Menu

Quick question about colonoscopy prep - is cola allowed as a clear liquid?

Black coffee is allowed, but I don't drink coffee.  I love diet cola for the carbonation and caffeine.  Most of what I've read online says colas are fine but there is so much conflicting info online about what is and isn't allowed!  

Prep is tomorrow - wish me luck!  

I don’t think I was allowed to have cola, but is there a phone number you can call to ask so you will know for sure?

If you don’t get an answer from the doctor, you could probably call your pharmacist, but if you can’t get a definite answer, I would skip the coke for the day just to be safe.

I’m pretty sure I couldn’t have it, but other doctors might have different rules.

• Like 1

My mom, the RN, says that if you were in the hospital you would be allowed Sprite or 7UP because you can see through it, but you would not be allowed to have Coke because you can't see through it. She also said that after you take the prep you shouldn't venture very far from the bathroom, and you should be prepared to be in there for quite some time because that stuff hits like a bolt of lightning.

• Like 2

My mom, the RN, says that if you were in the hospital you would be allowed Sprite or 7UP because you can see through it, but you would not be allowed to have Coke because you can't see through it. She also said that after you take the prep you shouldn't venture very far from the bathroom, and you should be prepared to be in there for quite some time because that stuff hits like a bolt of lightning.

Can you ask your mom about cream soda?  That's my favorite.  It's the same color as tea and broth, which I know are allowed.

There is caramel coloring in cola, so I could see how that might affect a test.  I'd stick to clear soda for the day.  You do NOT want a false positive or to have to do it again!!

• Like 2

I'm an RN student, and we just covered this in my lab. Dark sodas are okay, even though many nurses - including my own nursing instructor who just taught us this! - prefer very clear, non-sugared liquids when a clear liquid diet is specified, but she admitted that was a personal preference. So I think you're okay with cream soda, but check with your (real, actual) nurse just in case.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/clear-liquid-diet/art-20048505

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm an RN student, and we just covered this in my lab. Dark sodas are okay, even though many nurses - including my own nursing instructor who just taught us this! - prefer very clear, non-sugared liquids when a clear liquid diet is specified, but she admitted that was a personal preference. So I think you're okay with cream soda, but check with your (real, actual) nurse just in case.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/clear-liquid-diet/art-20048505

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks!  This is so confusing because I just read the ingredients in the Crystal Light iced tea, which I thought was allowed, and there's red food dye in that!  I did call the nurse on Friday afternoon before the office closed, but she didn't return my call and I don't want to bother anyone on the weekend.  

Thanks!  This is so confusing because I just read the ingredients in the Crystal Light iced tea, which I thought was allowed, and there's red food dye in that!  I did call the nurse on Friday afternoon before the office closed, but she didn't return my call and I don't want to bother anyone on the weekend.

I think when they say iced tea is ok, they mean the kind you brew yourself with regular tea bags.

This stuff can get confusing, but remember it’s only for one day and then you’ll be back to normal, so it’s better to err on the side of caution than it is to take any chances that you’ll drink the wrong thing and the doctor won’t be able to get accurate results.

Before you do it, it seems like the prep will take forever and you’ll be half starved and feeling incredibly deprived, but in reality, the time goes quickly and hopefully you’ll be asleep for several hours overnight, so it’s easier than you are probably imagining it will be. :)

Is your test scheduled for early in the morning? I hope so!

• Like 1

I think when they say iced tea is ok, they mean the kind you brew yourself with regular tea bags.

This stuff can get confusing, but remember it’s only for one day and then you’ll be back to normal, so it’s better to err on the side of caution than it is to take any chances that you’ll drink the wrong thing and the doctor won’t be able to get accurate results.

Before you do it, it seems like the prep will take forever and you’ll be half starved and feeling incredibly deprived, but in reality, the time goes quickly and hopefully you’ll be asleep for several hours overnight, so it’s easier than you are probably imagining it will be. :)

Is your test scheduled for early in the morning? I hope so!

I discovered that even my gum has red dye in it so I won't be chewing that either. 

I am definitely being cautious and won't ingest anything that is questionable.  My test is in the morning - yay!  I'm really nervous about everything - mostly the prep making me sick or not working well enough.  

• Like 1