Menu

Who is in the path of the Nor'Easter coming?

PrincessMommy

We're expecting winds up to 60 miles an hour starting overnight.  

I'm just so glad I had a 60yr old sycamore that was leaning towards our house (and my son's bedroom) taken down this week.  Our ground is very saturated from rainfall.    They're expecting lots of down trees in our area.  I'm going to expect lost power as we have a lot of old trees in the neighborhood.

We're not expected to get snow but I understand that they are predicting blizzard conditions for New England and the North Eastern Seaboard.  

Stay safe everyone.  

• Like 1

We're expecting winds up to 60 miles an hour starting overnight.

I'm just so glad I had a 60yr old sycamore that was leaning towards our house (and my son's bedroom) taken down this week. Our ground is very saturated from rainfall. They're expecting lots of down trees in our area. I'm going to expect lost power as we have a lot of old trees in the neighborhood.

We're not expected to get snow but I understand that they are predicting blizzard conditions for New England and the North Eastern Seaboard.

Stay safe everyone.

Am I remembering correctly that during your house-hunting phase, you commented about the trees that would likely fall in a storm at one of the properties you looked at?

Y'all all stay safe and warm.

My trip to visit my very first niece had to be cancelled because of the storm.

She was born after Christmas and every time we plan a trip to visit her, the weather turns bad or someone catches a cold or whatever.

My kids are so disappointed.  This is their very first cousin and they want to meet her!

• Like 1

It is SOOOO wet here, so I'm definitely worried about trees and power lines coming down in the area.  Not necessarily on my property, because most of our trees are pretty skinny, but anything is possible.

The last time I checked, my forecast was for 5-10" of snow "with more possible at higher elevations". I'm in the higher elevations.  :glare:  If it really does go that high, it will be the most snow we've gotten all winter.

• Like 1

Wind is blowing here.

We told dd to wait to drive home because her route is the same as the storm path and her planned time put her traveling with the worst of it for 5 hours.

I'm a little bummed. I wanted to see her tonight. But it was easy to tell to wait until tomorrow.

• Like 1

We are.

I felt heartsick after our last major storm in January.  One of my favorite houses downtown had a tree fall on it.  The house was built in 1650.  They're still working on the roof and repairing what they can, and now they have this to deal with.

And I'm not in the slightest amused that the organizers haven't canceled kids' activities today.  DS had a busy morning on the schedule, starting with a quick dr.'s appt and moving on to these activities, but I don't know if we'll make it.  We're already being told not to drive on a number of the roads, leaving a narrow in-land strip to travel on.

• Like 1

Work is closed as are all the schools and activities. They're warning people to stay off the roads and stay in the lower levels of their houses. Had some snow and freezing rain this morning, but mostly just wind. I'm in the DC area.

Edited by MarieCurie
  • Like 1

Yes! We are in No. VA and many schools and the Federal Government have closed. That's a big deal around here with all the Federal workers. Sounds like our house is going to come apart 😧!!

Thank you for saying where you are. We are in NJ, nothing closed as far as I can tell from radio. So far, not bad here, rain and a bit of wind. I went to supermarket yesterday night, and it was crowded.

Hope everyone will be ok.

• Like 1

I was supposed to go into one of my jobs this morning, but was just texted not to come. I'm supposed to go to another job this afternoon, but probably won't get an announcement until this afternoon. 

Besides the wind downing trees, closing roads, etc one minor issue is it's trash day on my street. People put out trash and recycling the night before. Trash cans rolling everywhere. 

DH works at a college and it was closed this morning. We made sure to charge up everything last night in case power goes out for a few days. We’ll limit use on our electronics today.

We brought in an outside table and trash cans.

I hadn’t thought about the wet ground and trees. That’s scary. We have a few trees around here, but they seem to be firmly in the ground. Hope so!

We filled a bunch of milk jugs that were waiting for recycling with water and got them in the freezer so they’ll be huge blocks of ice in there if the power goes out.

