Menu

What's with the ads?

Margaret in CO

Another thing to consider...

It finally happened--kid a loooooooong ways away at university. And with a broken leg. We were lucky when older sis blew out her ankle, we happened to be there. New rule--no child of mine is allowed to go on the Marine Obstacle Course! I've decided. I'll be informing several branches of the military forthwith. 

• Like 8

Oh, she has to stay there--no choice. And crutches will be fun with the nor'easter that is predicted. At least when her sister did it, it was fall. Middle dd did drop out for a semester with her third hip surgery--she couldn't handle the sidewalks in Wyoming. Dd will just have to tough it out. Her spring break plans just changed, though. 

• Like 1

The plan was she was traveling to Montreal with some friends. A plane ticket home now is going to be insane. So, we're not sure what's happening. They can't cast it until tomorrow. 

We may snag a ticket around $800. Still horrible, but what do we do? Did I mention that I have to have cataract and glaucoma surgery in there? It can't be moved because of dh's oncology appointments. And did a I mention that we start lambing in a week? I can't wait on the surgery as oldest has her LAST doctoral recital the first week of April and I'm going. Not sure how we're going to pull this off!

It might amuse you to know that I first read that your oldest was having her final "doctor rectal" the first week of April. A doctoral recital sounds much preferable  :lol:

That is a LOT going on. I would be a red hot mess if my dd broke her leg, and she is just a 7 hour drive away. I electronically hover when she gets sick (in my defense, both of my kids have this tendency to suddenly get very sick). 

In case you don't know, there are some apps that let you enter various flights, and they give you a price alert when it drops to a certain amount. If you have a bit of flexibility, just put in as many flights as possible. Skyscanner is one that has good reviews. 

• Like 3

So sorry. Can she get a knee scooter instead of crutches? I can't imagine doing crutches on ice and snow! It was hard enough in the rain when I was in college. 

Also, and I am sure you know, remind her to ice that injury. She can ice the back of the knee if the break is too painful to put ice on. 

Good luck

She's got ice on it now, as she's still in the infirmary, overnight. She had ankle surgery (other ankle) 2 years ago, so she's familiar with the drill. I keep telling myself--it could be worse--she could be overseas. She could be in the Gulf! I wish Norwich had a sponsor family setup like USNA does. 

Do they have transportation accommodations for those with disabilities? My Dd who has RA has a ride accommodation if she goes into a flare. They will send transportation to her dorm and class buildings if she thinks she can't walk. (She has never had to use it, but it is there, so I know it exists.) She also has excused permission for late arrival. I am wondering if she can get temporary disability accommodations bc crutches and snow does not sound very fun.

• Like 2

Oh, no!  This is one of my very few fears about my kids going away.  I've shepherded them both through so many injuries, and I am good at it because I've had so much practice.  It is going to be hard the first time one of them is banged up and I am not there.  I hope all goes well with casting tomorrow (today?).

Wow! My post completely missed the mark since I failed to offer my sympathy! I am sorry, Margaret! It really is no fun to deal with these situations remotely.

Well, just about the worst possible news--she needs a plate in her leg. The fracture has slipped. And she has tendon damage. Surgery tomorrow. It's going to be $1300 to fly dh out there, plus hotels and a car. I can't go. I can't drive at night at ALL. I don't know if he can go as I don't know when his next oncology appointment is (he refuses to put them on the calendar). Not sure how this is going to work.

I’m so sorry to hear it’s worse than originally thought. I hope the surgery goes well and that your husband will be able to be there with her.

A Norwich mom is going to drive up to sit with  her (isn't that amazing!)--a senior cadre will drive her up. Hour and a half of surgery, 2 hours in recovery. Dh is not going to go at this point as he can't do anything. She has to remain in barracks. We'll know tomorrow if she can fly home for spring break. Middle dd can pick her up at DIA. It's all overwhelming. This hasn't been a good year so far... 

So, prayer would be appreciated!

• Like 6

That is so frustrating, but it sounds like she's getting good support on campus. Whether she comes home or is stuck hanging about in the barracks, I hope she's able to rest and heal quickly!

Thanks all. I haven't heard if she's out of surgery yet. The Norwich mom actually ended up not taking her, as her dd took her. The dd is in Cavalry with her. Waiting to hear if she can travel home over break, go to my brother's, or to a WTM mom's house! I didn't sleep last night--finally fell asleep at 0200, but then started getting all the phone calls at 0500. I have to chair a meeting tonight--I'm going to be walking into walls by then!

• Like 3

She's out, back in barracks, and turns out she had her cadre take her. She flies home on Friday, and it looks like she didn't have to have her ankle reconstructed. So, she'll be home for part of lambing (they're her sheep) and she can check during the day whilst her sis is at work and I'm in surgery. She can't DO anything but call friends, but she can hobble out there and check. Thank you all for the prayers. And, yes, I'm walking into walls. 

• Like 9

So happy for the latest turn of events. (((Hugs))) wow what a load you have to deal with. Prayers for healing for her leg and peace for you all.

Sending positive thoughts for a smooth recovery for your daughter, Margaret.  And hoping you're now catching up on missed sleep.

Regards,

Kareni

Well, actually I'm writing the nightly letters. We had a good Scout committee meeting (and I got paid back for a big bill) and so I only have about 2 hours of Scout stuff to do tomorrow. I have NO idea what this troop is going to do when I finally retire! I convinced middle to take my car on Friday, so the cadet can stretch out in the middle seat. And other good news--my cataract surgery is not going to cost near what I thought it would. Of course, we have an unplanned plane ticket, but it could be worse. I'm trying to think of my surgery as a gift from my dad--the money is from him. He'd be 103 now! We'll see how much all of dd's surgery is going to be. But, all the renters paid their rent almost on time, and one new set paid most of their deposit and the old renters are paid off and OUT of our lives! Things can only get better, right???

