Menu

Cooking question...Parchment circles for baking pans

Tap

I love the ease of having pre cut parchment circles for round baking pans.  I have 9 inch round pans and picked up parchment circles that fit when i bought the pans.  I didn't pay attention to size when I bought them, just that they fit inside.

I just bought new circles that are 9 inch and they are too big.  

Do you usually buy the size of the pan or smaller?  Is it a brand issue or a common conversion that I never noticed before?

I love the ease of having pre cut parchment circles for round baking pans.  I have 9 inch round pans and picked up parchment circles that fit when i bought the pans.  I didn't pay attention to size when I bought them, just that they fit inside.

I just bought new circles that are 9 inch and they are too big.  

Do you usually buy the size of the pan or smaller?  Is it a brand issue or a common conversion that I never noticed before?

I didn't know such a thing existed.  I've always just traced and cut my own circles.  

• Like 1

I’ve never used parchment for my cakes, have I been doing it wrong all my life?

I don't know, but I live dangerously like you and don't use parchment for my cakes either.

They are great for cakes that tend to stick in the pan. Or if you need to flip a delicate cake before it cools completely.  If you line the pan with them, (then add oil/flour if needed), when you go to flip the cake, you don't leave stuck bits behind on the pan.  The liner comes off with the cake and then you just peel it off when you are ready. It also stabilizes the layer if you need to handle it a bit, like if you cut the single layer into multiple thin layers.  It is really nice if you are icing a round layer cake, so you start with a completely smooth surface. 

• Like 1

They are great for cakes that tend to stick in the pan. Or if you need to flip a delicate cake before it cools completely. If you line the pan with them, (then add oil/flour if needed), when you go to flip the cake, you don't leave stuck bits behind on the pan. The liner comes off with the cake and then you just peel it off when you are ready. It also stabilizes the layer if you need to handle it a bit, like if you cut the single layer into multiple thin layers. It is really nice if you are icing a round layer cake, so you start with a completely smooth surface.

It makes sense, I’ve just never done it. I use parchment for cookies and piping bags. Next time I make my chocolate cake though I’m going to try it, the recipe I use does tend to stick to the pan.
  • Like 1

I use parchment for  most of my baking and just trace and cut for round pans. Sometimes I use wax paper, if I have any.  Never heard of parchment circles.  I buy a giant roll at Costco about once a year, so I'm not in a hurry to look for circles!  

In culinary school we greased and floured the pans. 

I do like parchment.  It's a major pain to work with the rolled stuff though.  I've never seen precut stuff.

Different training I guess.

I worked in a commercial bakery and we used them on almost all traditional flour based cakes.  Exceptions were a few cakes that either didn't need them or it would have caused more trouble to use them like angel food or upside down cakes.

I like them. They cost me about a nickle and I never have to think twice about flipping a pan and having it not come out intact.

ETA: it may be a climate issue too. I live and work in the PNW where it is damp most of the year.  It definitely affects how things cook, so maybe that is part of it too.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

We used them at the bakery partly to keep cakes from sticking and partly to make pan washing easier. Back then we hired a high school boy to wash dishes for us- no automatic dishwasher.

I’m too lazy to stock multiple sizes so I just buy full sheet size parchment and cut it as needed.

I wonder if your pants are actually 8 inch pans and not 9 inch?

Yep, they say 9 inch on the bottom......but you actually solved the problem!!!!!

The pans list the measurement as 9 inch so I never thought much of it.  BUT the sides are slightly tapered so they stack. The bottom is slightly less than 9!  I measured the papers and they are exactly 9 inches.

I had never thought about it, so I just cut the remaining stack that I had into 8.5 inch circles and now they fit!!!! Now i don't have to be irritated and cut them every time.  OY!!! I can't believe I never thought to cut them all at once before.  LOL  

• Like 3

Basically. Here’s a link: http://www.wilton.com/folding-parchment-triangles/WLTECH-7832.html

It’s nice if you are using a small amount of a lot of colors of icing. Otherwise I use a reusable piping bag.

We did this all the time in the bakery.  It is great for custom colors that you only use for a single cake and then toss.  Lot less clean up!

• Like 2

Please don't use wax paper in your oven, even under a cake. Wax paper and parchment paper are not interchangeable. Wax paper is coated with...wait for it...wax.  That means if it is heated the wax melts and goes into your food. That might be ok with you, but for most of us, that is not good eats. Yes, it's food grade, but so are birthday candles and I don't know anyone who considers those to be delicious snacks.

And please NEVER use wax paper to line a cookie sheet etc. It is highly flammable and will catch on fire in your oven. In girl scouts I learned to always bring a roll of wax paper on a camping trip because it makes a great fire starter. Parchment paper can also catch on fire but its not as flammable. Parchment is coated with silicone and it's heat resistant. If you use parchment paper on your pan to make cookies you can reuse it many times.

Parchment paper instead of greasing and flouring gives a more tender outside of the cake. Greasing and flouring encourages carmelization on the outside of the cake which leads to a tougher cake. Sometimes it really doesn't matter. But, if you are making a cake that is especially soft, think a white cake, you might want to use parchment. I use parchment for lining pans when I roast vegetables, or bake bacon or chicken. Pretty much any time I'm using a half sheet (or quarter sheet) pan I'm going to be lining it with parchment. There is nothing like cooking a chicken dinner and being able to roll up the parchment and toss it into the garbage, leaving a clean sheet pan behind.

I use a lot of wax paper in my kitchen but never in the oven. I put it down on my cutting boards for easy clean up. I put it down when I am pouring sugar or flour to catch any spills.  I use it for putting between things like pizza slices when they go in the fridge. 

For lining things like a 9X13 oblong pan I like to use reynolds non-stick aluminum foil. It works really, really well. I use it when making brownies or lasagna or coffee cakes or sticky buns or rice krispy treats. I've had very good luck with it for lining deeper pans. It goes right over the sides and covers the whole pan for very easy clean up. You can just lift them out to cut them up and the pan is clean.

FWIW, I have never bothered with the extra cost of pre-cut parchment. I just buy it in really big rolls and cut it to fit. I'm good at cutting it so it minimizes waste.

You can also buy a silpat sheet. I've got one, but I keep forgetting to use it, lol. But it does work beautifully and will last a very, very long time.

But no wax paper in the oven. No one wants to eat wax, and oven fires suck.

• Like 4