We washed and dried all the clothes so everything would be clean if the power goes out and we can’t do laundry for a couple of days.

These were all dh’s ideas. He’s clever, that one. :). I didn’t even listen to any weather reports and would have been completely unprepared if he hadn’t come home last night with a to-do list for us.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Am I remembering correctly that during your house-hunting phase, you commented about the trees that would likely fall in a storm at one of the properties you looked at?

Y'all all stay safe and warm.

Yes that may have been ours.  Several of the trees were cut back and trimmed when we first moved in (they were hanging over the house) but this one wasn't hanging directly over the house- just leaning towards it  :scared:    There were also two diseased trees.  We took all three trees down on Tues. 

Everything seems to be closed here.   No trees down that I can see from my house.  But, lots of reports of downed trees on the radio.  Highest gusts were in the upper 60s overnight.  It seems to be dying down now - whew.  High winds predicted until tomorrow though    495 Loop around DC has several trees down across the highway.   My daughter's work closed and she's trying to come visit me but needs to get around one of the road blocks on 495.  

• Like 2

Northern NJ and most of the schools are closed except my town and the town I teach my classes in.  I texted the parents of students in my class today to see if they still wanted to come.  Right now it's a mix of rain and snow but they seem to have upped our snow totals from nearly nothing to 8-12 inches???  :ohmy:

I'm worried about the wind.  Our neighbor has a line of very tall pine trees along the fence line, some of which are 1/2 dead.  One came down and almost hit our house during Sandy (or Irene, I forget), it was suspended over the house held up by our swing set.   My house is small enough that one of those trees could take down the whole thing.   We already took down any concerning trees on our property.    There's a decent chance we'll lose power at some point.  

• Like 3

Northern NJ and most of the schools are closed except my town and the town I teach my classes in. I texted the parents of students in my class today to see if they still wanted to come. Right now it's a mix of rain and snow but they seem to have upped our snow totals from nearly nothing to 8-12 inches??? :ohmy:

I'm worried about the wind. Our neighbor has a line of very tall pine trees along the fence line, some of which are 1/2 dead. One came down and almost hit our house during Sandy (or Irene, I forget), it was suspended over the house held up by our swing set. My house is small enough that one of those trees could take down the whole thing. We already took down any concerning trees on our property. There's a decent chance we'll lose power at some point.

Northern NJ here too, but schools and everything else open. East of 287 sounds much better than west of 287.

Here snow was predicted to begin in late afternoon, but wet snow started falling just before 8 am. No wind yet though. I did some errands, seems pretty normal -- so far.

Me! Surprisingly, our schools were not closed, but dd heard rumors they are closing early. Since the schools south of us closed, I don’t have a teacher’s toddler that I normally have on Fridays, so I can leave ASAP to get ds from his school for spring break. Glad to be able to make the drive during the day, rather that tonight as I thought I’d have to. I’ve been checking traffic reports all morning for the drive, and there are two accidents on the mountain on the way there. That’s about two hours from me, so I’m hoping it’s cleared by the time I get there. If the mountain is closed, I have no idea how to get there!

Our cable internet went out for a few minutes earlier this morning. I expect that to happen all day.

It is crazy that our schools did not cancel. I’m seeing pictures of trees down on the road, taking power lines with them. Kids will end up stuck at school, if the roads are closed.

Yeah, I think that's why they closed schools here just to be safe.  Buses have to go through neighborhoods that may be effected.  We hardly had any snow here so there's some extra cushion for days off. 

Dh headed over to stay at the firehouse so he doesn't have to drive TO it for a call as the weather gets worse.  That means it's just me and the kids if we lose power.  I'm irresponsibly dragging my feet, though.  Still need to get showers done so I can fill the bathtubs.  I can handle a lot of things about not having electricity, but I always want to be able to flush a toilet!!!

