Menu

Keeping everyone on the same page for History (question) .....

wehave8

Thinking of going all the way with Notgrass.

Would it be do-able to keep 4th, 7th, & 8th graders together, at least in the same era, the whole rest of the way?

I am so BURNED OUT with planning....I can't figure anymore.

We've really jumped around this year, starting with Middle Ages (Biblioplan), then.....well, I can't even remember  :confused1:  :lol:  :001_rolleyes:  :willy_nilly:

Any ideas/advise?

Pam

Edited by wehave8

I have no Notgrass experience, but I'd split that 4th grader off. The big two could do the same thing and should be able to run it on their own with you checking in as needed, and you can go chill with that 4th grader and SOTW.

• Like 3

I have no Notgrass experience, but I'd split that 4th grader off. The big two could do the same thing and should be able to run it on their own with you checking in as needed, and you can go chill with that 4th grader and SOTW.

Thanks! :)

Pam

Thinking of going all the way with Notgrass.

Would it be do-able to keep 4th, 7th, & 8th graders together, at least in the same era, the whole rest of the way?

I am so BURNED OUT with planning....I can't figure anymore.

We've really jumped around this year, starting with Middle Ages (Biblioplan), then.....well, I can't even remember :confused1: :lol: :001_rolleyes: :willy_nilly:

Any ideas/advise?

Pam

What didn't work with BP? Isn't it all planned out? Kids on the same page but using different books? Are you wanting them all reading the same books?

I agree that having the 4th grader reading the same thing as the 8th grader will be hard.

What didn't work with BP? Isn't it all planned out? Kids on the same page but using different books? Are you wanting them all reading the same books?

I agree that having the 4th grader reading the same thing as the 8th grader will be hard.

BP is a GREAT program!  I struggled with keeping or selling it.

I have always had trouble following a lit. history program.  My mind gets too cluttered, then nothing gets done, especially when I over extend myself and purchase too many 'extras' to the program.  I spent the time and money to print everything up and make nice notebooks for the 'extras' just to get behind for the next chapter, so there it ends.  After 29 years of homeschooling, I have realized I am a 'do all or none' type of person.

I've always wanted to be a unit study, SCM, and/or lit. driven homeschool, but it is just not me...at least for more than 3 or 4 weeks a school year.  I feel like I've really failed my kids by trying for so many years, and bombing.  I'd like to do maybe BJU DVDs,  but I think I can 'do' Notgrass.  I was hoping, by this point, I could finish off our year doing Geography, and next year We would do this plan:

2017-18:    4, 8 & 9 graders- Geography

2018-19:    8 & 9- Exploring World History;  5- From Adam to Us

2019-20:    9 &10- Exploring America;  6- America the Beautiful

2020-21:    10 & 11- Exploring Government and Economics;  7- Uncle Sam and You

The rest TBD

Make sense?  

Pam

BP is a GREAT program! I struggled with keeping or selling it.

I have always had trouble following a lit. history program. My mind gets too cluttered, then nothing gets done, especially when I over extend myself and purchase too many 'extras' to the program. I spent the time and money to print everything up and make nice notebooks for the 'extras' just to get behind for the next chapter, so there it ends. After 29 years of homeschooling, I have realized I am a 'do all or none' type of person.

I've always wanted to be a unit study, SCM, and/or lit. driven homeschool, but it is just not me...at least for more than 3 or 4 weeks a school year. I feel like I've really failed my kids by trying for so many years, and bombing. I'd like to do maybe BJU DVDs, but I think I can 'do' Notgrass. I was hoping, by this point, I could finish off our year doing Geography, and next year We would do this plan:

2017-18: 4, 8 & 9 graders- Geography

2018-19: 8 & 9- Exploring World History; 5- From Adam to Us

2019-20: 9 &10- Exploring America; 6- America the Beautiful

2020-21: 10 & 11- Exploring Government and Economics; 7- Uncle Sam and You

The rest TBD

Make sense?

Pam

That makes sense. And that Notgrass lineup seems like it would work. They will be studying the same thing but with different resources for the younger student and the older ones together. I'm not sure how well the high school vs middle school texts line up, but at least you'll be doing generally the same thing.

If Notgrass appeals to you and you think it will help you actually get things done, go for it! I know several families who really like it.

• Like 1

I did NOT want to use Notgrass because it's too religious for me, or something....but darned if it does WORK! It really does. And the supplemental books with the source material are WONDERFUL.

I'm really torn between using the for my next group of kids or Catholic Textbook Project. Notgras is just so USEABLE. 

• Like 1