 in the winter. It’s terrible. It stays light out til about 5:30 now but I’m looking forward to next week and “longer†days.

• Like 4

Well I have to seriously power through it. I have a work training this weekend. (12-9, 9-9, 9-7). 37 hours in three days. Add in an hour commute to the location each way. Sunday is going to be rough getting up early after being thoroughly exhausted the previous two days. Oh an I do go back to work Monday.

Adjusting will be a blur.

A one hour switch has never bothered me except for maybe the first night.

I love daylight savings.  I love having longer evenings, especially in the late spring and summer.  And in the winter, when everything is so cold with shorter days, I love having the morning sun.  

It's a win-win for me.  :) 

Sorry -- I guess that's not what you were looking for!

I wish they’d change to DST permanently. There has been talk of moving New England to Atlantic time and then not observing DST. I really wish they’d do it. We are so far East in our time zone that it’s dark by 4:30 in the winter. It’s terrible. It stays light out til about 5:30 now but I’m looking forward to next week and “longer†days.

We liked Atlantic time when we lived in the Maritimes. The winter darkness just wasn't as extreme. It totally makes sense for New England to adopt it as well, particularly Maine since we are practically as far east. I suppose the economics of having too many time zones messes with the idea, but there have been rumblings. I would support it for sure--Eastern time just doesn't make sense way over here.

Yes, it is earlier. And we will not change back until November. It used to be October and April.

Hmm. As an advocate for year-round DST, can't say I'm unhappy. But the dark in the morning is a challenge to overcome. I guess it's hard for me anyway, being a night owl, so I'll just resolve myself to do it. Enough with the back and forth, though, I just wish they'd pick one and stick with it.

OP, to make it easier to move about on those groggy mornings, I try to eliminate as much decision-making as possible. The night before I try to set aside daytime clothes and lunch for the next day and have an idea of if there's anything I need to do for dinner before I leave the house for the day. I'll even take my shower in the evening so that I don't have to get a shower in the morning. The less I have to think about it, the easier I can stumble through. And, coffee.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

I wish we would too.  I don't know why we are in Central time but we get sunsets in winter very close to 4:30 (more like 4:40) and we are so much more south than you.  Its horrible.  I think we should stay on DST.