(I'm not really being all that irresponsible.  I just made sure to pay all my bills online in case we do lose power, and therefore internet.)

• Like 1

I woke to my neighbor’s tree falling. No injuries but it fell away from me and took out the deck and some siding of another neighbor. I had all but saplings cut down on Monday, so I’m glad about that. Schools are closed.

I’m between Baltimore and D.C.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

Northern NJ here too, but schools and everything else open. East of 287 sounds much better than west of 287.

Here snow was predicted to begin in late afternoon, but wet snow started falling just before 8 am. No wind yet though. I did some errands, seems pretty normal -- so far.

We are west of 287 and north of 80.   I teach my science classes in Boonton so barely west of 287 but with all those hills, I'm really surprised they didn't close.

The parents of my students decided to stay home today and we'll use the make-up class next week.  Right now the snow is falling at about a 45 degree angle so I'm thinking it's pretty windy.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

Dh headed over to stay at the firehouse so he doesn't have to drive TO it for a call as the weather gets worse. That means it's just me and the kids if we lose power. I'm irresponsibly dragging my feet, though. Still need to get showers done so I can fill the bathtubs. I can handle a lot of things about not having electricity, but I always want to be able to flush a toilet!!!

(I'm not really being all that irresponsible. I just made sure to pay all my bills online in case we do lose power, and therefore internet.)

Are you on a well? Wondering why electricity affects your plumbing...

We are expecting high winds and the winds have been pretty loud, but so far everything is fine. Schools are closed. I've never seen schools closed for wind before. We have tall trees near our house but they are skinny and sway well, and we have enough food to last through the weekend or so. My cat is mad because I won't let him outside, but everything else is normal. DH just went to get the oil changed and go shopping. 

Are you on a well? Wondering why electricity affects your plumbing...

Yup.  And septic, but that can hang in there for a while without the pump running.  The well just goes bye-bye!  

Already hearing about some power outtages in the region.  Now I've got a forecast that thinks I could get as much as 15" of wet, heavy snow.  This is very not good, so I'll just chug some coffee and laugh until it's time to cry, lol.

• Like 1

We’ve got around 8 inches and lots of power outages in the area, though we have electric. DH has been at the firehouse since sometime in the night dealing with downed electric lines and trees on homes.

Kids and I are watching TV and cleaning. Very exciting.

We are west of 287 and north of 80. I teach my science classes in Boonton so barely west of 287 but with all those hills, I'm really surprised they didn't close.

The parents of my students decided to stay home today and we'll use the make-up class next week. Right now the snow is falling at about a 45 degree angle so I'm thinking it's pretty windy.

NW NJ is so beautiful! Defies all the NJ stereotypes, lol. We go hiking and camping up there with our various scouting groups. Stokes State Forest is amazing. And I especially love all the farmland just east of the State Fairgrounds.

Still wet snow/rain here, cleared off roads, sticking to grass, but not accumulating. No real wind.

• Like 1

I am in No VA too and dd's school canceled. We did laundry last night and charged up everything. 

So far the power has gone out 6 times and flickered more than that. Keeps coming back, though! I keep resetting the clocks! lol No huge limbs yet, but we are in the woods and there are lots of very tall, very slender trees that are literally whipping back and forth when the gusts come. 

• Like 1

Because people on my FB are probably sick of my weather posts, lol.

My anxiety is being weird.  It's usually all in my brain and makes my adrenaline go mad.  Instead, my adrenaline is maintaining and my brain is nonchalant, but my stomach is going bonkers.  It knows this is no joke, but I think the rest of my body is trying a fake out, lol.

• Like 1

Well, so far here it's just a bunch of rain and gusty wind.  I think it's much worse on the coast where there's supposed to be much stronger wind, waves, high tides and flooding - we're about an hour inland.  It's supposed to snow and give us up to 6" tonight, but that's fairly dependent on what the temperature does and how much precipitation ends up snow vs. rain, so I guess we'll see.  Mostly only schools on the coast have been cancelled today.