• Like 12

Further update--it was a spiral fracture. So, plate AND huge pin in the ankle. And the insurance denied my glaucoma surgery, but I had to have it done. Another $2000. And now the stent is not working. My eye pressure is through the roof. We've lambed two ewes. Middle dd had to pull one lamb, only cadet can't go in the pens and neither can I due to the dust. So, I'm standing on a slanty bridge, talking dd through: work each foot, make sure the head is following, pull down towards the hocks, rotate just a bit. She never really pulled lambs because she raised Shetlands and they lambed on their own. Both lambs look good, but mom didn't have water for hours because I can't lift a bucket and the cadet can't carry anything with her crutches. I'm going to have to figure out how to carry 5 lbs. of water. It will be a lot of trips. My elbows are very sore because I keep crashing into doorways as I can't see. My surgery eye is to 20/70 from 20/400, so that's good. I can't imagine doing this again. Dh lost the prescription for the Xanax before the next one. I didn't go to the big Scout thing I was hosting as my meds didn't hit until after surgery. I slept for 4 hours. Pain yesterday was horrific, but it's better today. 

• Like 2

Further update--it was a spiral fracture. So, plate AND huge pin in the ankle. And the insurance denied my glaucoma surgery, but I had to have it done. Another $2000. And now the stent is not working. My eye pressure is through the roof. We've lambed two ewes. Middle dd had to pull one lamb, only cadet can't go in the pens and neither can I due to the dust. So, I'm standing on a slanty bridge, talking dd through: work each foot, make sure the head is following, pull down towards the hocks, rotate just a bit. She never really pulled lambs because she raised Shetlands and they lambed on their own. Both lambs look good, but mom didn't have water for hours because I can't lift a bucket and the cadet can't carry anything with her crutches. I'm going to have to figure out how to carry 5 lbs. of water. It will be a lot of trips. My elbows are very sore because I keep crashing into doorways as I can't see. My surgery eye is to 20/70 from 20/400, so that's good. I can't imagine doing this again. Dh lost the prescription for the Xanax before the next one. I didn't go to the big Scout thing I was hosting as my meds didn't hit until after surgery. I slept for 4 hours. Pain yesterday was horrific, but it's better today. 

Dear lord.

What a day. Thinking of your lambies. And he lost the prescription for xanax, icing on the cake!

Well, it was just one pill. They have you take one before the eye surgery. It seems SO silly that they couldn't write it for two, since I was having another surgery. I just hope they'll reissue the prescription. Now that I know that cataract surgery is not "quick and painless!", I'm going to want that one pill. "Oh, you won't feel a thing! You'll get up and be able to SEE!" HA! It hurt like heck and I felt every stinkin' thing they did. And then sat up to NO sight... 

Ug ug ug.

So sorry about your eye.

That is terrible about the fracture.  She'll be feeling that for the rest of her life.  She now has a built in barometer.  I hope they got her put back together well.

Can you use a sled to shift the water?  I have been successful using a kid's sled (not the big ones used ice fishing or for fire wood or on the salt marshes here) in some unlikely places, like the house.  If I put the rope around my waist, I can use my legs to do the pulling.  Filling and emptying is slow but the shifting part is easy.

Nan

Dh said he fed the ewes in the jugs. He didn't. So, I went in the jug with the hay. Closed my eyes and heaved. I stood there for 2 minutes waiting for the dust to settle. The mommas had enough water to get by (though it was nasty) and I hooked up the hose to the bunkhouse hydrant and filled the tank. Dh said he did. He hadn't. It was completely dry. The cadet couldn't help because there is still ice in there from last night's storm. And I managed to sew on Scout patches for dh by taking off my glasses, closing one eye, and sewing 2 inches from the needle. His new SM patch is sort of straight. I didn't want to lose the knot, the patch, and the device--it's really tiny. I'll have to order more for other shirts. We need to put in an order for service stars anyway--I forgot to tell the new advancement guy about that before Court of Honor. Now to tell dh that I have an eye appointment on Tuesday, which means he has to take off work. He's not going to be happy. I turned in photos to the paper. I hope they weren't blurry--I can't tell!

Talking to ds last night--looks like he's not going to stay in Golden for a year. If nothing changes, he'll Commission in May, but not go active duty until NEXT March. Cyber school is backed up. He's losing his roommate. He can stay at his current job, but can't afford to live where he does now. He has a potential offer in TX, where the gf will be in grad school. If won't be as much as his current position but he'll be paying 2/3 less rent. But, it's TX... That means I'll have NO ONE in CO but the dd who lives here. Squeeze them tight, ladies. It goes by quickly. 

• Like 1

I'm to the lovely stage where I can't see WITH my glasses as the right eye is wrong, but I can't see WITHOUT my glasses as the left eye is wrong. Can you say headache? I can't imagine another month of this. 

Dd has an ortho appointment today, in VT. I assume they'll x-ray again, and then cast. Hoping for only 6 more weeks in the cast. I have no idea how she's going to get to PT. 

• Like 1

I am sure that is so hard!  My kids play sports and one is thinking about playing at college, and this exact scenario is what I keep thinking about!  So hard to be far away!

• Like 1