Menu

7th grade science

I have two sons in 7th grade.  One of them loves science and so I got BJU with dvds life science.  It said they were 30 min a day and I realize that might be the case for some teens but after a 15-20 min DVD each day, then all the reading and questions my boys take much longer than that.  The one who loves science is doing okay (still thinks its a lot) but my other guy is so over doing science each day for close to an hour.  

I don't want to take it down to half speed because it has 180 days of this a year so it will be hard to finish as it is.

Is there any recommendations for something similar to BJU that is not done every day?  He said he would much rather do 2-3 days a week OR shorter amount each day.  I know apologia is good also but I steered away from that for the simple fact Ive heard others say even more wordy than BJU and I don't think my guys would do better with more words.  

OH yes and he actually does not like experiments.  WHA?? I don't understand.  He's a super ourdoorsy guy, diligent and hard working.  He likes to get in and get stuff done and be done.  I'm just not seeing what he needs yet I guess.

We have finished all 5 books in the series......  Focus on Middle School (real science 4 kids).  He did fine with that.  But he's not ready for High School stuff.  

Suggestions please?

You could have them play the sessions at a little bit higher speed. Then you could set a total time limit for their work and either assign select problems or let them choose questions or have them work from the beginning but only until the time is up. Then call that good for that lesson. My son did BJU earth science and he learned a lot and never did all of the questions. I think he enjoyed it a lot more because he could focus on reading and learning and not worry about finishing questions. I didn't have him take questions. 

• Like 1