I'm spending the afternoon watching a neighbor's tree, I am completely in awe of the contortions it has gone through since getting up this morning - quite impressive. I really hope it doesn't fall, new people just bought the house and moved in this week - that would suck. 

I'm also grateful I can't see trees that would threaten my house.

• Like 2

So far, so good here.  I live in the middle of a small forest, so by the time the wind gets to the house it's less than it would be if I drove a mile.  I must have been riding a luck dragon this morning, though, because I came out just ahead of destruction.  Drove down the main town roads - not long after, they were flooded and trees down.  Drove down to the next town for ds's activity - right after I came home it was closed due to flooding.  The waves are coming in hard.  Drove home - the road I usually take was closed by a downed tree.

Now, otoh, the children who went to school today.....half the town has floodings, power outages, and downed trees.  The superintendent sent out a message to parents that if they live on these roads, the buses will not be able to drop off the kids, so the parents have to come pick them up. :huh:  How?  Their roads are closed!  Incredibly bad decision on the town's part, especially since they warned people yesterday the roads would flood.

• Like 1

Half my fence is gone and the basement is flooding. The other side of town is without power so I suspect we will lose it eventually as well. Shoot I should fix supper before it goes. wah-wah.

Oh no!!!  So sorry about the damage, especially the flooding!!!

A largish branch tore off a tree and hit the house, and some aluminum trim has come down.  It's too scary out there to go check the damage.

Cell phones aren't working well.  Roads all around us are closed.  DOT can't keep up and the 911 lines are jammed.  But I still have power for now.

• Like 1

Our power has been out since about 11. Trees are down all over but none near our house so far. Mostly we’re getting bored. Our power comes from some lines near a main road that have trees on them. I’m hoping that means it will be a priority to fix once the winds die down since they’ll want access to that road. Our house is large and some of these gusts make it shake!

I was up late last night spraying foam insulation in a damaged wall that could be vulnerable to the extra rain. Fingers crossed, we will see if that does the trick....

I encountered lots of downed trees and power outages on the way to pick up my DC at school. The wind is quite fierce. I will be glad to get back inside soon, after dance class ends. This dance teacher pretty much never cancels class; even when our neighborhood was on a lockdown order after the marathon bombing, the teacher said that it had no affect on the dance class schedule.

We lost power about 1am.  There were trees down in both directions leaving our neighborhood until they had to clear one way to get a fire truck through for one of our neighbors who had a chimney fire this morning.  We hung around home with the fireplace going until about 11am, then came to my mother's house since she has power.  

One local PD is estimating mid-week to restore power, while the electric company isn't even giving estimates at all.   :thumbdown:   We're heading to a hotel for the night, then if it's not on tomorrow we'll come back to my mother's with camping stuff and camp out in her living room.

I'm mildly worried about our snake, but she's a corn snake so should be able to handle the temperatures especially since she hasn't eaten recently.  I don't think my son's Betta fish will make it unless power comes on tonight.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

We never lost power.  I'm so thankful.  We're new to this older neighborhood and I was expecting the worst.  Most older neighborhoods in my area lose power frequently.

My oldest dd came over for the day.  She had her 3rd baby last Sat.  While she was here visiting, her dh called to say the power had gone out at their apartment. So they camped out here for the night.  Extra baby snuggles for me   :hurray:

We did end up losing a tree at hte back of our property.  It was an old pine tree that we were considering removing in a few years.  Mother nature did it for free.  It took down the tree next to it. It's half in my yard an half in my neighbor's back yard.  So I'll have to figure out what to do.  Neighbors are renters and I saw that the house is in foreclosure.  Not sure the neighbor will care.

Glad people are staying warm .

Where's Toto - I hope the power comes up sooner than they predict. Glad you had someplace warm to sleep

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1