Menu

Garbage trucks in parades ?

laundrycrisis

I’m trying to figure out if this is a local thing. I went to or was part of a lot of parades growing up, and I don’t remember garbage trucks, just emergency vehicles. Here we get snow plows, construction vehicles, and garbage trucks also. Is it regional or everywhere?

• Like 1

Our typical parade vehicles include emergency vehicles, National Guard vehicles, old cars, and lots of tractors and pickup trucks pulling trailers full of people (mostly children).   Sometimes the companies sponsoring the floats have equipment on the trailers as backdrops for the children they are hauling. I would be surprised to see a garbage truck since our refuse pickup is outsourced to a private company headquartered outside our county.

New city or county vehicles might appear in a parade, but the time to see an array of them is at the city’s annual meet the trucks day.  At this extremely popular event, a sampling of city and county equipment is displayed at one of the city parks.  Employees explain what the vehicles are used for and allow children to climb into the drivers’ seats.  The children get to look through a sewer pipe and have their pictures taken with the sewer pipe camera.  Most popular are the police and sheriff’s vehicle sirens and lights. 

• Like 3

I’ve never seen a garbage truck in a parade here in the Deep South. But what a great idea! My DS would love this. I thought his love for garbage trucks was strange when he was younger, but I didn’t realize it was a “thing†for little ones to like garbage trucks. He says Monday is the best day of the week because it’s garbage day.

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me here though I don't think I've seen one, maybe I have. We get construction equipment, tow trucks, dump trucks, septic trucks, etc in our parades -- anyone that sponsors a slot gets to drive in the parade. Now in the holiday parade, I get a little opinionated if they've not even tried to add some lights but most do. 

And there are basically small town parades and we have several a year - it's a quaint little thing that I really enjoy about where I live.

Haha, I think I do remember seeing one in our local parades from time to time.  It's just a small family-owned business in our town, and it probably isn't really any odder to have a garbage truck than all the tractors that ride in our parades!

They are large waste management and recycling companies.  

https://www.facebook.com/DowntownStCharlesPartnership/photos/pcb.1806541946063241/1806538442730258/?type=3&theater

The caption: Come see the big Advanced Disposal garbage trucks and hear the beautiful pipes and drums of the Dundee Scottish Pipe Band throughout the entire downtown!

It's not just that town.  Our town does it too, for every parade.  We get bulldozers, dump trucks, the paddy wagon or animal control, just everything ... and garbage trucks.   :cheers2:

Edited by laundrycrisis

They make an appearance in our parades.  But we are small town.  There are more people IN the parade than watching it.  The more, the merrier!  I know many little boys that find garbage trucks fascinating so why not let them get a slow motion look at one...preferably not full of stinky garbage at the time.....

• Like 1

I haven't seen it, but it makes sense to me. So many kids love the trucks.  Heck, I think they're sort of fascinating myself.

Side note:  "Trash and recycling collector" is one of the most dangerous jobs in the U.S..  It ranks higher than policemen on the scale of fatalities.  So, why not give them a shoutout.

• Like 1

I am not sure I have ever seen a garbage truck in our parades but I wouldn't be surprised. We have fire trucks, tractors, semis, and even manure spreaders....yep. the parade also includes a grocery cart drill team (syncronized to music).

• Like 1

I am not sure I have ever seen a garbage truck in our parades but I wouldn't be surprised. We have fire trucks, tractors, semis, and even manure spreaders....yep. the parade also includes a grocery cart drill team (syncronized to music).

Our local library has a book cart drill team for our Christmas parade.

• Like 5

I just saw that for the first time this past Christmas. It was the first parade we've attended in our small town and they had every service imaginable represented. Pretty sure I remember a truck from a privately owned septic service too. I thought it was odd but it was also a really great parade.

Growing up in a small town, yup! Garbage truck was in the parades, all cleaned out and shiny (or as shiny as they could get it). In most small towns, any and everything can be in the parade. If it's a long one, some kids are at the front for something like 4H, and as soon as they finish, they run to their next spot for a sport or local business.

For our heritage days, the parade starts with the street sweepers: children and adults in traditional costumes, with brooms and buckets!

Yes, in the small town parade my daughter's AHG troop participates in. Garbage trucks, fire trucks, Billy Bob's tree service, even a fflaybed trailer full of guitar playing kids from the local guitar studio. Anything representing the town is welcome. Very Mayberry and fun! It was a Veterans' Day parade, so the trash truck had flags a-flying!

Edited by ScoutTN

I’m trying to figure out if this is a local thing. I went to or was part of a lot of parades growing up, and I don’t remember garbage trucks, just emergency vehicles. Here we get snow plows, construction vehicles, and garbage trucks also. Is it regional or everywhere?

I don't know but I just wanted to say I keep reading this thread title 'Garbage trucks in paradise.'

LOL

• Like 3

I've never seen it either, but okay. Seems cool.

When my kids were little, there was a city park we frequented. A couple of times a week, the garbage truck would come up onto the little drive that didn't allow cars that went right through the park and by the fenced playground to dump all the trash cans. The toddlers and preschoolers would always, every time, all run to the fence and begin to cheer. Not just like a little clap, but as if Dora the Explorer or Raffi himself were coming by the park. The garbage truck guys would wave and one time I saw a guy bow. It was a scream.

So, hey, if they can get that kind of reaction, they definitely belong in a parade.

• Like 3