Menu

Good News/Potential Bad News

Just wanted share good news. Dh diagnosed the problem with my washing machine. The part will be here wednesday. It was a cheap and will be an easy fix! Woohoo. Go dh! I also got my laundry caught up at my parents house today, so that helps.

Now the potnetial bad news. Now all this I'm getting from the internet, so Im trying to remain calm. I have been itchy, very itchy. My hands and feet in the middle of the night. I remembered hearing somewhere along the line this could be a sign of something serious during pregnancy. So, according to my internet research it could be something called cholestasis which is some issue with your liver during pregnancy. I'm calling my ob first thing in the morning. It seems if you have this. they usually induce you around 37 or 38 weeks. Yikes that's close. I was counting on having more time to get ready for baby and was not even thinking induction. Yikes. I don't wanna. Please pray there is no issue with me and my precious baby girl. I'll be 36 weeks on wednesday.

Definitely get it checked out - they can diagnose with blood work I believe. Hopefully it's not that (I never had it but I do get itchy in pregnancy. Had lots of blood work due to previous bariatric surgery and levels were fine)

• Like 1

Definitely get it checked out - they can diagnose with blood work I believe. Hopefully it's not that (I never had it but I do get itchy in pregnancy. Had lots of blood work due to previous bariatric surgery and levels were fine)

Oh this is great to hear. I was wondering about this. I wasn't having much luck reading stories like this one, only the ladies that itched and had cholestasis.

I remember a friend of a friend having something in late pregnancy that caused constant itchiness. I don't remember what it was but I remember that it wasn't dangerous to the baby and didn't cause long-term harm to mom. So definitely get checked, but have hope in the meantime!

very encouraging, thanks!

My SIL had twins 6 months ago. She had the itching thing at the end. I seem to remember they treated with meds -- she did not have to be induced because of it. Mama and babies were perfectly fine afterwards.

But yes, it can be serious if untreated.

My SIL had twins 6 months ago. She had the itching thing at the end. I seem to remember they treated with meds -- she did not have to be induced because of it. Mama and babies were perfectly fine afterwards.

But yes, it can be serious if untreated.

Ok, this sounds good too. I have had an induction and I did not enjoy it ome bit.

Can also be PUPPPs. Which is miserable but not dangerous. I had it with my first and itched all the time. My OB promised I wouldn’t itch during labor and she was right. I didn’t itch at all after delivery and the rash I had went away after a week.

I didn't itch at all when pregnant with my boys, but I did with my dd. I used to sit in bed at night and scratch myself with a hair brush.  I don't remember if I ever even mentioned it to my midwife - I just figured it was a weird hormonal thing. :)

I'm getting blood drawn tomorrow morning and the results should be available tomorrow evening or the next day. She said she would suggest I get induced at 37 weeks if I have cholestasis. That's next week. Yikes. I always ask about the size of baby as have have had 2 9 pound babies and want them to keep a check so my baby doesn't grow too large for a vaginal delivery. Her estimation today was she is likely already 7 lbs. If I'm still pregnant in a few weeks they will likely do an ultrasound to keep a check on baby's size.

• Like 2

I had PUPPP's at the end with my twins.  It wasn't just itching though, it was more like hives all over.  Mine was so bad that they had all the dermatology students at the teaching hospital I was going to, come in to view it.  Plus, they took pictures to put in a textbook!!  With my permission, of course.  They didn't show my face, just my HUGE belly.  They told me that most pregnant women get some degree of PUPPP's, especially toward the end. 

I had terrible itching, no rash, with my second. It was so bad I was chewing on my fingers and palms. I had never experienced anything like it. I did the same research and got tested and the tests came back normal. I still think I had it, but my levels weren't elevated enough for them to worry about it. I was utterly miserable. The itching did get a bit better before the end, and she was born 8 days early (labor started on it's own) perfectly healthy.

Do you have any pain in the upper right quadrant of your abdomen? It's another common gallbladder symptom in late pregnancy. The fact that your palms and soles are itching is very suspicious. It takes a few days to get the bile acid results, so if the itching gets bad, ask for the meds before diagnosis. You can stop them if the labs are negative.