Menu

Singapore Dimensions vs. Discovering Math CC

My oldest dd finished Primary Mathematics, Standards 6 last year (after having done 1A-6B for elementary), and I was pleased with the program. We went through Jousting Armadillos during the first part of the year, but Crocodile and Cocunuts seems to be a lot trickier/more of a slog for her to wade through the words,words,words to the point of the math. Which makes me think that AoPS may not be just the thing to follow up with (I have Chuckles the Rocket Dog waiting for next).

I know in advance for sure and certain that my second dd is not going to appreciate all the extra words involved in JA, etc.

So, I started looking at Singapore middle school math books to see if integrated would be a good option for us during the middle school years. 

I found (and bought already...possibly should have waited on that) used copies of the 2012/13 versions of Discovering Mathematics textbooks and teacher's notes/solutions for 7A/7B. (even with shipping, it came to about $40 for all four books!)

I didn't realize until today that discovering and dimensions were really similar covers, but possibly different series. (So many varieties, I now find!)

At the moment, I'm thinking of having my oldest dd skim through the discovering mathematics 7 books and do a few diagnostic problems to see how her work in Jousting Armadillos translates. If there seems like a comparable quantity of work (for the amount of school year we have left), I might just have her work on the sections that we haven't already covered. 

If I plan ahead for dd2 (currently working in PM4B) to do Discovering Mathematics 7A/B when she gets there, is there some reason I should be factoring in for her to _not_ be able to go from Discovering Mathematics CC edition 7A/B -> Dimensions Mathematics 8A/B? 

TIA! I hope the question makes sense. (ha!)

How comfortable are you teaching challenging middle school math without a detailed HIG? My oldest did Discovering Math 7-8A and by the end the two of us were sitting around the solutions manual trying to understand the listed answer & a lot of the time having to wait for DH to get home and explain it. We ended up dropping DM and starting Algebra 1 over again with Lial's.

Math in Focus didn't have their middle school courses available at the time but if they did, that would be my choice.

My 2nd child is doing Elements of Mathematics online and I'm glad that I don't have to do the teaching.

Edited by Crimson Wife

How comfortable are you teaching challenging middle school math without a detailed HIG? My oldest did Discovering Math 7-8A and by the end the two of us were sitting around the solutions manual trying to understand the listed answer & a lot of the time having to wait for DH to get home and explain it. We ended up dropping DM and starting Algebra 1 over again with Lial's.

Math in Focus didn't have their middle school courses available at the time but if they did, that would be my choice.

My 2nd child is doing Elements of Mathematics online and I'm glad that I don't have to do the teaching.

I feel pretty confident through algebra 1/geometry. Much shakier for algebra 2 and beyond.

I think my biggest question is will Discovering CC 7 lead okay into Dimensions 8?

Edited by SEGway