Menu

Who is in the path of the Nor'Easter coming?

PrincessMommy

Well, it is finally over here and the sun is out. 

Thank goodness we know how to storm prep!!  I had put a case of gallon bottles of water in the deep freeze to rotate into the fridge once we lost power, which was inevitable.  So we didn't lose any food and I had charged everything including the power bank the day before.  Had candles ready in every room.

I left work at 4:30 Friday in extremely strong winds and driving rain.  I fell in the parking lot because the wind whipped rain in my eyes and I didn't see the pothole.  Got soaking wet in the puddle and skinned my hands and knees. Drove the opposite way of home to pick up the dog from day care then headed home.  Normal route home, road was flooded and blocked off, alternate way home, half way up the road and then a firetruck was blocking off the road due to a downed tree.  Detour was through flooded roads and it was a hell ride making a 45 minute trip into a 2 hour one.

Finally got home and the teens, who all congregated here, had filled the woodbox and got the stove going.  I finally got to look at my knee which had stung all the way home and there was a huge chunk of glass in it!  Did all my chores and ordered out, then the power went out.  Pizza place called to say they were closing so no take out. Cereal it was. Board games played by candlelight til bedtime.  The winds were howling and it sounded at times like a freight train!  Sheets of rain whipping throughout the night.

No power anywhere yesterday and it happened to be the day we had to help a friend move.  The winds were still so strong that the bucket trucks restoring power couldn't go up! All the kids helped bless their hearts and what a hell day.  Most of the routes to the new house were impassable.  Finally done by 3:00 to find out there was a shelter in place request from police.  So they all stayed here again and more people showed up who had no heat.  We have a gas stove so I made a huge batch of pasta to feed everyone.

We were very lucky to have no damage, we are on a hill, so no flooded basement and trees down but not on the house. 

• Like 2

We got power back yesterday afternoon after losing it the day before.  Power lines are snapped all over town, half the town is still under water, but our home has power.  You never realize how grateful you are for things like being able to flush until the pump is working again. :laugh:

• Like 4

We lost power for around 24 hours. Had enough wood to stay relatively comfortable overnight.

I wanted to make a hotel reservation and get out of the area once the storm ended, but all the main highways were blocked with stuck cars for a LONG time!

The scariest part was losing cell service for a few hours, especially with dh not here.

Internet is still out.

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 1

I live between Baltimore and Newark, DE and we had a major windstorm. Tons of trees down and there are still lots of people without power. 

The biggest effect we had was the closure of two of the three bridges that cross the Susquehanna River. It started with 2 semis flipping on their side.  A normally 2 hour ride resulted in people on the roads for 10-15 hours. People running out of gas, no food/water/bathrooms and sitting for hours. I actually got really lucky and crossed early enough but people who left 1 hour later than me, spent 2-3 hours getting home, normally taking them 20 minutes. Some of them weren't crossing the river but they couldn't get to their homes due to the gridlocked traffic. 

What scared me the most about it was that my husband and i work on one side of the river and live on the other. I have always been worried about not being able to get to my kids if something were to happen to the bridges. Luckily, my youngest is now 12 and my 17 year old was home so I wasn't too stressed. DH and i both got off work early so that helped, too. 

And another nor'easter is on its way. 

• Like 1

And another nor'easter is on its way. 

We're looking at Wednesday and possibly Sunday over here.  Part of me is seriously considering heading south.  Our volunteer fire companies have been running non-stop with too few people who aren't getting any sleep.  I'm out of resources to heat my house if we lose power again.  I'm tired.  A vacation sounds good...

• Like 2

Oh, we're playing this game again? :laugh:

Time for round 2, I guess. I bought single serve instant coffee at the grocery store today along with Pop Tarts, because if the power goes out again caffeine will be necessary and the 8yo can have a treat.

The water has still not receded from parts of town, and power is still being restored.  We're one of the lucky sheltered ones.  I hope that luck holds if it turns fierce again.

• Like 1

We're in the 12-18 inch band for Wednesday's storm.  Now we don't know if we should check out of the hotel tomorrow and hope they do in fact get our power on at some point tomorrow, and that we don't lose it again Wednesday, or just stay put. 

I think we're going to see if anyone is even working on the pole that is STILL blocking the road outside our neighborhood.  

• Like 1

No power here yet. They are predicting 8-12 inches Weds. Our power should be on tomorrow night.

We have a. wood stove, but the blower doesn't work without electricity.

I'm exhausted! Living without electricity is tough.

But my brother had a tree fall on his house, so I'm trying to keep things in perspective here.

No power here yet. They are predicting 8-12 inches Weds. Our power should be on tomorrow night.

We have a. wood stove, but the blower doesn't work without electricity.

I'm exhausted! Living without electricity is tough.

But my brother had a tree fall on his house, so I'm trying to keep things in perspective here.

I agree.  it is exhausting to live without electricity and I used to regularly go camping.  It's just different when you're at home.

Sorry about your brother's house!  Is everyone okay?