Menu

A question if you live near a school, particularly a high school

3 ladybugs

I live within the drug free zone of a high school.I can occasionally hear the loud speaker at the school.  Last week I called around to see if I could get alerted if the high school ever goes on lock down. I want to know just because I often let my boys play alone in the back yard. I don't want to know why the school is on lock down, I just want to know when, and when it is lifted. That way I can put my boys inside if need be. Seems simple enough to me since I am home all the time. 

Well my township doesn't do this. The school said it was a police matter, the police said it is a school matter. The township didn't even know what to do with me.

Has anyone successfully got a school to do this? I mean they have to alert the police when the school is on lock down, I would think it wouldn't be that much work to start a reverse 911 to let the rest of us that want to be alerted, to be alerted. 

My father lives on the other side of the country and he said this type of thing is routine where he lives. I just don't know how to make it routine in my area. 

Thank you for the help! 

I am near a HS, but I can't really imagine asking them to tell me this.  In the case they had such an incident calling random people seems like it would be the last thing on their minds.  And if there was real danger to my kids out playing I'd expect the police to be involved with notification.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 7

See if you can sign up for Alerts from that high school. I get text and phone alerts when anything major happens at the school across the street. I went online and signed up for them on the school’s website as though I was a parent.

The downside is that when they cancel school due to weather at 2:00 AM, I get that alert, too.

• Like 6

Follow the local high school on Facebook and Twitter. You can also follow the local police department, local newspaper if you have one, and local radio stations.

In my town, the local collegiate radio station is often an excellent source of current emergency information.

The school districts in this area have an automated call system too. It’s organized by the district, so maybe call the district office and tell them you live in district and want on their robocall list.

Edited by PinkyandtheBrains.
  • Like 1

we had a neighborhood shut down (not the high school. we're in walking distance) - the police shut things down.  I don't remember how they did, though I do remember them in the streets.  there was someone they were chasing who had disappeared into the neighborhood.

My nearby k-8 school was on lockdown years ago because of an armed burglar on the loose in the neighborhood. Police was the one who informed the three schools and two preschools within the lockdown area. Everyone who signed up for alerts received a shelter in place alert sent out by the police. The parents who went to pick up their kids just see lots of police cars patrolling.

Police knocked on doors on our street to advise us to shelter in place when an armed shooter was roaming around in our area some 7 years ago. All the private schools in my neighborhood had armed security guards patrolling for 2 days until the shooter was captured. So, if things get that bad, you will be notified by police immediately, I think.

Agreeing with others to follow on social media.  

We used to live one block away from a high school, and down the street from an elementary school,  so I put out the offer to all our friends that we would be a Safe House for their kids to get to in case of emergency at the school.   It was never needed while we lived there, but it sure gave a lot of parents peace of mind knowing that they had a point of contact away from the school in case something happened.

Anyway, I followed the HS AND the school district on FB, as well as the local scanner page and local PD.   I stay pretty informed with those- without getting the middle of the night weather alerts.