Menu

A mystery

Scarlett

Cat, Cat, Cat. You have obviously never been suspicious of a cheating husband and determined to get to the truth.

Thankfully, I haven’t had that experience, but my worry is that if this woman thinks you’re having an affair with her husband, she might want to eliminate the competition.

Jealous people can do some crazy things. And even if you tell her you’re not sleeping with her husband, she probably won’t believe you.

My question is this — how did your phone number end up on her husband’s phone?

• Like 1

Thankfully, I haven’t had that experience, but my worry is that if this woman thinks you’re having an affair with her husband, she might want to eliminate the competition.

Jealous people can do some crazy things. And even if you tell her you’re not sleeping with her husband, she probably won’t believe you.

My question is this — how did your phone number end up on her husband’s phone?

Probably my institutionalized brother used his phone to call me at some point.  Must have been well over a year ago.  He has been transferred to so many different facilities in recent years I literally do not know where all he has been because at some point he lost my number.  He has called me from many many numbers. 

Probably my institutionalized brother used his phone to call me at some point. Must have been well over a year ago. He has been transferred to so many different facilities in recent years I literally do not know where all he has been because at some point he lost my number. He has called me from many many numbers.

So do you think this woman is romantically involved with your brother?

Sorry to be so clueless, but I think I missed something somewhere along the line.

So do you think this woman is romantically involved with your brother?

Sorry to be so clueless, but I think I missed something somewhere along the line.

Um, no.  I think my brother....who is a paranoid schizophrenic and who doesn't have a phone,  used someone's phone to call me.  He does this a lot.  I think that is how my NN and my number ended up on some stranger's  phone.  And someone is trying to figure out why it is there. 

Um, no. I think my brother....who is a paranoid schizophrenic and who doesn't have a phone, used someone's phone to call me. He does this a lot. I think that is how my NN and my number ended up on some stranger's phone. And someone is trying to figure out why it is there.

Oh! Ok! Thanks for explaining!

So you’re thinking that maybe this woman’s husband let your brother borrow his phone so he could call you, and the guy's wife saw an unfamiliar number on her husband’s phone, so now she’s worried that he’s cheating on her with you?

Or am I still wrong? :laugh:

One thing that puzzles me, though, is how your nickname would have gotten on to the other person’s phone. If it had been your brother’s own phone, I could understand that when he added you to his contacts he would have used your nickname, but if it was someone else’s phone, the number would show up but your nickname wouldn’t be there... and yet the woman knew your nickname.

• Like 1

Oh! Ok! Thanks for explaining!

So you’re thinking that maybe this woman’s husband let your brother borrow his phone so he could call you, and the guy's wife saw an unfamiliar number on her husband’s phone, so now she’s worried that he’s cheating on her with you?

Or am I still wrong? :laugh:

One thing that puzzles me, though, is how your nickname would have gotten on to the other person’s phone. If it had been your brother’s own phone, I could understand that when he added you to his contacts he would have used your nickname, but if it was someone else’s phone, the number would show up but your nickname wouldn’t be there... and yet the woman knew your nickname.

Yes you got it.  :)

Well sometimes workers would let him use their phone to call me....I would get calls from the same number several times in a row and when I would ask him he would tell me it was a worker or a fellow resident.....So while I am surprised someone would bother adding me to their contacts....knowing my brother I can see they might have just got tired of him fumbling through his wallet for my number and decided to just add me.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

I had something similar happen to me a couple years ago- phone rang in the middle of the night, first they were silent and then just asked my name. I hung up and they called back accusing me of sleeping with her husband?!?

Then ends up calling my husband's cell phone a few minutes later. Finally figure out it was the wife of an employee of ours who was drunk going through numbers on her husband's phone. He had called me with a work question a few days prior. And my DH had called him to schedule a job.

I hope yours is as innocent and you figure it out quickly!

Yeah, I just heard a seriously creepy story about a guy following a woman on the highway and then he called her cell phone and knew her name.

I've got to look for the story.

I think her name was Becca, and he called her and said, "I'm right behind you Becca."

or else my DH got the story wrong...

😳

Horrors!

Why did she insist someone called you today? If it was your brother and months ago, why would she say that?

I have no idea.  I am sure she has no idea at all about my brother.  Just some random resident who no longer lives there.  She just saw the name, didn't recognize it and decided to call it.

• Like 1

I had something similar happen to me a couple years ago- phone rang in the middle of the night, first they were silent and then just asked my name. I hung up and they called back accusing me of sleeping with her husband?!?

Then ends up calling my husband's cell phone a few minutes later. Finally figure out it was the wife of an employee of ours who was drunk going through numbers on her husband's phone. He had called me with a work question a few days prior. And my DH had called him to schedule a job.

I hope yours is as innocent and you figure it out quickly!

Yikes!  At least this woman didn't call in the middle of the night.!  And she wasn't drunk.  LOL

Of course she thinks that.  

:confused1: :confused1:  So you've just jumped to this conclusion and I see you are now in the clinging to it and refusing to budge phase of the thread, which frankly, I'm just too exhausted for right now.

ETA: To be clear, I think that it's possible you are right. And possible you are wrong.

Edited by Mimm
  • Like 1

:confused1: :confused1: So you've just jumped to this conclusion and I see you are now in the clinging to it and refusing to budge phase of the thread, which frankly, I'm just too exhausted for right now.

ETA: To be clear, I think that it's possible you are right. And possible you are wrong.

Friday night I crashed your party

Saturday I said I'm sorry

Sunday came and trashed me out again

• Like 4

:confused1: :confused1: So you've just jumped to this conclusion and I see you are now in the clinging to it and refusing to budge phase of the thread, which frankly, I'm just too exhausted for right now.

Well of course I could be wrong......I sure can't think of a more likely explanation.

I have no idea.  I am sure she has no idea at all about my brother.  Just some random resident who no longer lives there.  She just saw the name, didn't recognize it and decided to call it.

The thing that concerns me is that she seems awfully determined to find out your name. Why would she care if she wasn’t planning to find out where you live and/or stalk you to see if you’re fooling around with her husband, or even worse, to confront you about it in person?

It seems odd that she would go to this much trouble if she didn’t have ill intentions of some sort.

As I said earlier, you know you’re not sleeping with her husband, but she doesn’t know that, and just because you weren’t the kind of wife who wanted revenge against your ex’s girlfriend doesn’t mean that this woman might not try to harm you.

I know you think I’m being silly, but please be careful. You’re assuming this woman is an ordinary, sane person who’s checking up on her husband, but you really have no way of knowing that for sure.

• Like 2

The thing that concerns me is that she seems awfully determined to find out your name. Why would she care if she wasn’t planning to find out where you live and/or stalk you to see if you’re fooling around with her husband, or even worse, to confront you about it in person?

It seems odd that she would go to this much trouble if she didn’t have ill intentions of some sort.

As I said earlier, you know you’re not sleeping with her husband, but she doesn’t know that, and just because you weren’t the kind of wife who wanted revenge against your ex’s girlfriend doesn’t mean that this woman might not try to harm you.

I know you think I’m being silly, but please be careful. You’re assuming this woman is an ordinary, sane person who’s checking up on her husband, but you really have no way of knowing that for sure.

Well she sucks at stalking. I feel pretty certain I know more about her than she does me at this point.

I don't think you are silly....thank you for worrying about me....but really if she can't find out who I am what would be the point of calling me in the first place? I think it is perfectly normal she would want to know who I am.

I talked to my brother today......I plan to call back tomorrow and ask him if he was ever in this person's city.

Um, no. I think my brother....who is a paranoid schizophrenic and who doesn't have a phone, used someone's phone to call me. He does this a lot. I think that is how my NN and my number ended up on some stranger's phone. And someone is trying to figure out why it is there.

But why would he save the number on a strangers phone?

Well she sucks at stalking. I feel pretty certain I know more about her than she does me at this point.

I don't think you are silly....thank you for worrying about me....but really if she can't find out who I am what would be the point of calling me in the first place? I think it is perfectly normal she would want to know who I am.

I talked to my brother today......I plan to call back tomorrow and ask him if he was ever in this person's city.

If she calls again, could you ask her if she knew anyone who worked at the type of institution that your brother is placed at? If she says that her family member works at such a job, you have some clue as to what is going on.

SHM. No. Just no. I guess since none of you talked to her you can't really understand how obvious it is that she is not some sort of scammer. I found her on FB. I went through her friends lists, and their friends list. She is just a normal person trying to figure out who I am because she found my number on her boyfriend or husband's phone. I found her on FB because she gave me her real first name but a fake last name and then the name she asked about is her last name.

She is no threat to me.

Obviously we weren't privy to the tone of the conversation. Just pointing out that based on the information you initially posted there could be reason to be quite concerned. If there's more to it than you are communicating well yeah... we aren't going to be much help.

Anyway I think I'll leave you to enjoy your bit of mystery in peace... I need to go clean.

• Like 2

Just a heads up, if you look up someone on FB and click on their page, I'm pretty sure you end up, at some point, being advertised to them as "someone you may know."

I've seen articles to the contrary, but I'm not sure I believe them.

I don't think that is true, but I don't care. I am not afraid of her and I have nothing to hide.

• Like 1

If she calls again, could you ask her if she knew anyone who worked at the type of institution that your brother is placed at? If she says that her family member works at such a job, you have some clue as to what is going on.

Yes, good idea. But I doubt she will call again.